The Political Gun Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 May 2022, 10:32am
So Trump is speaking at the NRA convention this weekend and firearms aren't allowed at that portion. Doesn't that completely give it away that they don't actually believe that guns make you safer? Per the "good guy with a gun" theory, you'd want everyone to have a gun in that room to shoot any bad guy that has a gun.
Defenders are claiming the Secret Service won’t let guns be permitted (i.e., guv’mint).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Because, you know, when you think about it, gun owners are like Jews murdered in pogroms over the centuries: https://reason.com/volokh/2022/05/27/we ... against-us
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

This.
At the VERY LEAST.
Attachments
FTyZ8caUUAIJ37E.jpg
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2022, 6:32pm
Because, you know, when you think about it, gun owners are like Jews murdered in pogroms over the centuries: https://reason.com/volokh/2022/05/27/we ... against-us
The persecution of Jews, the ostracisation of black athletes in the early 20th century, the struggle for civil rights, the demonisation of immigrants, racism towards muslims and, eh, the discrimination of people wielding automatic rifles and sub machine guns. Just all one long continuous pattern. It never stops.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I swear by almighty fucking God.. .

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, so, so much freedom in one picture.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 May 2022, 3:10am
I swear by almighty fucking God.. .

Kind of surprised the guy on the far left of the picture wasn't wearing a NRA or MAGA hat, he looks more like a burned out hippie to me.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I think it was a comment in that wacko blog post I linked above, but one person suggested that gun nut fetishists are distinct from other fetishes in that they think they are superior, more virtuous than others. Bronies or scat fetishists know they're weirdos; they're cool with it, obviously, but they know the thing that gets their motor humming is strange. Gun nuts, tho, act like they've figured out the solution to all life's problems and the rest of us are the freaks.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

This guy makes some really good points.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
29 May 2022, 11:18am
This guy makes some really good points.

Hello,

It's hard to argue with his points. Show this at the NRA convention and ask them for their rebuttal.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

The gun thing is interesting for me as an Australian. Guns just don't exist in our culture, even our criminals barely have them. There are many countries in the world that can prove to America that it's possible to have far greater safety without guns. But getting from where America is right now to where other countries are isn't easy and no one should act like it's just a matter of bringing in some 'gun control' laws.

Where it gets interesting to me is that I'm a leftist of the anarchist persuasion and it's this isn't compatible with a state monopoly on violence, which heavy gun regulation really is. It's saying that only the state's chosen people get guns (e.g. police and military).

And if I were a parent in America, in the short term, knowing that police are no fucking help, I'd be thinking about buying guns just to be able to rush to school and save my fucking child if I needed to.

So many things are broken, there is no easy answer.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Some epic trolling right here.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote: