Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 7:41pm
weller259 wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 1:42pm
This is a total disgrace.
Republicans are the SOLE reason this is fact.
This shit NEEDS TO STOP.
There is only one way.
Vote ALL those motherfuckers OUT!
I wonder what our forefather's would do if they were here today and saw what a shit show the wording of the second amendment has caused us. :sad:
They'd be too freaked out about all the black people running around without masters.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Sparky wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 7:41pm
weller259 wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 1:42pm
This is a total disgrace.
Republicans are the SOLE reason this is fact.
This shit NEEDS TO STOP.
There is only one way.
Vote ALL those motherfuckers OUT!
I wonder what our forefather's would do if they were here today and saw what a shit show the wording of the second amendment has caused us. :sad:
I'm sure our forefathers would have a shitload of things to say about how their document has been misused and misrepresented by greedy slimeballs for nefarious purposes.
One thing they did not see was how money/greed would be the number 1 factor in demolishing the democracy they created for this country.
And yeah the whole 2nd Amendment distorting has been nothing short of criminal.
Such is America nowadays. A total fucking disastrous disgrace.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Someone using a gun to shoot a tyrannical supreme court justice seems to be squarely and indisputably the point of the second amendment. Seems weird all the right wing psychos in this country are crying about it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

It was only a matter of time, but my suburb is the home of the latest mass shooting. We’re fine. We were miles away thankfully.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 1:15pm
It was only a matter of time, but my suburb is the home of the latest mass shooting. We’re fine. We were miles away thankfully.
The Mrs. & I were just talking about this after seeing it on a news update. Glad you and your family are safe and far away from it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Wolter wrote:
I thought of you as soon as i heard about it. Glad you all are okay.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
That "only a matter of time" is so depressing because, really, it's not hyperbole anymore. But, as others have said, we're all relieved you and yours are safe.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Thanks all. We’re still sheltering in place. It’s a tough one. Not gonna lie.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Y'know, when these attacks occur, I often pause to think that there are people whose response is—beyond the, I'm sure, very sincere thoughts and prayers—that the solution is to have even more guns, especially the high-powered kind, out there. There just aren't enough guns out there to finally decrease gun violence, the alchemical equation hasn't yet been reached. And these people don't think of themselves as heartless.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 8:08am
Y'know, when these attacks occur, I often pause to think that there are people whose response is—beyond the, I'm sure, very sincere thoughts and prayers—that the solution is to have even more guns, especially the high-powered kind, out there. There just aren't enough guns out there to finally decrease gun violence, the alchemical equation hasn't yet been reached. And these people don't think of themselves as heartless.
Hello,

I tend to think there is a vocal group of people with this mentality - though probably small, they are vocal: "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." On the (thankfully) rare occasions when I see someone with a gun, I immediately ask "Okay, if someone comes in here shooting people, does this guy fire back or does he immediately run for the door?"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 9:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I tend to think there is a vocal group of people with this mentality - though probably small, they are vocal: "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." On the (thankfully) rare occasions when I see someone with a gun, I immediately ask "Okay, if someone comes in here shooting people, does this guy fire back or does he immediately run for the door?"
Or, more likely, freeze in the moment. Cops and soldiers with training for those situations sometimes freeze. There have been studies where people gathered have been told in advance that there is going to be a fake attack some time that day (in a school or office building), and even with that forewarning, when the time comes, most people freeze up. It's that exaggerated sense of our own ability to thrive in as high a stress situation as one can imagine. The idea that just because your adrenalin gets runnin' at the shooting range you'll perform when someone suddenly starts shooting at you is such absurd self-confidence.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 10:06am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Or, more likely, freeze in the moment. Cops and soldiers with training for those situations sometimes freeze. There have been studies where people gathered have been told in advance that there is going to be a fake attack some time that day (in a school or office building), and even with that forewarning, when the time comes, most people freeze up. It's that exaggerated sense of our own ability to thrive in as high a stress situation as one can imagine. The idea that just because your adrenalin gets runnin' at the shooting range you'll perform when someone suddenly starts shooting at you is such absurd self-confidence.
I think tv/movies play into this a lot. The belief that "I would have ...", or "he/she should have..." or perhaps when the "hero" blows away the bad guys in the nick of time "that's what I would have done", they think to themselves. So yeah "if only I had a gun I'd make the right choice". If I was there with my gun I could have stopped him.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 10:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 10:06am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I think tv/movies play into this a lot. The belief that "I would have ...", or "he/she should have..." or perhaps when the "hero" blows away the bad guys in the nick of time "that's what I would have done", they think to themselves. So yeah "if only I had a gun I'd make the right choice". If I was there with my gun I could have stopped him.
Video games, where the person actually does get to participate, not just watch, takes the fantasy up another notch.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 10:34am
Hello,

From 2018:

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/60214382 ... lf-defense
Precisely. But, boy o boy, the gun lobby loves to trumpet those rainbow unicorn events when someone with a gun does manage to thwart the bad guy. Like a Patriots fan who brags they led 3-0 in the Super Bowl against the Bears.