Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 10:22am
In some respects, it's like smoking pot. Fine, if that's what you like and it serves a positive purpose, but turning it into a *culture*, something that is celebrated and fetishized and shapes people's identities, yeah, you've crossed a line into a really dumb and disturbing zone. Christmas cards with your guns, needing to own multiple guns, going out in public visibly (and multiply) armed—you're an anti-social weirdo who deserves shunning. If you can't imagine life without being armed, you're a sad, addicted creature.
Yes, exactly. It's the turning it into a culture that disturbs me the most. My grandfather had several rifles, but they were tools used for hunting. They were stored in the basement like shovels for most of the year. I also know people who just like going target shooting (and to be completely transparent, I've also enjoyed that now and then) and when they're not shooting, their guns stay locked up and out of sight. It's a hobby, not a fetish. This idea that you need to thump your chest and force your guns on the world is disturbing and yes, dumb.
Just kind of curious if others noticed this chest thumping, fetishization of guns as a recent development. When I was growing up, I saw a few NRA stickers here and there, but it wasn't really on the radar as far as I remember. Everyone owned a rifle because everyone hunted deer, but it never went beyond that. It seems like maybe the past 20 years things had taken a turn toward *gestures widely* whatever this is.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 10:54am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In some respects, it's like smoking pot. Fine, if that's what you like and it serves a positive purpose, but turning it into a *culture*, something that is celebrated and fetishized and shapes people's identities, yeah, you've crossed a line into a really dumb and disturbing zone. Christmas cards with your guns, needing to own multiple guns, going out in public visibly (and multiply) armed—you're an anti-social weirdo who deserves shunning. If you can't imagine life without being armed, you're a sad, addicted creature.
Yes, exactly. It's the turning it into a culture that disturbs me the most. My grandfather had several rifles, but they were tools used for hunting. They were stored in the basement like shovels for most of the year. I also know people who just like going target shooting (and to be completely transparent, I've also enjoyed that now and then) and when they're not shooting, their guns stay locked up and out of sight. It's a hobby, not a fetish. This idea that you need to thump your chest and force your guns on the world is disturbing and yes, dumb.
Just kind of curious if others noticed this chest thumping, fetishization of guns as a recent development. When I was growing up, I saw a few NRA stickers here and there, but it wasn't really on the radar as far as I remember. Everyone owned a rifle because everyone hunted deer, but it never went beyond that. It seems like maybe the past 20 years things had taken a turn toward *gestures widely* whatever this is.
I'm not sure when I first noticed it, but yeah, I think it's more of a recent development.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 11:21am
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not sure when I first noticed it, but yeah, I think it's more of a recent development.
I think it really started to pop when the the right wing talking heads started claiming that the black guy president was going to take their guns away.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 2:05pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think it really started to pop when the the right wing talking heads started claiming that the black guy president was going to take their guns away.
Plus the Facebook/Twitter echo chamber effect. Amp up the fear but also the means of showing solidarity.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sounds about right. For some reason, I was thinking the tea-bagger party had something to do with it during the Cheney years, I mean Bush years.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 2:17pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Sounds about right. For some reason, I was thinking the tea-bagger party had something to do with it during the Cheney years, I mean Bush years.
I was going to comment that I recall this too. Not as heavily yet, but definitely something being talked about.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/colorado ... 1b88cd0d3c

Flex: How much support does this legislation have in the state?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 5:32pm
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/colorado ... 1b88cd0d3c

Flex: How much support does this legislation have in the state?
I think it's all pretty good. Anything that builds in "cool down" type periods for gun purchases is gonna be good, and while I've read some critiques of red flag laws as disproportionately potentially impacting minorities and the vulnerable, in practice I don't think there's really been much evidence this is happening.

I'm also intrigued by the possibility of holding gun manufacturers liable in some capacity, we'll see what actually happens there.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 9:49am
I'm also intrigued by the possibility of holding gun manufacturers liable in some capacity, we'll see what actually happens there.
I'm curious by what criteria this could be done. It's not the same thing as Ford making cars with faulty brakes; the car is expected to stop. But if a gun kills someone, it's performed as designed. But, duh, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm obviously missing something.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 10:23am
Flex wrote:
I'm curious by what criteria this could be done. It's not the same thing as Ford making cars with faulty brakes; the car is expected to stop. But if a gun kills someone, it's performed as designed. But, duh, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm obviously missing something.
Similar?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/15/nyre ... ement.html

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/5-dead-te ... d=98957271
When authorities arrived at the location, they found several victims shot at the property, police said. Three of the deceased were females and two were males, including the youngest, an 8-year-old boy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 11:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 10:23am
Flex wrote:
Similar?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/15/nyre ... ement.html
I'm a bit discomforted by that argument. That is, the basis of so much advertising for over a century has been telling people that there's something wrong with their life and this product will fix it. Can't get that promotion? It's because your breath could melt a wrench—buy Listerine. Feeling lonely? Bud Light Lime time, baby! Again, tho, my legal ignorance could be hindering me here.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

8 people dead in shooting at Texas outler mall

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
06 May 2023, 10:59pm
8 people dead in shooting at Texas outler mall