The Future of the Republican Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Mimi »

If real, this just makes my brain shrivel to a raisin.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This is not a very cheery piece - it may well be true.

https://archive.ph/u8FMz

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 6:50pm
Hello,

This is not a very cheery piece - it may well be true.

https://archive.ph/u8FMz
The one thing the Never Trumpers haven't figured out is that Trump isn't a deviation of what the GOP has been since at least Nixon, but a distillation. They cry about a betrayal of Reagan blah blah blah, but this has been getting down to the nitty gritty of white grievance and paranoia that the party has been brewing for decades now. This is the stuff that the "principled conservatives" have been purposefully ignoring for years, especially when critics have pointed it out. Own this shit and own your unwillingness to acknowledge the cancer that's been there from the start.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

It's a party of Little Eichmanns, always has been and always will be. But the cocktail-party-friendly veneer of plausible deniability is gone. It turns out the masses of wretched fascist grievance addicts always despised those among them whi insisted on such polite fictions. Good. Now everyone is clear on who is who and what is what.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 7:39pm
It's a party of Little Eichmanns, always has been and always will be. But the cocktail-party-friendly veneer of plausible deniability is gone. It turns out the masses of wretched fascist grievance addicts always despised those among them whi insisted on such polite fictions. Good. Now everyone is clear on who is who and what is what.
That’s prefect.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/make-the- ... ch-program

Honestly, the Trump takeover of the RNC is going to prove the initialism ETTD—Everything Trump Touches Dies—true again. Incompetency fused with fealty is going to cripple it. The end game is almost certainly to call it the Trump Party.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 11:15am

Honestly, the Trump takeover of the RNC is going to prove the initialism ETTD—Everything Trump Touches Dies—true again. Incompetency fused with fealty is going to cripple it. The end game is almost certainly to call it the Trump Party.
He's got maybe 4 or 5 okay years left if he even makes it that far. I just wonder what happens after he passes? I assume people trying to replicate his popularity.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 11:15am

He's got maybe 4 or 5 okay years left if he even makes it that far. I just wonder what happens after he passes? I assume people trying to replicate his popularity.
Which is easier said that done. Look at all the Maggots who have tried to replicate his schtick and failed (hell, even he has only win, and that required a lot of things breaking just right). Cults of personality aren’t easy to pass on. Which isn’t me being all sanguine and saying everything will be fine in the end, only that there’s a lot of challenges for a possible successor to keep it all together.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WWK, are you familiar with this place?
https://www.newsweek.com/bar-will-shut- ... nc-1880034

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 10:48am
I have to admire the owner for putting his principles ahead of profits.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 11:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Glass half-full. Glass half-empty, it's promo to appeal to people who hate Trump. Lose some money for a week, get a lot more in the long run. I'd lean to the principle thing if he did it quietly. :meh:

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 11:37am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Glass half-full. Glass half-empty, it's promo to appeal to people who hate Trump. Lose some money for a week, get a lot more in the long run. I'd lean to the principle thing if he did it quietly. :meh:
Hello,

I share your sentiment but I recall another principle of business is to make money.

I guess this is why I'm not a businessman.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree with you that there's two sides to it, but I'm pleased that people are speaking out against Trump and his supporters, I wish more people would.

I think a lot of people are swayed in their rationalization that it's OK to vote for him because, "heck, everybody else seems to be". The reality is it's cult mentality, I've never seen nor do I ever expect to see people dressed up like fools to support Biden, flying Biden flags, trading cards etc...

We live in a pretty conservative, somewhat MAGA town, I don't hesitate to speak up when I hear my neighbors blaming every thing on "the dems" and repeating the Trumpy false narrative, a couple of fact checks just shuts them down like magic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 1:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree with you that there's two sides to it, but I'm pleased that people are speaking out against Trump and his supporters, I wish more people would.

I think a lot of people are swayed in their rationalization that it's OK to vote for him because, "heck, everybody else seems to be". The reality is it's cult mentality, I've never seen nor do I ever expect to see people dressed up like fools to support Biden, flying Biden flags, trading cards etc...

We live in a pretty conservative, somewhat MAGA town, I don't hesitate to speak up when I hear my neighbors blaming every thing on "the dems" and repeating the Trumpy false narrative, a couple of fact checks just shuts them down like magic.
I'm cautiously optimistic that the fever is breaking somewhat. The proof is still months away, but there's evidence that there are more Republicans who won't be voting the ticket. It helps that so far Trump has made no effort to appeal to Haley's supporters. So, sure, he's got an iron grip on the party machinery, but so far he's bring his patented incompetency to that as well. One thing about cults, they don't tolerate being losers forever—they go off to something else.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 1:21pm
Sparky wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 1:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the fever is breaking somewhat. The proof is still months away, but there's evidence that there are more Republicans who won't be voting the ticket. It helps that so far Trump has made no effort to appeal to Haley's supporters. So, sure, he's got an iron grip on the party machinery, but so far he's bring his patented incompetency to that as well. One thing about cults, they don't tolerate being losers forever—they go off to something else.
I'd settle for them having a Kool-Aid party.