Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 12:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 12:27pm
JennyB wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 12:15pm
It's really terrifying. I started watching the PBS doc on America's complicity in the Holocaust (it's Ken Burns, so he's pretty much letting FDR off the hook for everything) and the parallels are frightening. Especially regarding immigrants.
I'm going to dl that once it gets torrented. I'm intrigued to see how he can give FDR a pass, tho. At best, I'd argue that FDR knew it was an issue where he'd be fighting so much of the country, including powerful Southern figures in his own party (he had to compromise a whooole lot to keep them in line for Social Security, meaning excluding categories of employment dominated by African Americans). Which isn't to say that he ardently wanted to provide refuge for European Jews, but that leadership and people were mostly in sync in not giving a fuck.
I think because he had Jewish representation in his cabinet, he felt like he was doing enough. He was an old school polite antisemite, not a firebrand one.
Yup, an elite country club Yankee who knows who doesn't belong to the club. It's commonly said that his experience with polio and rehabbing with a variety of common folk gave him an empathy for those suffering tragedy, but the inaction over what was happening in Europe is a glaring contradiction. But, still, he wasn't exactly out of step with most of the public.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 1:15pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It's really terrifying. I started watching the PBS doc on America's complicity in the Holocaust (it's Ken Burns, so he's pretty much letting FDR off the hook for everything) and the parallels are frightening. Especially regarding immigrants.
I'm going to dl that once it gets torrented. I'm intrigued to see how he can give FDR a pass, tho. At best, I'd argue that FDR knew it was an issue where he'd be fighting so much of the country, including powerful Southern figures in his own party (he had to compromise a whooole lot to keep them in line for Social Security, meaning excluding categories of employment dominated by African Americans). Which isn't to say that he ardently wanted to provide refuge for European Jews, but that leadership and people were mostly in sync in not giving a fuck.
I think because he had Jewish representation in his cabinet, he felt like he was doing enough. He was an old school polite antisemite, not a firebrand one.
Yup, an elite country club Yankee who knows who doesn't belong to the club. It's commonly said that his experience with polio and rehabbing with a variety of common folk gave him an empathy for those suffering tragedy, but the inaction over what was happening in Europe is a glaring contradiction. But, still, he wasn't exactly out of step with most of the public.
Not at all.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Not at all.
There's also the irony that the homegrown Nazis spread a rumour that FDR was actually Jewish. Supposedly the family name was actually Rosenveldt, but they changed it for Elders of Zion secret plot reasons, etc etc.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 2:58pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not at all.
There's also the irony that the homegrown Nazis spread a rumour that FDR was actually Jewish. Supposedly the family name was actually Rosenveldt, but they changed it for Elders of Zion secret plot reasons, etc etc.
I mean, people out there spread rumors that Hitler was Jewish, so it's not surprising.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Not at all.
I mean, people out there spread rumors that Hitler was Jewish, so it's not surprising.
Ugh, can you imagine having to invite Hitler to seder?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:16am
JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not at all.
Ugh, can you imagine having to invite Hitler to seder?
He just SHOUTS the four questions!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, Jonah Goldberg is a knave, but this is a genuinely good line.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 3:19pm
Heh, fair play to Jonah, I suppose.

Also, holy smokes that lineup. I bet they all listen to pennywise
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 3:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heh, fair play to Jonah, I suppose.

Also, holy smokes that lineup. I bet they all listen to pennywise
That would be epochal if they performed at this, um, exchange of ideas.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Looks more like Loser Palooza 2 to me. Look at the prices they're getting for tickets though.
Attachments
Ticket Prices.jpg
Ticket Prices.jpg (149.42 KiB) Viewed 532 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 8:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Looks more like Loser Palooza 2 to me. Look at the prices they're getting for tickets though.
Minors get in for free if they're willing to attend Matt Gaetz' hospitality suite.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 8:26pm
Sparky wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 8:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Minors get in for free if they're willing to attend Matt Gaetz' hospitality suite.
:naughty: :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!