The Future of the Republican Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:53am
Well, you do in specialized courses at the university level, but, no, in high school, that's all-but impossible. It's absurd to think teachers will possess the sensitivity and nuance to handle those topics properly. That's no knock on teachers—they just have to do way too much to also expect that degree of understanding. Teaching both sides inevitably means "both sides were kinda right."
I think the United States actually spends countless hours doing this with slavery anyways.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:53am
Well, you do in specialized courses at the university level, but, no, in high school, that's all-but impossible. It's absurd to think teachers will possess the sensitivity and nuance to handle those topics properly. That's no knock on teachers—they just have to do way too much to also expect that degree of understanding. Teaching both sides inevitably means "both sides were kinda right."
I think the United States actually spends countless hours doing this with slavery anyways.
Funny, I saw a story this morning where Fox weasels were carping about how Monticello has "gone woke" and wants people to hate Jefferson because it talks about how it was a plantation and that, you know, complicates how we regard Jefferson now. Teach both sides … but not always.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 4:51pm
Inch by inch, the armbands get put on: https://ohiohouse.gov/members/brigid-ke ... ill-109363
I know none of this should be at all surprising, and yet...

I actually wonder if some of this is a result of the final twilight of the G.I. Generation. Say what you will about our so-called Greatest Generation, most of them didn't have time for Nazis. Since, you know, they remembered actually a fighting a war with them.
You make a very good point that I hadn't even thought of, makes sense and it's a real tragedy.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listening to Helter Skelter while rowing this morning, I thought that with his authoritarian personality, religious claims, love of violence, and warnings that black people were going to take over and whites needed to arm themselves … well, you fill in the punchline.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 9:51am
Listening to Helter Skelter while rowing this morning, I thought that with his authoritarian personality, religious claims, love of violence, and warnings that black people were going to take over and whites needed to arm themselves … well, you fill in the punchline.
Charles Manson would have had a field day at those "bikers for trump" rallies imho

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 10:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 9:51am
Charles Manson would have had a field day at those "bikers for trump" rallies imho
"Some people say Charles Manson is a hero. He’s not a hero. I like people who weren’t captured."

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

Sparky wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 4:51pm
Inch by inch, the armbands get put on: https://ohiohouse.gov/members/brigid-ke ... ill-109363
Unbelievable, I think this line sums it up:

How do you teach both sides of the Holocaust? Of 9/11? Of slavery? Of Ukraine?
That quote strikes me as incredibly disingenuous, basically an attempt to cynically use this legitimately infuriating "From the Nazis' Perspective" bill to conflate morally cut-and-dry history like the Holocaust and slavery with 9/11 and the war in Ukraine. There very much is another side to the situation in Ukraine, which I've detailed elsewhere here; and while there's certainly no moral grey area about what happened on 9/11, the person who wrote this seems to be using this Both Sides Bill as an excuse to shut down any nuanced discussion about the US government's role in causing 9/11—i.e. arming, training and funding the Mujahideen (Al-Qaeda) to fight the Soviets; stationing troops in Saudi Arabia.

What makes this all even more sick is that, post-9/11, we once again armed Al-Qaeda when we wanted regime change in Syria. As Hillary Clinton's then-deputy chief of staff Jake Sullivan triumphantly bragged to his boss in an e-mail, "Al-Qaeda is on our side in Syria." So, according to the US government, Al-Qaeda were the good guys when they fought Russia, the bad guys when they attacked us on 9/11 (that one's true), then once again became our freedom-fightin' bestest buddies when we thought they could help us bump off Assad. I'd argue that all of this context should be taught, not suppressed.

I'd also add: sending re-branded Al-Qaeda to fight in Ukraine might not be the brightest idea in the world, either. Dropping Salafist militants into the middle of Eastern Europe to fight alongside neo-Nazis—what could possibly go wrong?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

If this event makes it to California, I'm entering it.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Sparky wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 12:13pm
If this event makes it to California, I'm entering it.

As a Missourian, this has been glorious. I especially like the Yakkety Sax version the running clip.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex

Post by Flex »

as i said on twitter, it's unbelievably funny that the j6 committee decided to devote like 15 minutes to just wreck hawley despite it not really being at all germane to trump's guilt.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 12:43pm
as i said on twitter, it's unbelievably funny that the j6 committee decided to devote like 15 minutes to just wreck hawley despite it not really being at all germane to trump's guilt.
Hell yeah.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Ha! How much cackling must have gone on behind doors as they were arranging things?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
My wife and I got a good laugh out of that

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 12:58pm
Flex wrote:
Ha! How much cackling must have gone on behind doors as they were arranging things?
Someone said that he's become even more universally hated by his colleagues than Ted Cruz, and not because people have started to warm to Ted.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 5:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 12:58pm
Flex wrote:
Someone said that he's become even more universally hated by his colleagues than Ted Cruz, and not because people have started to warm to Ted.
I do love Al Franken's line: "Here's the thing you have to understand about Ted Cruz. I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz."