matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 2:28pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 2:06pm
You are all much more optimistic than me. I'm convinced we're getting trump again in a couple years and then we get to live under fascism for the rest of our lives.
I'm dubious about how much influence he actually has in the party relative to 2020. Trumpism, sure, but the man himself seems a shadow of his himself.
He'll be 78 (Biden too, give or take) around then. He's gotta die soon right? I have posted about the longevity of modern presidents, but none have been as husky as Trump. He can't be around much longer right? Right?!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 2:37pm
He'll be 78 (Biden too, give or take) around then. He's gotta die soon right? I have posted about the longevity of modern presidents, but none have been as husky as Trump. He can't be around much longer right? Right?!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 2:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 2:28pm
Kory wrote:
You are all much more optimistic than me. I'm convinced we're getting trump again in a couple years and then we get to live under fascism for the rest of our lives.
I'm dubious about how much influence he actually has in the party relative to 2020. Trumpism, sure, but the man himself seems a shadow of his himself.
He is a bit of a medical oddity. Obese, shit diet, constantly enraged—how has he not stroked out? There's evidence that he's in cognitive decline, but that doesn't hurt him with his base at all.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 2:13pm
Cheers again Flex, that was another great read. I'd never have imagined Bernie would be a contender ever again but it has struck me that I seem to hear less and less of AOC these days. I'm not even sure she'd be eligible to run for potus yet anyway?
Just looked it up. AOC was born on October 13, 1989 so she'd be eligible by voting day 2024 assuming article II means your age when you take office not when early voting starts
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 3:15pm
There's evidence that he's in cognitive decline, but that doesn't hurt him with his base at all.
Remember how giddy his supporters were when it was revealed he could recite 5 words and write the hours on an empty clock
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Kory wrote:
I'm more worried about DeSantis.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 3:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 3:15pm
There's evidence that he's in cognitive decline, but that doesn't hurt him with his base at all.
Remember how giddy his supporters were when it was revealed he could recite 5 words and write the hours on an empty clock
Yet talk about Biden being senile.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 3:23pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Cheers again Flex, that was another great read. I'd never have imagined Bernie would be a contender ever again but it has struck me that I seem to hear less and less of AOC these days. I'm not even sure she'd be eligible to run for potus yet anyway?
Just looked it up. AOC was born on October 13, 1989 so she'd be eligible by voting day 2024 assuming article II means your age when you take office not when early voting starts
Ah, good to know, cheers. That would make her 23 days old when Earthquake Weather was released so that definitely qualifies her in my book anyway ;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 3:42pm
oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Ah, good to know, cheers. That would make her 23 days old when Earthquake Weather was released so that definitely qualifies her in my book anyway ;)
Reading between the lines, you're saying "Boogie With Your Children" would be her campaign theme?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 3:31pm
Kory wrote:
Yeah, I basically just meant any viable republican.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 4:32pm
Low Down Low wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 3:42pm
oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Reading between the lines, you're saying "Boogie With Your Children" would be her campaign theme?
I honestly didn't know why that felt so significant to me but now I'm pretty sure that, subliminally, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Kory wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 4:57pm
Mimi wrote:
Kory wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Yeah...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah...
I spend a lot of nights awake anymore just thinking about how often we're hearing about how this is going to be the last election of our lifetimes. What the hell am I supposed to do with that info?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Kory wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 5:49pm
Mimi wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah...
I spend a lot of nights awake anymore just thinking about how often we're hearing about how this is going to be the last election of our lifetimes. What the hell am I supposed to do with that info?
Normally, I try not to get all doom and gloom about these things. As you age, you tend to see how cyclical things are, but I have to admit, the way things have changed over the last few years, I understand your feelings. I'm actually scared for the future. I feel so sorry for young people. They've got a shit stain of a future to live in.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Buy guns and learn to use them. The Nazis are coming.