The Future of the Republican Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 99190
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 6:56pm
Holy fuck, Rubio's twitter photo is so shitty:
Image

I can't get over it. His 15% smile, shitty t shirt. He looks haggard. Where is he that he thought, "gotta take a new photo now."
That's running-for-town-council-on-a-dare quality, not I-should-be-president quality.
"And so he says to me, 'You wanna be a bad guy?' And I say, 'Yeah, baby! I wanna be bad!' And I says, 'Surf's up, space ponies, I'm making gravy without the lumps!'" - Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address (early draft)

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 11355
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 7:08pm
matedog wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 6:56pm
Holy fuck, Rubio's twitter photo is so shitty:
Image

I can't get over it. His 15% smile, shitty t shirt. He looks haggard. Where is he that he thought, "gotta take a new photo now."
That's running-for-town-council-on-a-dare quality, not I-should-be-president quality.
I looked a lot like this when I was unemployed and mid-divorce after a good night's sleep in my broken down car.

Edit: I had a nicer shirt.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 99190
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 11:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 7:08pm
matedog wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 6:56pm
Holy fuck, Rubio's twitter photo is so shitty:
Image

I can't get over it. His 15% smile, shitty t shirt. He looks haggard. Where is he that he thought, "gotta take a new photo now."
That's running-for-town-council-on-a-dare quality, not I-should-be-president quality.
I looked a lot like this when I was unemployed and mid-divorce after a good night's sleep in my broken down car.

Edit: I had a nicer shirt.
Note: You also are not president.
"And so he says to me, 'You wanna be a bad guy?' And I say, 'Yeah, baby! I wanna be bad!' And I says, 'Surf's up, space ponies, I'm making gravy without the lumps!'" - Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address (early draft)

Sparky
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1756
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Sparky »

Only took just over a year to figure this one out, not the sharpest tool in the shed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rnc-cha ... ks-2021-11
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 99190
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ce/620746/

Worthwhile piece by David Brooks on where the American right is going. He doesn't use the word fascist, but it's what he's describing.
"And so he says to me, 'You wanna be a bad guy?' And I say, 'Yeah, baby! I wanna be bad!' And I says, 'Surf's up, space ponies, I'm making gravy without the lumps!'" - Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address (early draft)

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 31104
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 8:19am
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ce/620746/

Worthwhile piece by David Brooks on where the American right is going. He doesn't use the word fascist, but it's what he's describing.
Good article although I think it unintentionally (?) damns the author anh his peers. Brooks still admits to agreeing with 1/3rd of what was said at the conference and he acts palsy and normalizing with all involved (they're fun people to have a beer with, honest!) The line about Kristol getting all these fascists tells it all: this is a movement Brooks et al nurtured , developed, and platformed. Maybe a few of them are getting squeamish at the 11th hour, but Brooks and his cretenous ilk birthed this movement and are STILL providing them cover even in ostensibly critical pieces like this one.
In the words of Jean-Paul Sartre: "Au revoir, gopher."

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 99190
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 2:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 8:19am
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ce/620746/

Worthwhile piece by David Brooks on where the American right is going. He doesn't use the word fascist, but it's what he's describing.
Good article although I think it unintentionally (?) damns the author anh his peers. Brooks still admits to agreeing with 1/3rd of what was said at the conference and he acts palsy and normalizing with all involved (they're fun people to have a beer with, honest!) The line about Kristol getting all these fascists tells it all: this is a movement Brooks et al nurtured , developed, and platformed. Maybe a few of them are getting squeamish at the 11th hour, but Brooks and his cretenous ilk birthed this movement and are STILL providing them cover even in ostensibly critical pieces like this one.
I wondered whether this was, in part, an unconscious mea culpa on Brooks' behalf, dragging along some of the "respectable" conservative thinkers along. Brooks knows that these people are his descendants—he recognizes the lines to conservatives in the 00s, 90s, and 80s—but hasn't come all the way to realizing responsibility. I listened to Anne Applebaum's semi-recent book last year and it had a similar confusion, an awareness of a lineal connection but not realizing, let alone accepting responsibility. This is the mourning stage for Reaganites; some will figure out that there's a logical conclusion to what they created decades ago, while other will continue to look the other way.
"And so he says to me, 'You wanna be a bad guy?' And I say, 'Yeah, baby! I wanna be bad!' And I says, 'Surf's up, space ponies, I'm making gravy without the lumps!'" - Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address (early draft)

Sparky
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1756
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Sparky »

Rep. Thomas Massie from Kentucky.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 18143
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 9:42am
Rep. Thomas Massie from Kentucky.

Blonde lady front right looks like her rifle is pointed to the dbag behind her.

Note none are hunting rifles either.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 99190
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 9:42am
Rep. Thomas Massie from Kentucky.

Turn that into a family of Muslims and Tucker Carlson's got a week of subject matter to cover.
"And so he says to me, 'You wanna be a bad guy?' And I say, 'Yeah, baby! I wanna be bad!' And I says, 'Surf's up, space ponies, I'm making gravy without the lumps!'" - Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address (early draft)

Sparky
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1756
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 9:57am
Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 9:42am
Rep. Thomas Massie from Kentucky.

Blonde lady front right looks like her rifle is pointed to the dbag behind her.

Note none are hunting rifles either.
I hadn't noticed that, good catch. Did I mention they're from Kentucky? :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1756
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 10:09am
Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 9:42am
Rep. Thomas Massie from Kentucky.

Turn that into a family of Muslims and Tucker Carlson's got a week of subject matter to cover.
So true!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 18143
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 11:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 10:09am
Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 9:42am
Rep. Thomas Massie from Kentucky.

Turn that into a family of Muslims and Tucker Carlson's got a week of subject matter to cover.
So true!
Shit even a family of African Americans would elicit a horrified response from your average racist.

Sparky
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1756
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 11:55am
Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 11:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 10:09am
Sparky wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 9:42am
Rep. Thomas Massie from Kentucky.

Turn that into a family of Muslims and Tucker Carlson's got a week of subject matter to cover.
So true!
Shit even a family of African Americans would elicit a horrified response from your average racist.
Somebody needs to photoshop some bib overalls, straw hats & corn cob pipes on this and repost it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 18143
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by revbob »


Post Reply