Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 12:33pm
Mimi wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 12:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 12:15pm
Gosh, I don't think anybody could have foreseen claims of electoral fraud spreading to intraparty elections!
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/laura-lo ... 629bffe30b

Prediction: The GOP presidential primaries are going to be the most crooked on record according the losers.
I can't wait for a Dem to start screaming election fraud. Shoe meet other foot.
Republicans are ready to update this one (which I do have to admit is pretty good wordplay):
Gore was not the least bit inspiring and when he picked Joe Lieberman (milquetoast personified) I knew that pretty well sealed it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 4:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Gosh, I don't think anybody could have foreseen claims of electoral fraud spreading to intraparty elections!

Prediction: The GOP presidential primaries are going to be the most crooked on record according the losers.
Republicans are ready to update this one (which I do have to admit is pretty good wordplay):
Gore was not the least bit inspiring and when he picked Joe Lieberman (milquetoast personified) I knew that pretty well sealed it.
Yet, if he'd actually asked Clinton to campaign for him, it's not unlikely that it would have put him over the top. Like Hillary Clinton, just a lousy campaign that lost despite so many advantages.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 5:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yet, if he'd actually asked Clinton to campaign for him, it's not unlikely that it would have put him over the top. Like Hillary Clinton, just a lousy campaign that lost despite so many advantages.
Had the SCOTUS allowed the Florida vote to be fully counted, Gore would have won.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 1:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Had the SCOTUS allowed the Florida vote to be fully counted, Gore would have won.
Well, maybe. A forensic recount was done afterwards and depending on how chads were interpreted, in some situations Bush still won. But the Supreme Court shouldn't have even been involved because in the US national elections are fundamentally a collection of state elections all held at the same time. Quite conveniently, Republicans abandoned their states rights principles over that. (Also, that whole butterfly ballot nonsense almost certainly meant Gore lost votes to Buchanan.)

edit: Which is to say, based on voter intentions, Gore almost certainly won, but he might yet have lost a full recount.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 2:19pm
Spiff wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, maybe. A forensic recount was done afterwards and depending on how chads were interpreted, in some situations Bush still won. But the Supreme Court shouldn't have even been involved because in the US national elections are fundamentally a collection of state elections all held at the same time. Quite conveniently, Republicans abandoned their states rights principles over that. (Also, that whole butterfly ballot nonsense almost certainly meant Gore lost votes to Buchanan.)

edit: Which is to say, based on voter intentions, Gore almost certainly won, but he might yet have lost a full recount.
This should have been an easy win and he blew it by making it close.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 7:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Spiff wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Totally. If Clinton had been allowed to run for a third time, I'm certain he would have won. Gore, like Hillary, flat out lost it by allowing it to be close enough for weird shit to sink him. I can't for the life of me understand why Democrats still give Hillary the time of day for running such a damned lousy campaign that a freak series of events could come to pass. Blame the electoral college all you want, she, like Gore, should have won comfortably.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 8:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Spiff wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Totally. If Clinton had been allowed to run for a third time, I'm certain he would have won. Gore, like Hillary, flat out lost it by allowing it to be close enough for weird shit to sink him. I can't for the life of me understand why Democrats still give Hillary the time of day for running such a damned lousy campaign that a freak series of events could come to pass. Blame the electoral college all you want, she, like Gore, should have won comfortably.
Maybe she has some damning info about everyone in the party? I hear lot that democrats like losing because they get to be the moral opposition without having to be responsible for anything. Seems plausible, if reductive.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 6:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 8:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Spiff wrote:

Maybe she has some damning info about everyone in the party? I hear lot that democrats like losing because they get to be the moral opposition without having to be responsible for anything. Seems plausible, if reductive.
If they were ardently principled, sure. Like, that isn't out of place to describe social democrats up here. But Democrats are just as power hungry as Republicans.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

edit: Oops, just saw revbob posted the same thing in the music observation thread before me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 7:27am

edit: Oops, just saw revbob posted the same thing in the music observation thread before me.
I do appreciate his speaking up like this and not mincing words.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 11:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

From this song, "Born in the USA," and "YMCA," the right is either good at repurposing songs or are really fucking clueless.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 11:41am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

From this song, "Born in the USA," and "YMCA," the right is either good at repurposing songs or are really fucking clueless.
I lean towards the clueless explanation

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 11:41am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I lean towards the clueless explanation
Probably where the smart money lands,

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Did they miss him speaking at the PMRC hearings?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 11:03am
Did they miss him speaking at the PMRC hearings?
They most likely have no clue what event you are even talking about. I didn't watch those hearings in real time back in the day but vaguely remember them happening. I've been following Dee on twitter since 2020 when he came out swinging hard against anti-maskers, the orange traitor, and generally forces of intolerance and stupidity. And he is not pulling any punches either. Dee is definitely an interesting guy. Marches to his own beat. Worth listening to what he has to say.

Generally the right seems pathologically incapable of listening and understanding lyrics. I suppose they have to since otherwise they would get tired of listening only to ted nugent or kid rock or whoever else they got on repeat. You have nutjobs on twitter arguing with Dee about the actual intent of words in his own songs. It is wild to watch.