Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 2:01pm
Mimi wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:59pm
msza2 wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:32pm
I work in mental health and they say it's no use trying to rehabilitate a psychopath because he will never change and will only use the received input to become more cunning. Sadly I think the only thing the GOP will learn from this is how to lie, intimidate, and oppress more efficiently. I hope I'm wrong.
It's a frightening thought. Trump's level of sociopathy has opened the door to hell. When they saw how much he could get away with, it just emboldened them and taught them how to be just as evil, which is why I'm nervous about our democracy for the first time in my life.
I'm in 100% agreement with your assessment of the damage Trump has caused our democracy. Keeping my fingers crossed on the races that are still undecided, our democracy is truly on the line this time around.
All I think anymore is that it's truly on the line every time around from now on. It doesn't really matter if dems win this time or next time, as soon as they lose, whenever it is, it's all over. Delaying the inevitable.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 5:45pm
Sparky wrote:
Mimi wrote:
msza2 wrote:
I work in mental health and they say it's no use trying to rehabilitate a psychopath because he will never change and will only use the received input to become more cunning. Sadly I think the only thing the GOP will learn from this is how to lie, intimidate, and oppress more efficiently. I hope I'm wrong.
It's a frightening thought. Trump's level of sociopathy has opened the door to hell. When they saw how much he could get away with, it just emboldened them and taught them how to be just as evil, which is why I'm nervous about our democracy for the first time in my life.
I'm in 100% agreement with your assessment of the damage Trump has caused our democracy. Keeping my fingers crossed on the races that are still undecided, our democracy is truly on the line this time around.
All I think anymore is that it's truly on the line every time around from now on. It doesn't really matter if dems win this time or next time, as soon as they lose, whenever it is, it's all over. Delaying the inevitable.
One of the things that's awful is that the right has created the conditions to make everyone else adopt their apocalyptic worldview, where every election could mean the death of [fill in the blank]. A colleague refers to this as a Nazi worldview, tho Bolshevik works just as well. Meaning, if you've convinced yourself that everything might be destroyed if you don't act now—the enemy is so close to ending it all—you need to be ready to sacrifice everything, do anything, to stop them. What kind of society is it where you feel so desperate and anxious all the time?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 6:03pm
Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Mimi wrote:
msza2 wrote:
One of the things that's awful is that the right has created the conditions to make everyone else adopt their apocalyptic worldview, where every election could mean the death of [fill in the blank]. A colleague refers to this as a Nazi worldview, tho Bolshevik works just as well. Meaning, if you've convinced yourself that everything might be destroyed if you don't act now—the enemy is so close to ending it all—you need to be ready to sacrifice everything, do anything, to stop them. What kind of society is it where you feel so desperate and anxious all the time?
Thatcher's "society?" It's certainly a nightmare. When I was a kid I wasn't really scared of ghosts and monsters and stuff, I spent a lot of brainpower being anxious about having to live in this kind of world. I always hoped my greatest fears were unfounded.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 6:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 6:03pm
Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Thatcher's "society?" It's certainly a nightmare. When I was a kid I wasn't really scared of ghosts and monsters and stuff, I spent a lot of brainpower being anxious about having to live in this kind of world. I always hoped my greatest fears were unfounded.
Ultimately, all I can urge is not to adopt the apocalyptic mindset of the right. Be concerned, be critical, be caring, be engaged, but don't let anxiety and fear shape your view of other people. It just ain't worth it for your own sense of self.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Mimi wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Hello,

Trump has lowered the bar on acceptable behavior by a public official (beyond some horrible policies). We need someone to raise the bar (again, beyond policies). I'm not sure who can/will do so.

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."
Norman Schwarzkopf

Think what you will of Scharzkopf, but I really like the quote.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Mimi wrote:
msza2 wrote:
I'm hoping we're both wrong on this one and the extreme GQP gets the message that more people are disgusted with their crap and want a more traditional candidate, be it blue or red. Then I'd hope they just fades away or better yet crawls back under their rock never to be seen again.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Bad news:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Goddammit, Hoy! :angry:

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 7:28pm
Bad news:
Blows, I don't live in Colorado, but I'm watching this hoping she's lose and it would send a message. Assuming because it's so close they're be a recount?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 7:32pm
Blows, I don't live in Colorado, but I'm watching this hoping she's lose and it would send a message. Assuming because it's so close they're be a recount?
If the remaining votes tighten it up, but I think it may end up just outside recount territory.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

For people looking into Colorado from the outside, winning CO-03 as a Dem is basically like when Doug Jones won in Alabama. That took running against an actual pedophile to pull off. Boebert being a vile, useless ethno-nationalist just (almost certainly) isn't enough. But in the newly created right- leaning CO-08 - which encompasses parts of northern Colorado which wanted to cecede from the state a few years ago because Colorado was getting too liberal - the democrat in that race just punched the DeSantis-esque Republican in the mouth (proverbially) - and in CO-07 the democray absolutely ran away with a race people were expecting to at least be close. Just as some context.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 7:45pm
For people looking into Colorado from the outside, winning CO-03 as a Dem is basically like when Doug Jones won in Alabama. That took running against an actual pedophile to pull off. Boebert being a vile, useless ethno-nationalist just (almost certainly) isn't enough. But in the newly created right- leaning CO-08 - which encompasses parts of northern Colorado which wanted to cecede from the state a few years ago because Colorado was getting too liberal - the democrat in that race just punched the DeSantis-esque Republican in the mouth (proverbially) - and in CO-07 the democray absolutely ran away with a race people were expecting to at least be close. Just as some context.
Yeah yeah yeah, big brain, I just want to be pissed off at Hoy for all this, 'kay? Is that so much to ask?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://nypost.com/2022/11/11/trump-vot ... disappear/

Yes, Republicans, please turn on him, betray him. He will certainly read the tea leaves and quietly disappear. By no means will he do all he can to wreck the party for its ingratitude.

I've said before that Justin Trudeau is such a lucky little shithead, with the name and connection, showing up as people got sick of Harper and then the Conservatives choose a succession of boobs and knaves as leader. But Biden is close on his heels for up-the-ass-horseshoery. A generally undistinguished senatorial career—most notable for what happened to Anita Hill—and then, at a time when he should be well into retirement, he gets rehabilitated by Obama and then elected president as the Republicans start pantsing themselves in public in preparation for eye-gouging.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 7:45pm
Yeah. People who live outside of Colorado don't know just how right wing/libertarian places outside of Denver/Boulder can be.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Palin lost again, so that's something.