PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:That's been my chief criticism of the Green Party. I faithfully vote Green because they're closest to my ideals, but the serious activists in the party are flaky as fuck. As my wife once described a candidate in our riding a few elections ago, he looked like he lived in the trees and ate pine cones. You're not doing much to persuade the great mainstream by looking like and talking to your marginalized core. It's not selling out to try to expand your support.
Well, it can be. Not that I disagree with your point, but I think - for example - the Democrats constantly sell out all the time to garner votes.

Their pussy stance on gay marriage is a pretty good example.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Wolter wrote: I hate hippies so much.
Careful what you say about the hippies, man, they'll send their hardened ex-con attack dogs after you...this guy, for example

Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:That's been my chief criticism of the Green Party. I faithfully vote Green because they're closest to my ideals, but the serious activists in the party are flaky as fuck. As my wife once described a candidate in our riding a few elections ago, he looked like he lived in the trees and ate pine cones. You're not doing much to persuade the great mainstream by looking like and talking to your marginalized core. It's not selling out to try to expand your support.
Well, it can be. Not that I disagree with your point, but I think - for example - the Democrats constantly sell out all the time to garner votes.

Okay, yeah, I didn't mean to be so absolute in my point. But it's not selling out, for example, for Green candidates to clean themselves up at public debates. Sadly, perceptions do count and looking like you drive a hempmobile will lose you more votes than you gain.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

Okay, yeah, I didn't mean to be so absolute in my point. But it's not selling out, for example, for Green candidates to clean themselves up at public debates. Sadly, perceptions do count and looking like you drive a hempmobile will lose you more votes than you gain.
I get what your saying, and for once agree wholeheartedly.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

I get what your saying, and for once agree wholeheartedly.
Cliquist.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Still216 wrote:
Wolter wrote: I hate hippies so much.
Careful what you say about the hippies, man, they'll send their hardened ex-con attack dogs after you...this guy, for example

That's going to give me nightmares for weeks to come. I can't believe I actually know people who like Phish.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

JennyB wrote: That's going to give me nightmares for weeks to come. I can't believe I actually know people who like Phish.
Out of all the bad habits I picked up between ages 18 and 22, I resisted smoking cigarettes and listening to Phish, despite intense peer pressure to succumb to both.

But hey, you have a lot of REO Speedwagon fans in St Louis to balance the musical taste scale a little bit.
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Still216 wrote:
JennyB wrote: That's going to give me nightmares for weeks to come. I can't believe I actually know people who like Phish.
Out of all the bad habits I picked up between ages 18 and 22, I resisted smoking cigarettes and listening to Phish, despite intense peer pressure to succumb to both.

But hey, you have a lot of REO Speedwagon fans in St Louis to balance the musical taste scale a little bit.
To be honest, I think I'd much rather listen to REO Speedwagon than Phish...though that's kind of like preferring to eat liver instead of brussel sprouts.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

JennyB wrote: To be honest, I think I'd much rather listen to REO Speedwagon than Phish...though that's kind of like preferring to eat liver instead of brussel sprouts.
With REO Speedwagon, you at least know the song will end within four minutes or so. But back in college, people would have 50-CD changers on shuffle at parties (this was just before mp3s became mainstream) and it would click over to a Phish song, and you knew you were in for ten to twenty minutes of aimless hippie guitar noodling. No wonder I drank so much back then.

To bring this thread back on topic...man, I can't stand hippies.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Still216 wrote:
JennyB wrote: To be honest, I think I'd much rather listen to REO Speedwagon than Phish...though that's kind of like preferring to eat liver instead of brussel sprouts.
With REO Speedwagon, you at least know the song will end within four minutes or so. But back in college, people would have 50-CD changers on shuffle at parties (this was just before mp3s became mainstream) and it would click over to a Phish song, and you knew you were in for ten to twenty minutes of aimless hippie guitar noodling. No wonder I drank so much back then.

Exactly.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Still216 wrote:

I had similar problems. I had a coworker try to split the difference by playing a Phish bootleg where they played an entire Talking Heads set. He didn't understand how their soulless note-for-note covers missed the entire fucking point of fun and exciting music. Also, it was a cover of the Stop Making Sense album, which is a weak album even from a Talking Heads standpoint.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Wolter wrote: I had similar problems. I had a coworker try to split the difference by playing a Phish bootleg where they played an entire Talking Heads set. He didn't understand how their soulless note-for-note covers missed the entire fucking point of fun and exciting music. Also, it was a cover of the Stop Making Sense album, which is a weak album even from a Talking Heads standpoint.
That's the other thing -- there's some sort of secret Street Team of Phish fans who feel the need to evangelize about the band to everyone they know.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Still216 wrote:
Wolter wrote: I had similar problems. I had a coworker try to split the difference by playing a Phish bootleg where they played an entire Talking Heads set. He didn't understand how their soulless note-for-note covers missed the entire fucking point of fun and exciting music. Also, it was a cover of the Stop Making Sense album, which is a weak album even from a Talking Heads standpoint.
That's the other thing -- there's some sort of secret Street Team of Phish fans who feel the need to evangelize about the band to everyone they know.
Worse. Than. Deadheads.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Still216 wrote:
Worse. Than. Deadheads.
Same shit, different day.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:Worse. Than. Deadheads.
At least the Dead, if you dig around enough, can have some enjoyable moments. There's a certain warmth to the proceedings that makes me more tolerant even if I find a lot of the stuff interminably dull.

You can't really make that case with Phish, which comes off as a Gap brand jam band.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!