No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 3:04pm
It still surprises me that women leaders deal with this kind of questioning.
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/11398620 ... e-question
"Did either of you ask the other, 'Omigod, where'd you get those shoes?!?'"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 3:11pm
Mimi wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 3:04pm
It still surprises me that women leaders deal with this kind of questioning.
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/11398620 ... e-question
"Did either of you ask the other, 'Omigod, where'd you get those shoes?!?'"
😄

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A compressed version of a chapter from the book I’m listening to on anonymity and free speech on the internet. It’s a horrific case of cyberstalking: https://slate.com/technology/2022/03/un ... lking.html
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

We have been working with American's United to bring this lawsuit against the Missouri legislature challenging the state's abortion bans. We aren't a plaintiff because we aren't a congregation, but we have been working behind the scenes the whole time. It's pretty exciting! https://news.stlpublicradio.org/governm ... n-abortion
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 4:09pm
We have been working with American's United to bring this lawsuit against the Missouri legislature challenging the state's abortion bans. We aren't a plaintiff because we aren't a congregation, but we have been working behind the scenes the whole time. It's pretty exciting! https://news.stlpublicradio.org/governm ... n-abortion
This seems like one of the soundest lines of attack against these abortion bans, in my amateur view. Good work and good luck!!!!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Aside from my support for your efforts, I appreciate the irony (but the longer-term legit value) of religious organizations fighting to preserve women's rights and to re-orient religion and politics away from authoritarianism.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

JennyB wrote:
Appreciate your efforts, like Doc said, I too was surprised to see a multiple religious organizations standing up for the cause.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Sparky wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 10:02pm
JennyB wrote:
Appreciate your efforts, like Doc said, I too was surprised to see a multiple religious organizations standing up for the cause.
It was pretty cool. though these are all pretty left leaning groups.

Thanks for all of your kind words, everyone. I will keep you posted!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Here's something:

I've talked to one or two of you about this (Maj, probably) but over the last few years I've been on-and-off-again (usually very off) with practicing Buddhist meditation and participating with a sangha. I got turned onto one by, of all people, Mike McColgan (yeah, the former DKM and Street Dogs guy) that's sort of aimed at punks. Called Against The Stream/Dharma Punx out of LA but classes are all on zoom as well as in person. Run by a guy named Noah Levine who wrote a few books. Good personal story. Used to be a real shithead, drug and booze addict, arrested multiple times, etc. Cleaned up when he embraced buddhism (his dad was a famous buddhist poet, I guess). Eventually became a big name teacher and addiction recovery counselor. Anyways, I'm posting this in the sexism thread so you can probably guess the direction this is going in.

He leads a weekly meditation and talk once a week, so after finishing up this week's session I'm looking on his website for some info about upcoming events and I notice a little blurb somewhere that I hadn't see saying, in effect, "Noah Levine was falsely accused of sexual assault in 2018 and it's been a very hard ordeal to overcome, etc." Yikes, okay. That predates my tuning into him, so I google around a little to see just how false and unfounded those accusations were and, I know this will shock everyone reading this, but it turns out that the accusations were actually pretty well founded and the sangha hired a third party to do an independent investigation and found that 7 women credibly accused Levine of misconduct, at least one of them being a student at the sangha. A girlfriend accused him of rape and filed a police report, but LAPD didn't end up charging him, which seems to be where Levine mostly hanging his "TOTAL EXONERATION" hat. Anyways, he admitted to a couple of the less incendiary charges. The sangha as it existed until 2018 (i.e. a non-profit with a board an multiple teachers, etc.) disbanded and fractured into a few different organizations. Levine was essentially excommunicated from some bigger buddhist meditation group that had given him a lot of his legitimacy and told to seek help. His response, apparently, was to tell everyone to fuck off and he just restarted his sangha as if nothing had happened and gave some shitty interviews blaming everyone on the "atmosphere" #metoo had created. A lot of people who were close to him (including some dharma punx cofounders) say he basically started out meaning well and then got some fame and turned into a complete shithead who thought he was untouchable. Tale as old as time.

What's unsettling, besides the fact I liked the guy's style in sessions, is that I was completely ignorant about all of this except I happened upon this note on Levine's own website. Looking at wikipedia, it looks like now there's a section about the allegations but I swear up and down that when I first started following him during the pandemic that wasn't there and googling hadn't turned up anything.

I don't really have much of a point to this except that it's eye opening that this guy had been #metoo'd, pretty credibly, and as just some guy hearing about him I didn't have any idea that he had that history for several years. It's amazing what a good job our culture does memory holing this kind of behavior.

Anyways, I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing and am obviously never tuning into Levine's sessions ever again. Got a few other leads on some other similar-vibe sanghas so gonna check them out (as an aside,west coast based and over zoom are basically requirements to make sure I can "attend" outside the hours the Little Duder is awake and needing supervision).

Real gross stuff. Amazing how incredibly few lasting consequences there have been for anyone who was "#meetoo-d." The playbook of "lay low a few months and then basically pretend nothing happened" seems to have worked for like 95% of guys.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex's story has me thinking about a friend of The Boss is going thru. Said friend is married and they've adopted a child, tho it hasn't been finalized (the birth-father is contesting, as I understand it). The Boss and another friend go to visit her this past weekend at a separate city, a little holiday because she's been rather down. The husband is with her and upon all four getting together, he launches into a rant about how he's getting screwed over in his grad program because he's the only male student and some women have taken his "jokes" and "offers of assistance" and accused him of sexual harassment. Like, in the first five minutes, wholly unbidden. He also makes some deprecating comments about his wife's appearance, and when the three women go out for a meal, he's texting every half hour asking when she's coming back because he's so hard done by from "babysitting."

The last day, the women go for brunch and the same constant texting happens, ending with him saying he's leaving town without her. They go to the motel and, yup, the truck is gone. Then he emerges from behind a snowpile and they leave. So, yeah, clearly things are very, very bad. The Boss calls her today, making sure that she's alone and able to talk, to let her know that if/when she has to leave, she's available to help. At that point the friend said that she's caught him texting an old girlfriend (who's married and did not want to be contacted) and that he admitted that he screwed the stripper at his bachelor party (he revealed that on the ride home on Sunday).

But there isn't much she can do at this point because leaving him, especially due to cruelty, means the adoption will almost certainly be voided. So she's fucked, forced to endure this while hoping to complete the adoption and then engage in a different round of stress and drama. And I don't doubt for a second that he knows he holds all these cards and is amping up the abuse because of it. Just a horrible situation with little hope of a happy ending. From my perspective—which I ain't sharing—it might be best for the child to go back into the system rather than endure this prolonged shitshow. It'd be devastating for the friend, but I just don't see a happy ending anyway and at least she can get out and start over.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 5:22pm
Flex's story has me thinking about a friend of The Boss is going thru. Said friend is married and they've adopted a child, tho it hasn't been finalized (the birth-father is contesting, as I understand it). The Boss and another friend go to visit her this past weekend at a separate city, a little holiday because she's been rather down. The husband is with her and upon all four getting together, he launches into a rant about how he's getting screwed over in his grad program because he's the only male student and some women have taken his "jokes" and "offers of assistance" and accused him of sexual harassment. Like, in the first five minutes, wholly unbidden. He also makes some deprecating comments about his wife's appearance, and when the three women go out for a meal, he's texting every half hour asking when she's coming back because he's so hard done by from "babysitting."

The last day, the women go for brunch and the same constant texting happens, ending with him saying he's leaving town without her. They go to the motel and, yup, the truck is gone. Then he emerges from behind a snowpile and they leave. So, yeah, clearly things are very, very bad. The Boss calls her today, making sure that she's alone and able to talk, to let her know that if/when she has to leave, she's available to help. At that point the friend said that she's caught him texting an old girlfriend (who's married and did not want to be contacted) and that he admitted that he screwed the stripper at his bachelor party (he revealed that on the ride home on Sunday).

But there isn't much she can do at this point because leaving him, especially due to cruelty, means the adoption will almost certainly be voided. So she's fucked, forced to endure this while hoping to complete the adoption and then engage in a different round of stress and drama. And I don't doubt for a second that he knows he holds all these cards and is amping up the abuse because of it. Just a horrible situation with little hope of a happy ending. From my perspective—which I ain't sharing—it might be best for the child to go back into the system rather than endure this prolonged shitshow. It'd be devastating for the friend, but I just don't see a happy ending anyway and at least she can get out and start over.
Yeah it's a bad situation to bring a kid into. Even before the fucking the stripper part I was thinking she needs to get out of that situation.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 5:22pm

Yikes, I totally get your wife's friend's thought process, and sympathize, but I'm with you. The error bars on successfully adopting then divorcing and ending up on-net in a good situation are so high that I'd have to think it'd be better for the kid to go back into the system. That really, really sucks and I'm sure it's hard to think that way when you're the one dealing with everything, but this guy sounds like a colossal piece of shit who is going to do everything to make her and them kid's lives pure hell.

Also, I bet 5 million dollars that when he's lamenting with his other shithead friends he says refers to himself as a "nice guy" and women just aren't appreciative of great guys like him, because of feminism or whatever.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 6:38pm
Also, I bet 5 million dollars that when he's lamenting with his other shithead friends he says refers to himself as a "nice guy" and women just aren't appreciative of great guys like him, because of feminism or whatever.
Easiest bet in the world. It’s like a subset of Incels who are somehow married.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 6:47pm
Flex wrote:
All of this is just too depressing to even think about.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 4:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 6:47pm
Flex wrote:
All of this is just too depressing to even think about.
Intensely. I mentioned the incel comment to The Boss and she said this guy blames her friend’s feminism for the problems in their marriage. The guy is a caricature of an incel baby.