No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 8:34pm
Mimi wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 8:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 8:13pm
Did any of the women here read Sassy back in the day? I'm kind of curious whether it was regarded as true feminist resistance to the typical girly girl teen mags or fake subversion.
I had to look it up to remind myself, but I vaguely remember it. I couldn't tell you if I recall ever reading it.
I asked the Boss and she said she was vaguely aware of it but was a bit too old for the target audience. We're all around the same age, so that's possibly the same case for you.
You mean old?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 9:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 8:34pm
Mimi wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 8:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Did any of the women here read Sassy back in the day? I'm kind of curious whether it was regarded as true feminist resistance to the typical girly girl teen mags or fake subversion.
I had to look it up to remind myself, but I vaguely remember it. I couldn't tell you if I recall ever reading it.
I asked the Boss and she said she was vaguely aware of it but was a bit too old for the target audience. We're all around the same age, so that's possibly the same case for you.
You mean old?
I would *never* say that word! (I'd only think it.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was a dedicated reader. I was probably a little old, but they usually had pretty good info on up and coming alternative bands. I loved it because although it was fun, it did tackle social issues. However, I will add the caveat that I never saw it as a bastion of feminism. It did a better job than other teen fashion magazines, but it was still a fashion magazine. The models were always thin. It was always very white -centric. And a lot of their features haven't aged well. One I remember vividly(and this definitely hasn't aged well in light of Depp's recent activities) was that she showed a picture of Winona Ryder with Dave Pirner when she first started dating him. She had just broken up with Depp - they captioned it "Winona, are ya blind?" It was mean, but also funny. But that's the kind of thing that would never fly today.

The Phil Hartman bit certainly didn't do its legacy any favors.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 11:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was a dedicated reader. I was probably a little old, but they usually had pretty good info on up and coming alternative bands. I loved it because although it was fun, it did tackle social issues. However, I will add the caveat that I never saw it as a bastion of feminism. It did a better job than other teen fashion magazines, but it was still a fashion magazine. The models were always thin. It was always very white -centric. And a lot of their features haven't aged well. One I remember vividly(and this definitely hasn't aged well in light of Depp's recent activities) was that she showed a picture of Winona Ryder with Dave Pirner when she first started dating him. She had just broken up with Depp - they captioned it "Winona, are ya blind?" It was mean, but also funny. But that's the kind of thing that would never fly today.

Cool and thanks! I've kinda sorta got an idea to do a lecture on Sassy next year in my popular culture class, but I have only a cursory understanding of it. That fake edginess interests me, especially if it's littered with contradictory and uncomfortable content. Something to add to the pile.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 11:28am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Cool and thanks! I've kinda sorta got an idea to do a lecture on Sassy next year in my popular culture class, but I have only a cursory understanding of it. That fake edginess interests me, especially if it's littered with contradictory and uncomfortable content. Something to add to the pile.
If you are interested, I can try and put you in touch with Marjorie Ingall, who is the Sassy writer I spoke of.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 11:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If you are interested, I can try and put you in touch with Marjorie Ingall, who is the Sassy writer I spoke of.
That'd be fantastic! If I pursue this, tho, it likely won't be for a long while, quite possibly next year.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 12:09pm
JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 11:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That'd be fantastic! If I pursue this, tho, it likely won't be for a long while, quite possibly next year.
Let me know if and when, and I would be happy to do it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

My only knowledge of Sassy was a parody cover done in either Mad or Cracked when I was a kid.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 1:53pm
My only knowledge of Sassy was a parody cover done in either Mad or Cracked when I was a kid.
Let's see, was it called Sappy? Gassy? Lassie? Saggy? One thing we do know is that it wasn't funny.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 1:56pm
Kory wrote:
Let's see, was it called Sappy? Gassy? Lassie? Saggy? One thing we do know is that it wasn't funny.
As I recall it was actually just called "Sassy" or else I wouldn't have made the connection now, since I'd never heard of it as a kid. I think the main joke was the article headlines. Maybe it was a different source other than Mad or Cracked though, but I can't think of what else I'd have been reading at that age.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 2:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
As I recall it was actually just called "Sassy" or else I wouldn't have made the connection now, since I'd never heard of it as a kid. I think the main joke was the article headlines. Maybe it was a different source other than Mad or Cracked though, but I can't think of what else I'd have been reading at that age.
It's a curious thing that Mad was awesome all the way to the very early 80s and then fell off a cliff. Cracked always sucked until it switched to online content and then got a whole lot better.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 3:04pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's a curious thing that Mad was awesome all the way to the very early 80s and then fell off a cliff. Cracked always sucked until it switched to online content and then got a whole lot better.
But now it sucks again—they're running out of things to write about.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 3:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 3:04pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
But now it sucks again—they're running out of things to write about.
That's a shame. I haven't looked at it for several years. Basically, I only saw it when someone linked to one of their pieces, and the lack of linking should have been a sign.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/8/17/ ... -complaint

Okay, girls, if you want to compete in sports, we demand to examine your genitalia first.