No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 6:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 5:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 5:29pm
Low Down Low wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 5:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 12:36pm

Yeah, well, everything seems bad if you look at evidence.
Evidence schmevidence! I think it's not that these hacks don't realise that people can simply google their slimy asses, it's just that anybody who could be bothered to fact check almost certainly wasn't among the targeted audience anyway.
For all the talk about how the internet and social media and all that have altered our behaviours and interactions—and it certainly has—what hasn't changed is people's belief that they can control their lies, that despite so much permanently existing online somewhere, the idea of mastering your own narrative in spite of truth persists.
Between twitter and whatsapp, i think that mindset must be doomed surely. I remember when his enemies were trying to rake up some muck on Sanders, the best they could do was some miniscule financial thing decades ago that barely made a dent. There was just nothing there. But nowadays, all anyone has to do is get a couple of interns and sit them at a desk to scroll through twitter for a day and you can bet trumps bottom dollar, they'll have the goods delivered by the end of the day. Will be the start of their investigative journalism careers.
I dunno. For all the whining about cancel culture, does anybody really get canceled? A brief kick at their status, but if Louis CK can win a Grammy, there are no real consequences unless you're convicted and sentenced to prison.
Two words: Mel Gibson.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 10:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 5:22pm

Evidence schmevidence! I think it's not that these hacks don't realise that people can simply google their slimy asses, it's just that anybody who could be bothered to fact check almost certainly wasn't among the targeted audience anyway.
For all the talk about how the internet and social media and all that have altered our behaviours and interactions—and it certainly has—what hasn't changed is people's belief that they can control their lies, that despite so much permanently existing online somewhere, the idea of mastering your own narrative in spite of truth persists.
Between twitter and whatsapp, i think that mindset must be doomed surely. I remember when his enemies were trying to rake up some muck on Sanders, the best they could do was some miniscule financial thing decades ago that barely made a dent. There was just nothing there. But nowadays, all anyone has to do is get a couple of interns and sit them at a desk to scroll through twitter for a day and you can bet trumps bottom dollar, they'll have the goods delivered by the end of the day. Will be the start of their investigative journalism careers.
I dunno. For all the whining about cancel culture, does anybody really get canceled? A brief kick at their status, but if Louis CK can win a Grammy, there are no real consequences unless you're convicted and sentenced to prison.
More so, he took on Big Hebrew and he's still polluting the air.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 11:34am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I can't remember the last time I saw him in anything.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 4:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Hacksaw Ridge is the last thing that comes to mind.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 4:49pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oscar nominated. And he has a movie out now with Marky mark (quelle surprise).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 6:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 4:49pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Oscar nominated. And he has a movie out now with Marky mark (quelle surprise).
Sugar Tits Vietnam is the buddy action flick nobody's been asking for!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The last Mel Gibson movie that I'm pretty sure I saw was 1999's Payback. I may have caught bits of Signs but I've definitely never sat down and watched it start to finish and I've definitely never watched anything of his since then. Fuck that guy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Roe vs Wade getting overturned. Bad.

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
02 May 2022, 11:34pm
Roe vs Wade getting overturned. Bad.
But her emails…

Fuck America. It gets what it deserves.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

The shared focus of "this kind of leak has never happened before, there will be consequences!" is frustrating. I could care less about fucking decorum.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2022, 12:42pm
The shared focus of "this kind of leak has never happened before, there will be consequences!" is frustrating. I could care less about fucking decorum.
it's 100% rightwing and beltway cover to try to misdirect from the conclusion that the anti-democratic, christian fascist bullshit is about to get cranked up to 11

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Fox News, who embraced the 6 January attack as rowdy tourists narrative, has declared the leak to be an insurrection against the Supreme Court. 100% spin, 24/7. It's funny/sad that the right thinks of itself as counter-revolutionary, halting leftist radicals, when it's embraced the postmodern notion of relative truth—i.e., there is no objective truth—more than anyone else. Everything exists only to be used in service of power.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 12:52pm
matedog wrote:
Fox News, who embraced the 6 January attack as rowdy tourists narrative, has declared the leak to be an insurrection against the Supreme Court. 100% spin, 24/7. It's funny/sad that the right thinks of itself as counter-revolutionary, halting leftist radicals, when it's embraced the postmodern notion of relative truth—i.e., there is no objective truth—more than anyone else. Everything exists only to be used in service of power.
Is the idea that a leak and subsequent outrage would cause a justice to change their mind? Like they are somehow immune to public opinion?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2022, 2:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 12:52pm
matedog wrote:
Is the idea that a leak and subsequent outrage would cause a justice to change their mind? Like they are somehow immune to public opinion?
To the right, with their bullshit originalism, a judge is supposed to be objective—beholden to the Constitution and not the society they live in. A regular complaint when a conservative justice "betrays" the law is that they've supposedly gotten sucked into the Beltway cocktail circuit and fear being ostracized by the fancy people. So, definitely, they see this has trying to get a justice to change their mind out of some kind of fear. And, to be fair, the leaker had the same idea. The person who will receive the pressure, I assume, is Roberts, who is an institutionalist and, from what I've read, fears the loss of the Court's respect under his watch. So this, I would gather, would be about trying to get Roberts to work against this draft opinion.

Flex

Post by Flex »

My understanding is Roberts is a no on overturning but it's 5-4 without him anyways so it doesn't matter. It might actually be a soothing balm for liberals if he did vote to overturn because it would at least render RBG's refusal to retire when Dems had control of the presidency and Senate not the single most consequential thing a pro-rights person has ever done to destroy abortion

Pex Lives!