No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sounds like the new Michael Jackson documentary, Leaving Neverland, revives the sexual abuse allegations that long dogged MJ to, in this environment, damning effect: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/opin ... rland.html
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 2:42pm
Sounds like the new Michael Jackson documentary, Leaving Neverland, revives the sexual abuse allegations that long dogged MJ to, in this environment, damning effect: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/opin ... rland.html
It's curious to me how this is even debatable at this point. That there are people who think this documentary is fraudulent is the head-scratcher.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 2:55pm
It's curious to me how this is even debatable at this point. That there are people who think this documentary is fraudulent is the head-scratcher.
people don't want to feel bad or conflicted when they play their pop records, so they lean into cognitive dissonance.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 2:55pm
people don't want to feel bad or conflicted when they play their pop records, so they lean into cognitive dissonance.
I suppose. Far more sensible, to me, to construct/rationalize an art-from-the-artist argument rather than deny the obvious.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 3:08pm
I suppose. Far more sensible, to me, to construct/rationalize an art-from-the-artist argument rather than deny the obvious.
For me, I've just sort of accepted being internally inconsistent on the issue, largely scaling to how much i enjoy the art in question. I have no problem making sure R. Kelly doesn't get a penny from me via streaming or whatever, but I'll be damned if I give up listening to Jerry Lee Lewis or Chuck Berry. With MJ, I'll probably keep the records/CDs I have, but stay away from streaming him or buying product that supports his estate. The recent Ryan Adams example is probably a good edge case: I like his work but I'm okay giving it up because his actions are just too repulsive and I just don't like his stuff enough to overcome the revulsion.

I have an easier time cutting out art in non-music fields that I like after hearing that the creator is awful. I've cut Woody Allen and Louis CK out of my life, even though I genuinely enjoyed the work of both quite a bit. There's just enough other great film and stand-up out there that I don't need to spend my time on either of them. Probably could try the same approach to music, but a life without (say) my favorite Stones or Elvis records feels like a life diminished.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 3:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For me, I've just sort of accepted being internally inconsistent on the issue, largely scaling to how much i enjoy the art in question. I have no problem making sure R. Kelly doesn't get a penny from me via streaming or whatever, but I'll be damned if I give up listening to Jerry Lee Lewis or Chuck Berry. With MJ, I'll probably keep the records/CDs I have, but stay away from streaming him or buying product that supports his estate. The recent Ryan Adams example is probably a good edge case: I like his work but I'm okay giving it up because his actions are just too repulsive and I just don't like his stuff enough to overcome the revulsion.

I have an easier time cutting out art in non-music fields that I like after hearing that the creator is awful. I've cut Woody Allen and Louis CK out of my life, even though I genuinely enjoyed the work of both quite a bit. There's just enough other great film and stand-up out there that I don't need to spend my time on either of them. Probably could try the same approach to music, but a life without (say) my favorite Stones or Elvis records feels like a life diminished.
But MJ himself wouldn’t benefit from you streaming just his kids and they have done no wrong?
I saw a young girl yesterday (probably about 9 or 10) with her parents in the city and she was wearing an MJ T shirt which just looked wrong.

Flex

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 3:26pm
But MJ himself wouldn’t benefit from you streaming just his kids and they have done no wrong?
The Michael Jackson Estate has been engaged in a vicious, decades long smear campaign against his victims - up to and including trying to discredit this new documentary. Screw his kids.*

*That's what he said.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 3:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 3:26pm
The Michael Jackson Estate has been engaged in a vicious, decades long smear campaign against his victims - up to and including trying to discredit this new documentary. Screw his kids.*

*That's what he said.
Ok fair enough then.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For me, I've just sort of accepted being internally inconsistent on the issue, largely scaling to how much i enjoy the art in question.
I don't think there is any other way of doing it. If we want to be rigorous in applying a moral test for every artist, we'll end up with a very small number of acceptable people (and I suspect that being rigorous would also have a snowball effect of constantly adding to the list of unacceptable sins, thereby shrinking the good pile ever more). So we end up being more hedonists than moralists, filtering outrage by what pleasure we'd have to abandon and whether we're prepared to do that. My preference there is that at least we're being conscious and accepting our minor part in the question rather than divorcing ourselves by denying the problem even exists. Better to socialize these issues rather than compartmentalize and immunize ourselves from bigger questions.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This is one I'm really struggling with right now. I'm a BIG Ryan Adams fan. I have been for nearly 20 years (since his days with Whiskeytown). His music has been very important to me - it's helped me get through some really dark times - and I also just like listening to it. His music was on regular rotation for me. I'm not sure how to proceed. I won't delete the songs from my library or chuck the CD's/LP's in the trash - but I also can't listen to him right now. I think a lot of how we all answer this question depends on how much we're willing to give up. I agree - I haven't given up listening to Jerry Lee or Chuck - but with someone like MJ - I will no longer listen to him. I enjoy his music - but I will no longer support him and it's more than just about where the money goes - it's about supporting his legacy.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://deadspin.com/report-high-school ... 1832745015

Political correctness: Anything that keeps me from being a complete and total asshole to people I think are less than me!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:33am

Political correctness: Anything that keeps me from being a complete and total asshole to people I think are less than me!
Why in the world would anyone think this was OK?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Because it's great to make fun of people who have less power than you! And young women need to be taught that their worth in life begins and ends with their physical appearance. What's wrong with you, Trotsky?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:46am
JennyB wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Because it's great to make fun of people who have less power than you! And young women need to be taught that their worth in life begins and ends with their physical appearance. What's wrong with you, Trotsky?
I know, I know.

I used to think cheerleading was the dumbest thing. And I still do, but I am amazed at the athleticism involved. My niece is a cheerleader (I think she might even be the co-captain) at her high school, which is funny because she is the mopiest teen I know. She hates football and barely tolerates basketball. But she loves cheerleading for some reason.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy