No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm kinda baffled by Graham announcing his intention to introduce a national abortion ban bill. This can only serve to galvanize more pro-choice voters to the polls in November. Is his hope to somehow excite the forced-birth crowd to expand on their victory in Dobbs and get them to vote? A strange thing on the face of it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 12:25pm
I'm kinda baffled by Graham announcing his intention to introduce a national abortion ban bill. This can only serve to galvanize more pro-choice voters to the polls in November. Is his hope to somehow excite the forced-birth crowd to expand on their victory in Dobbs and get them to vote? A strange thing on the face of it.
I think the possibility that Republicans are actually mostly huge dumbasses is underrated in American politics. Even when they are crafty, it's in the most blunt-force-trauma kinda way. Graham may just be a smooth brained piece of shit who is thinking about appeasing his lizard brained base and not really gaming out the electoral consequences for the party nationally. Or genuinely thinking it will help, which: lol.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 12:25pm
I think the possibility that Republicans are actually mostly huge dumbasses is underrated in American politics. Even when they are crafty, it's in the most blunt-force-trauma kinda way. Graham may just be a smooth brained piece of shit who is thinking about appeasing his lizard brained base and not really gaming out the electoral consequences for the party nationally. Or genuinely thinking it will help, which: lol.
Maybe, I guess, but it seems like such an unforced error if so. Like not pitching Pedro in a game 7 because you feel pretty good about Billy Numbnuts.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:18pm
Maybe, I guess, but it seems like such an unforced error if so. Like not pitching Pedro in a game 7 because you feel pretty good about Billy Numbnuts.
Graham may have also finally drank so much of the kool aid that, like overturning Roe in the first place, he genuinely just thinks this is the "right" thing to do. Which, again: lol

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:18pm
Graham may have also finally drank so much of the kool aid that, like overturning Roe in the first place, he genuinely just thinks this is the "right" thing to do. Which, again: lol
I might be still a bit on the naive side in thinking that, deep down, these guys are running a con and know they're running a con. Like, that's McConnell. Devious as fuck, but he's aware of what is said in public and how it advances his ambitions. Maybe more of these assholes are like Boebert than I'd guess.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:46pm
I might be still a bit on the naive side in thinking that, deep down, these guys are running a con and know they're running a con. Like, that's McConnell. Devious as fuck, but he's aware of what is said in public and how it advances his ambitions. Maybe more of these assholes are like Boebert than I'd guess.
Well, McConnell is reportedly pretty pissed that Graham is doing this, so that may be the dividing line right there.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:46pm
Well, McConnell is reportedly pretty pissed that Graham is doing this, so that may be the dividing line right there.
I do draw some mild satisfaction that this Machiavellian monster is surrounded by so many morons who would accomplish more by saying so much less.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Velma confirmed to be lesbian: https://www.npr.org/2022/10/05/11268385 ... by-doo-gay

RIght-wing writers will abandon their concern about sacred flutes and assert that this is the kind of thing that will lead people to elect a Hitler (crying eagles, etc etc).

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I don't know how many (if any) follow women's soccer/football here in the US but a report was issued about several male head coaches in the NWSL professional league and sexual aggression/assault/abuse of players. The full report (it's long) is here:
https://www.kslaw.com/attachments/000/0 ... 1664809048

A good summary article is here:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/ ... hye6w3nps0

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 10:04am
Hello,

I don't know how many (if any) follow women's soccer/football here in the US but a report was issued about several male head coaches in the NWSL professional league and sexual aggression/assault/abuse of players. The full report (it's long) is here:

Is your sense that the conduct of coaches is worse in women’s soccer or is it across the field?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 10:21am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Is your sense that the conduct of coaches is worse in women’s soccer or is it across the field?
Hello,

I really only know soccer coaches. The men addressed in the report were coaches of professional teams and exploited their position because several women felt the coach controlled their livelihood (playing time, etc.). I believe soccer has more males coaching females than other sports. I would guess this goes on across sports - how much in other sports? I don't know. I know several other incidents that weren't addressed - mainly youth and college coaches.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I really only know soccer coaches. The men addressed in the report were coaches of professional teams and exploited their position because several women felt the coach controlled their livelihood (playing time, etc.). I believe soccer has more males coaching females than other sports. I would guess this goes on across sports - how much in other sports? I don't know. I know several other incidents that weren't addressed - mainly youth and college coaches.
Whoops—exceedingly vague wording on my part. I meant across college soccer. :disshame:

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 11:35am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Whoops—exceedingly vague wording on my part. I meant across college soccer. :disshame:
Hello,

Across the soccer field (Hello Marky)? There's a few coaches married to former players - some began the relationship post playing, some began while the woman was playing. I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 11:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Hello,

Across the soccer field (Hello Marky)? There's a few coaches married to former players - some began the relationship post playing, some began while the woman was playing. I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head.
No, I mean is the kind of abuse described in this report—is it common on men's soccer teams, too (your sense, anyway)? I'm curious whether this seems like something rooted in the power dynamics between the sexes or is it in coaching culture more broadly.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 11:42am
gkbill wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 11:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

No, I mean is the kind of abuse described in this report—is it common on men's soccer teams, too (your sense, anyway)? I'm curious whether this seems like something rooted in the power dynamics between the sexes or is it in coaching culture more broadly.
Hello,

The abuses described in the report were heterosexual. There's only 3 women coaching men's collegiate teams and no females coaching men's professional teams (head coaching). I would wager the abuse on the men's side is physical and/or verbal. Very anecdotally, women's soccer is more straight than women's basketball - again, I am very limited in my knowledge of women's basketball and sexual assault. I do not know any studies investigating sexual orientations of women's sports participants - does anyone know of any?