No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 11:02am
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/8/17/ ... -complaint

Okay, girls, if you want to compete in sports, we demand to examine your genitalia first.
It's exactly what advocates have been saying would happen, despite poo-poo'ing from "sensible" commentariat folks like Jesse Singal, et cetera. Really gross stuff.

Cross-pollination from another thread, but I have a hard time discussing the idea that democrats and republicans are both equally evil (or that democrats are worse) and then read stuff like this - which is pushed exclusively by the republican party - and reconciling those two things, I have to admit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 11:02am
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/8/17/ ... -complaint

Okay, girls, if you want to compete in sports, we demand to examine your genitalia first.
It's exactly what advocates have been saying would happen, despite poo-poo'ing from "sensible" commentariat folks like Jesse Singal, et cetera. Really gross stuff.

Cross-pollination from another thread, but I have a hard time discussing the idea that democrats and republicans are both equally evil (or that democrats are worse) and then read stuff like this - which is pushed exclusively by the republican party - and reconciling those two things, I have to admit.
Agreed.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 11:29am
I've said before when talking about Canadian—hey hey hey, wake up!—that the primary difference between the Liberals and Conservatives* is that Liberal corruption is borne from a sense of entitlement, the belief that they truly represent the qualities of leadership and so their behaviour is beyond reproach. Conservatives, however, rule from a perspective of persecution and vengeance, and their corruption is from abusing their power to punish others and to chop away at institutions and norms they see as benefiting Liberals. Both are corrupt, but there is a distinction in how it is pursued that makes one more tolerable than the other.

* Since the 90s, anyway. Before that, Conservatives were a lot closer ideologically and in temperament to the Liberals, and their corruption was more the same than different.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/grand-the ... -1.6561388

Tell me you're a gamer and you're going to prove you're not a fucking bigot.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:52pm

It's the same with superhero movies, and to a lesser extent, comics. I'd like to advocate for removing the ability for people to comment on anything via any platform, but it's a really easy way to find out who to round up, stick on an island, and drop a neutron bomb on.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:52pm

It's the same with superhero movies, and to a lesser extent, comics. I'd like to advocate for removing the ability for people to comment on anything via any platform, but it's a really easy way to find out who to round up, stick on an island, and drop a neutron bomb on.
All this crap from nerds makes me retroactively support the bullies back in high school. Well, not really, but at least maybe they could have wiped each other out.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I'm just "glad" that as someone who grew up in the music-nerd wing of nerdom rather than the comics-nerd wing, that music has been so thoroughly socially and economically devalued that my music-enjoyment-as-identity roots remains seen as a retro and backwards quirk of my personality rather than culturally ascendent.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's the problem of people approaching mass, commercial culture and acting like they're pre-modern patrons. If you want to control the content, be the artist's sole source of income and support. Declaring yourself a superfan means dick all unless someone can make a buck off you because of it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 2:43pm
It's the problem of people approaching mass, commercial culture and acting like they're pre-modern patrons. If you want to control the content, be the artist's sole source of income and support. Declaring yourself a superfan means dick all unless someone can make a buck off you because of it.
THEY OWE US FOR THEIR SUCCESS
All this crap from nerds makes me retroactively support the bullies back in high school. Well, not really, but at least maybe they could have wiped each other out.
I mentioned this a couple weeks ago—it's impressive how much nerds have forgotten what it's like to be oppressed. I guess that was a different generation.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 3:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 2:43pm
THEY OWE US FOR THEIR SUCCESS
Just us and several million others!

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago—it's impressive how much nerds have forgotten what it's like to be oppressed. I guess that was a different generation.
One of the books I've used in my punk seminar, Lauraine LeBlanc's Pretty in Punk, is an ethnography of female punks. But in relating their experiences, it reveals something about some male punks. Which is to say, becoming a punk is less about rejecting bullshit patriarchal and racist ideals of conventional life than understanding that they can't win in that arena (for any number of reasons) so they gravitate to a subculture to recreate those same conditions but without the competition they can't succeed against. The same kind of shit, I think, is going on with nerds. Can't compete with the jocks? Don't try. Instead, create join a subculture and act out the same asshole behaviour there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 5:38pm
Dunno, might just be me, but I'm not finding those two ladies very attractive. Then again, I've been to Bakersfield, so I wasn't expecting too much. :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex

Post by Flex »

Damn, now we know what publication Kaleb is writing for.

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 9:57pm
Ha! Beat me to the Kaleb joke.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 1:31pm
Flex wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 9:57pm
Ha! Beat me to the Kaleb joke.
There's always at least one just under the surface.