No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 May 2022, 3:48pm
My understanding is Roberts is a no on overturning but it's 5-4 without him anyways so it doesn't matter. It might actually be a soothing balm for liberals if he did vote to overturn because it would at least render RBG's refusal to retire when Dems had control of the presidency and Senate not the single most consequential thing a pro-rights person has ever done to destroy abortion
Compare this kind of overturning of a significant case to that of Brown v Board of Ed, where Earl Warren worked his colleagues to create a unanimous verdict. That is, overturning segregation was a moral imperative that demanded a firm and unified voice from the Court. It wasn't mere politics. This one, despite the moral language that the anti-abortion side presents their position, 5-4, even 6-3, is just power politics, winning a legislative victory in another guise.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 3:56pm
Flex wrote:
My understanding is Roberts is a no on overturning but it's 5-4 without him anyways so it doesn't matter. It might actually be a soothing balm for liberals if he did vote to overturn because it would at least render RBG's refusal to retire when Dems had control of the presidency and Senate not the single most consequential thing a pro-rights person has ever done to destroy abortion
Compare this kind of overturning of a significant case to that of Brown v Board of Ed, where Earl Warren worked his colleagues to create a unanimous verdict. That is, overturning segregation was a moral imperative that demanded a firm and unified voice from the Court. It wasn't mere politics. This one, despite the moral language that the anti-abortion side presents their position, 5-4, even 6-3, is just power politics, winning a legislative victory in another guise.
One quote I read asked, "Is the case of the dog catching the car? What does the GOP do without this carrot to dangle?". It's an interesting thought. What's next? I would not expect to see some backlash from voters who only look at their own bottom line and whose lives are now potentially affected, no?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 May 2022, 5:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
One quote I read asked, "Is the case of the dog catching the car? What does the GOP do without this carrot to dangle?". It's an interesting thought. What's next? I would not expect to see some backlash from voters who only look at their own bottom line and whose lives are now potentially affected, no?
Yeah, for many years I've read that conservative political agitators didn't actually want to overturn RvW because it was a really good motivator for the base. Luckily for the right, there's an endless number of scare issues to convince their base that the wolf is at the door. But this potentially sends the abortion motivation to the other side. How the Democrats fuck it up is the real curiosity!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Can there be some kind of local political pressure not to do business with states with restrictive rights? Like NCAA refusing to do tournaments in those states or when musicians refused to play in North Carolina after instituting that anti-transgender law in 2016 and "progressive" tech companies refusing to open facilities in those states. There is a precedent for it and given pro-abortion rights being generally popular, this seems doable.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2022, 5:45pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Can there be some kind of local political pressure not to do business with states with restrictive rights? Like NCAA refusing to do tournaments in those states or when musicians refused to play in North Carolina after instituting that anti-transgender law in 2016 and "progressive" tech companies refusing to open facilities in those states. There is a precedent for it and given pro-abortion rights being generally popular, this seems doable.
I would expect that there'll be some kind of effort to that effect. Corporations to this point have concluded there's more money to be made siding with liberals than knuckledraggers on these issues, so it's a matter of coordinating pressure and following thru.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is undoubtedly correct: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... t-opinion/

This ain't just about abortion; it's about rolling back all civil rights achievements of the 20th century.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 8:11pm
This is undoubtedly correct: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... t-opinion/

This ain't just about abortion; it's about rolling back all civil rights achievements of the 20th century.
Yeah, it definitely created the architecture to roll back a lot of stuff past abortion.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm back home after a day in the state capitol because they are trying to gut our initiative petition process and then a rally for abortion rights. I am so pissed off right now, I can't even explain it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Round-up of theories re. the leaker: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/supreme- ... 31b1285f02

The idea of a conservative clerk actually makes some sense if it's because of a fear that Roberts will pull an Obamacare on the case. I still lean to it being someone who opposes the decision, but the counter does possess some logic to it.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

tepista wrote:
04 May 2022, 11:42am
I'm always amazed that there are men out there who are so intimidated by allowing women to have a voice. I can't even articulate how I really feel about this. I feel so badly for any woman these men come in contact with.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Credit where it's due: the student driver sticker is kinda funny
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That those stickers are on a Toyota is the real mystery. People like that are pretty loyal to Ford and Chevy.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

tepista wrote:
04 May 2022, 11:42am
When I see a picture like this first thing I think is "gee, somebody is insecure with their masculinity".
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2022, 12:58pm
That those stickers are on a Toyota is the real mystery. People like that are pretty loyal to Ford and Chevy.
He got tricked when a libtard in disguise told him that anyone who doesn't drive a Toyota is a homo, and he bought one 90 minutes later.

*edit* although "men are better than women" and "no fat dicks" make me wonder.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak