No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Flex »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 8:06am
Haven't seen the documentary or been very much aware of Brooke Shields these past few years but I just read the article posted below and it's made me feel a bit ill.

/carbdiem/status/1640614973117177857?s=20
Holy smokes
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 8:06am
Haven't seen the documentary or been very much aware of Brooke Shields these past few years but I just read the article posted below and it's made me feel a bit ill.

Yeah, Ive never seen either of her two famous/infamous movies. Blue Lagoon is the only one I could remember getting a ton of attention. She was 15 when it was released so younger when it was made. The male lead would have been an adult 18 or so. The other movie where she was 12 or whatever WTF? Thanks mom.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bigotry spiced up a bit with pettiness: https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/05/are ... use-floor/
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2023, 11:54am
Bigotry spiced up a bit with pettiness: https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/05/are ... use-floor/
In their narrow little minds they're probably convinced they're doing the Lords work by blocking her from sitting on the bench.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 12:35pm
With that kind of attitude "Ms." Witte has more to spend finding a husband. Good for her.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://thehardtimes.net/blog/allyship- ... ey-werent/

Reminds me of a gay student during a discussion rolling their eyes as they related having straight friends who were apologetic about their identity when in predominantly queer settings.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 9:15am
https://thehardtimes.net/blog/allyship- ... ey-werent/

Reminds me of a gay student during a discussion rolling their eyes as they related having straight friends who were apologetic about their identity when in predominantly queer settings.
Or like when straight women say "I'm a gay man in a woman's body!" I've probably done some maybe not so great things uner the guise of allyship, but never that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss is watching Project Runway (which means I'm listening to it) and one of the contestants said that their pronouns are she/they. I don't know how to unpack that.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 8:14pm
The Boss is watching Project Runway (which means I'm listening to it) and one of the contestants said that their pronouns are she/they. I don't know how to unpack that.
My limited understanding is that sometimes the person feels like they live within the gender binary and sometimes they don't. A person I work with sometimes in a coalition uses those pronouns and while she/they outwardly present as female, she/they says that they don't always feel that way.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 10:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 8:14pm
My limited understanding is that sometimes the person feels like they live within the gender binary and sometimes they don't. A person I work with sometimes in a coalition uses those pronouns and while she/they outwardly present as female, she/they says that they don't always feel that way.
Ah. The expansion and/or heightened consciousness of pronouns feels like it’s becoming more descriptive (a good thing) and more isolating (a bad thing). A desire for personal truth that takes us away from each other in the quest to express distinction. It’s worrying, frankly, given that things are already horribly polarized. Finding and expressing commonality seems more pressing than distinctiveness. It’s not about denying distinctiveness or forcing people into crude categories, but of reorienting whether we want to identify with others more than putting forth our individuality. It’s still an individual choice, but I’d hope more would want to express shared identities.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Don't know the full details, but apparently a campus organization here yesterday, as part of welcome back hooha, hired a magician who, as part of his act, called up five young women from the audience to predict the colour of their underwear. He was unsuccessful, too, at predicting that the audience would find that acceptable.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2023, 7:59am
Don't know the full details, but apparently a campus organization here yesterday, as part of welcome back hooha, hired a magician who, as part of his act, called up five young women from the audience to predict the colour of their underwear. He was unsuccessful, too, at predicting that the audience would find that acceptable.
Or maybe didn't realize Canadians dont like magic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Sep 2023, 8:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Or maybe didn't realize Canadians dont like magic.
Untrue!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Unbelievable that a pro performer would fail to read the room so badly. Have you never heard of a campus, Gob?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/