Hey limeys

Politics and other such topical creams.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 2:24pm
Weird fact: Depending on whether you use 1917 or 1922 for the birth of the Soviet Union, Queen Corgi's reign was almost as long or slightly longer than that of the Soviet Union.
I don't think any of us will forget where we were when we heard the Paedo wall fell.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Weird fact: Depending on whether you use 1917 or 1922 for the birth of the Soviet Union, Queen Corgi's reign was almost as long or slightly longer than that of the Soviet Union.
And much cuter!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And much cuter!
I dunno, Brezhnev's eyebrows were well-known as пипетки для трусиков.*

* My translation software says that's Russian for panty droppers.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Have to admit i am genuinely transfixed by a lot of the coverage, if only to gawp in wonderment at commentators and journalists trying to outdo each other for gravitas and solemnity, knowing that for most of them, it represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to really mark the occasion. And nearly all completely oblivious to the stark reality that the harder they try, the more ridiculous they sound.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

The best thing about this is they all think Spike is just joking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 6:47pm

Genuine belly laugh. But one of those things where the laugh can be one of insiders celebrating their insiderdom and one of genuine contempt for those assholes.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:

Spike total brilliance.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 7:07pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Genuine belly laugh. But one of those things where the laugh can be one of insiders celebrating their insiderdom and one of genuine contempt for those assholes.
Yeah, it's great because Spike always had impeccable comic timing, but the dynamics of the exchange arefascinating. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there is a potent mocking contempt in his words and i doubt the then prince is even his primary target.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 7:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Spike total brilliance.
A deeply complex and troubled soul i think, but very brilliant for sure.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

And i think we have a winner, people!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 3:50am
And i think we have a winner, people!

"River of humanity"

Sea of fools more like.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 3:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yeah, it's great because Spike always had impeccable comic timing, but the dynamics of the exchange arefascinating. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there is a potent mocking contempt in his words and i doubt the then prince is even his primary target.
It can easily be interpreted to regard all manner of smug and phony bastards as the greater target.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 6:13am
Low Down Low wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 3:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It can easily be interpreted to regard all manner of smug and phony bastards as the greater target.
That's it for me anyway. I've never forgotten the first time i saw Spike interviewed on a chatshow when i was a kid. The host was in the process of some long-winded typically smarmy intro when this voice bellows from behind the curtain: "get on with it!" and then out shuffles Milligan with a sly, sheepish grin on his face. He could be utterly charming one minute, then sharp and scabrous the next, without any warning. I remember at one point fellow guest Gilbert O'Sullivan saying he was an avid reader and Spike immediately butting in - "what's avid reading?" - and holding an imaginary book up to his face - "oh look, he's avid reading!" Poor inoffensive Gilbert didn't deserve that i thought, but that was Spike, sometimes cruel but always sharp and devastatingly amusing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 6:39am
That's it for me anyway. I've never forgotten the first time i saw Spike interviewed on a chatshow when i was a kid. The host was in the process of some long-winded typically smarmy intro when this voice bellows from behind the curtain: "get on with it!" and then out shuffles Milligan with a sly, sheepish grin on his face. He could be utterly charming one minute, then sharp and scabrous the next, without any warning. I remember at one point fellow guest Gilbert O'Sullivan saying he was an avid reader and Spike immediately butting in - "what's avid reading?" - and holding an imaginary book up to his face - "oh look, he's avid reading!" Poor inoffensive Gilbert didn't deserve that i thought, but that was Spike, sometimes cruel but always sharp and devastatingly amusing.
The life of a smart-ass. For all the things he said, imagine how much he kept to himself, knowing it was funny but would have created unnecessary hurt.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 7:06am
Low Down Low wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 6:39am
The life of a smart-ass. For all the things he said, imagine how much he kept to himself, knowing it was funny but would have created unnecessary hurt.
Yeah, cod analysis and hackneyed, but i think smart asshumour was simply how he countered the effects of a troubled childhood and manic depression. Bit like JG Ballard i think there were scars there that left them both with rather dim views of humanity in general.