Hey limeys

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 8:36am
Yeah, it's like how the fuck are we going to convince people we're way better than North Korea at this stuff if we tell them stuff like this :rolleyes:
This is tangentially related, but the memory popped up. A few years ago, Canadian heritage horseshit was advertising the 100th anniversary of some WWI battle that Canada was prominent in (yay! our turn to get slaughtered!) and framed as Canada putting on its big boy pants for the rest of the world. Which is bad enough. But the voiceover in the PSAs talked about Canada's participation in WWI as a fight for freedom and democracy. What the complete fuck? No credible historian argues that was what that bloodbath was for. Wilson shoehorned that idea in when the US entered, but that was not what any of it was about. Just nakedly terrible propaganda.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 8:53am
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, it's like how the fuck are we going to convince people we're way better than North Korea at this stuff if we tell them stuff like this :rolleyes:
This is tangentially related, but the memory popped up. A few years ago, Canadian heritage horseshit was advertising the 100th anniversary of some WWI battle that Canada was prominent in (yay! our turn to get slaughtered!) and framed as Canada putting on its big boy pants for the rest of the world. Which is bad enough. But the voiceover in the PSAs talked about Canada's participation in WWI as a fight for freedom and democracy. What the complete fuck? No credible historian argues that was what that bloodbath was for. Wilson shoehorned that idea in when the US entered, but that was not what any of it was about. Just nakedly terrible propaganda.
Read a few books, watched a few docs, and among all the various causes advanced, don't think I've ever heard that one. Just think, though, if Ireland's invasion of Canada in the mid-19th century had come off, you'd probably have been able to remain neutral like us!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 9:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Read a few books, watched a few docs, and among all the various causes advanced, don't think I've ever heard that one. Just think, though, if Ireland's invasion of Canada in the mid-19th century had come off, you'd probably have been able to remain neutral like us!
But what of freedom? What. Of. Freedom?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 10:12am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
What of it? Basically just another word for nothing left to lose if you ask me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Freedom is just a shitty Paul McCartney or George Michael song.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 10:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

George Michael's Freedom is not a shitty song, thank you very much.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:03am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Apart from the music, lyrics, and performance, you’re right!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:04am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You can't see this, but I'm sticking my tongue out at you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I accept your concession of defeat. :ugeek:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Come on! It was the war to end all wars. An it worked! :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Hard agree - Freedom 90 slaps.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:13am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Rigged. Fake news.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 12:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:13am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Rigged. Fake news.
:lol:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote: