Hey limeys

Politics and other such topical creams.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Heston »

Supper was always a late night snack to be eaten after the "breakfast/dinner/tea" trilogy. Something that may be purloined at a late hour, hence "fish supper." You wouldn't be assaulted for saying "supper" around here but if you called dinner "lunch" you would probably get a thick ear.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 6:10pm
matedog wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 5:59pm
BitterTom wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 5:49pm
Breakfast - Dinner - Tea. No debate.
Some parts of the US are Breakfast - Dinner - Supper. That's weird to me though.
That's how it was when I grew up. By the late 80s, I'm thinking, we started using lunch. Dinner and supper are used interchangeably (at least in my circle).
Yeah, Breakfast – Lunch – Dinner/Supper here. “Dinner” is somewhat more modern/formal than “supper” and is more commonly used, but I still hear "supper" quite a bit. I'm a "dinner" man myself. “Supper” would have been what my grandparents who grew up on farms around 1910-1940 called it, and my parents occasionally say it, but to me it has a slightly old-fashioned ring to it. “Suppertime!” is what I would have said to my dog in the 80s-90s though, and he’d come a-runnin’.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 6:49pm
Don't forget in Eton Rifles, Weller wasn't accusing the dude of loading the guns and running off home for a beverage. He was running off home for his evening meal.
That's so weird. That's like, "hey I'm going home for hamburger" but "hamburger" means a coffee.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 7:20pm
Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 6:49pm
Don't forget in Eton Rifles, Weller wasn't accusing the dude of loading the guns and running off home for a beverage. He was running off home for his evening meal.
That's so weird. That's like, "hey I'm going home for hamburger" but "hamburger" means a coffee.
Loud chuckle
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Some parts of the US are Breakfast - Dinner - Supper. That's weird to me though.
That's how it was when I grew up. By the late 80s, I'm thinking, we started using lunch. Dinner and supper are used interchangeably (at least in my circle).
It was always breakfast, lunch, dinner/supper for us. I worked with an old Mainer who would use either dinner or supper (I can't recall which) for lunch. It annoyed the fuck out of me, to be fair it was part of a much longer list of annoyances.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Curry sauce with fish and chips is just fucking sick. Mushy peas all the way.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 7:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
It was always breakfast, lunch, dinner/supper for us. I worked with an old Mainer who would use either dinner or supper (I can't recall which) for lunch. It annoyed the fuck out of me, to be fair it was part of a much longer list of annoyances.
I think it would have been dinner he used rather than supper. I suspect Northern English roots in his family.

It's the opposite with me, I hate the word lunch. Even just the sound of the word annoys me.

tosh133
Corner Soul

Post by tosh133 »

Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 7:23pm
Nothing wrong with fish chips and a carton of curry. Nothing at all.

while we are at it, it is curry and chips but chips and gravy. Anyone who says them differently is simply wrong,

Heston

Post by Heston »

tosh133 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 7:39pm
Heston wrote:

while we are at it, it is curry and chips but chips and gravy. Anyone who says them differently is simply wrong,
I can totally get curry sauce with chips, but once fish comes into the equation it's no-no for me.

Correct on your second point.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 7:57pm
tosh133 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 7:39pm
Heston wrote:

I can totally get curry sauce with chips, but once fish comes into the equation it's no-no for me.

Correct on your second point.
I had the best fish & chips of my life at Brockley's Rock in London and got the curry sauce on the side. Good with the chips, but the peas went better with the fish. I gotta figure out how to make curry sauce.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I've known Chinese chippies have 'rice, chips & gravy' on the menu.
Carbohydrate overload - but fantastic.
(And what is it about chinese chips, ie chips from a proper Chinese run fish and chip shop? I've made myself starving now)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 7:26pm
revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 7:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
I think it would have been dinner he used rather than supper. I suspect Northern English roots in his family.

It's the opposite with me, I hate the word lunch. Even just the sound of the word annoys me.
Yeah fair enough. I think he's like the first person I ever met to use the term that way, I believe most people use the term lunch in the US.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

"Let's do lunch"

Fuck off!

Yep would've had the piss ripped out of you for using the word "lunch". Always dinner and agree with the "fish supper". Also agree chips and curry sauce is great. But if you're having fish then it's mushy peas all the way home if they last that long.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Agree with chips and curry sauce (though I'd prefer cheese & gravy) but when fish gets involved it's tartar sauce and nothing else.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 9:57pm
"Let's do lunch"
Fuck off!
Absolutely, Marky! (if 'absolutely' isn't too annoying either :mrgreen: ) Couldn't agree more.

For me, fish & chips has to come with mushy peas, and of course salt and plenty of vinegar. Adding tartare sauce or maybe tomato ketchup is OK but not essential.
The plate just doesn't look complete without that splodge of green on it somewhere.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres