Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:16am
Silent Majority wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 9:46am
Tory defections are good news.
This all has a weird resemblance of sorts to what happened in Canada in the 80s and 90s. So, in the early 80s, the Canada, led by the Liberals, gained true constitutional independence from Britain, which involved constructing our own constitution. At the time, Quebec was led by separatists who weren't exactly on board with what the rest of Canada wanted in a constitution, which led to it being passed without Quebec's support. A few years later, the Conservatives are led by Brian Mulroney, from Quebec, who strikes his own deal with French nationalists to get what they want into the constitution. The Tories sweep Quebec in the '84 election and he begins constitutional talks to satisfy the nationalists. A deal is made but fails to be ratified in several provinces, which leads to another plan and a national referendum, which also fails. Meanwhile, conservatives outside of Quebec, especially on the prairies, feel that Mulroney is too pro-Quebec and they split off into a populist party, while Quebec nationalists, bitter over the constitutional failure, form their own federal separatist party. The effect is that the federal Conservatives were utterly gutted, and in the 1993 federal election the governing Tories went from 169 seats … to 2. (The social democrats were also almost wiped out.) So parliament was dominated for the next decade by the Liberals faced by conservative populists and French nationalists. All set in motion by Mulroney's playing footsie with the nationalists who felt betrayed by the Liberals over the constitution. (There was also another referendum in Quebec to secede in the 90s, which barely failed. Part of the fall-out from that was a scandal that ended up consuming the federal Liberal government.)

Sound anything like what David Cameron unleashed by agreeing to that stupid Brexit referendum?
Sure does. Ours is madder and harder because this is England.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Ta-da!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Inder wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 2:38pm
Ta-da!

Ive heard 0 things from these guys about how they'd approach Brexit.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 2:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 1:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 9:05am
The boy geniuses are leaving the Labour party. This will go great. It will be fantastic.
"Hey look at us were leaving too". Only two hours ago I had no idea who Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen were. Now they are famous and get to show off their new Marks & Spencers outfits. Politics is a lovely way to spend a day.
I've got more respect for these three than the insignificant seven. I believe theirs is a genuinely principled act, albeit with principles I find abhorrent.
Yep I’m all for Bananrama reforming as well.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 2:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 1:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 9:05am
The boy geniuses are leaving the Labour party. This will go great. It will be fantastic.
"Hey look at us were leaving too". Only two hours ago I had no idea who Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen were. Now they are famous and get to show off their new Marks & Spencers outfits. Politics is a lovely way to spend a day.
I've got more respect for these three than the insignificant seven. I believe theirs is a genuinely principled act, albeit with principles I find abhorrent.
Gets you up and it gets you out
But how long can you keep it up?
Gimme Labour, gimme Tory
So cheap and real corny

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 2:41pm
Inder wrote:
Ta-da!

I don't think they are planning to approach it from the left or the right. There must be another way we don't know about. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 6:54am
Silent Majority wrote:
Inder wrote:
Ta-da!

I don't think they are planning to approach it from the left or the right. There must be another way we don't know about. ;)
A third way, you say?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 8:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Inder wrote:
Ta-da!

A third way, you say?
Fun fact: If you made a composite face of all those principled tsk'ers, it'd look exactly like Tony Blair.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 9:29am
Silent Majority wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 8:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Inder wrote:
Ta-da!

A third way, you say?
Fun fact: If you made a composite face of all those principled tsk'ers, it'd look exactly like Tony Blair.
A Blair Wicth!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I would imagine reality is somewhere in the middle. But again, my relatives, who have been longtime lefties, are scared. I wish people would listen to them.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:43pm
I would imagine reality is somewhere in the middle. But again, my relatives, who have been longtime lefties, are scared. I wish people would listen to them.
What's the nature of the fear? That is, what do they think Corbyn would do? (I'm not asking in a snarky way; genuine curiosity.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
I genuinely feel for your relatives JB and any other people in this country suffering from any kind of racism. When I think what our fathers/grandfathers sacrificed for this to still rear it's ugly head in these times it's a disgrace.

This following statement from that article is the issue for me. This should not be a question that needs to be asked. Without any shadow of doubt reach for the latter.

“Do we respond with simple condemnation, or do we try and reach out beyond our comfort zone and prevent others from following?”

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:47pm
JennyB wrote:
What's the nature of the fear? That is, what do they think Corbyn would do? (I'm not asking in a snarky way; genuine curiosity.)
It's not Corbyn, per se. They feel, much like we do here in the states with Trump, that he has fostered an environment that makes it OK for people to come out of the woodwork and spew their hatred. According to the Guardian, there were 1,382 hate incidents and 34% rise in violent assaults against Jewish people in 2017. But people tend to not take antisemitism seriously because they see it as "punching up" and they often use the Israel excuse to back it up. But I would venture to guess that many people aren't necessarily as pro-Palestinian as they are anti-Jewish. I am the last person to claim antisemitism when someone criticizes Israel. But a lot of people hide behind that. And sometimes I feel that we are not allowed to determine what WE think is antisemitism.

ETA: We are dealing with this in St. Louis right now. It has not come to light yet, but a friend of mine is on the Board of Alderman. One of her fellow aldermen is very critical of Israel, which, fine. But he always has to make statements like "and they are the fake Jews - the Khazars" or "the Holocaust was exaggerated." Those are the kind of comments my cousins are being subjected to. Criticize Israel all you want. But leave your antisemitic conspiracy bullshit out of it.
Last edited by JennyB on 22 Feb 2019, 3:46pm, edited 2 times in total.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:54pm
JennyB wrote:
I genuinely feel for your relatives JB and any other people in this country suffering from any kind of racism. When I think what our fathers/grandfathers sacrificed for this to still rear it's ugly head in these times it's a disgrace.

This following statement from that article is the issue for me. This should not be a question that needs to be asked. Without any shadow of doubt reach for the latter.

“Do we respond with simple condemnation, or do we try and reach out beyond our comfort zone and prevent others from following?”
Thank you, Marky.
Got a Rake? Sure!