Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 7:52am
The whole thing seems like the collapse of the Roman empire, with emperors ascending by murdering the top guy, then getting dispatched themselves a few months or years later, betrayed from within.

And meanwhile, Labour sits without a moral core after Blair/Brown sold it for temporary votes a couple decades ago.
Exactly this, et tu Brute? and all that. Johnson actually wailing about the press treatment in his resignation speech and referring to the "Darwinian" nature of it all. Well, live by the sword etc. And seems to me labours entire moral core revolves around the privilege to abandon any principle or promise whatsoever, no matter how righteous, on the basis it will claw them closer to power, just like Blair did. They all play the same game, but the tories lay out the pitch and the ground rules and always enjoy home advantage.
Exactly. Tories are more authentic vipers; they don't play at being better than who they are. Voters at some level do respect that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:19am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The whole thing seems like the collapse of the Roman empire, with emperors ascending by murdering the top guy, then getting dispatched themselves a few months or years later, betrayed from within.

And meanwhile, Labour sits without a moral core after Blair/Brown sold it for temporary votes a couple decades ago.
Exactly this, et tu Brute? and all that. Johnson actually wailing about the press treatment in his resignation speech and referring to the "Darwinian" nature of it all. Well, live by the sword etc. And seems to me labours entire moral core revolves around the privilege to abandon any principle or promise whatsoever, no matter how righteous, on the basis it will claw them closer to power, just like Blair did. They all play the same game, but the tories lay out the pitch and the ground rules and always enjoy home advantage.
Exactly. Tories are more authentic vipers; they don't play at being better than who they are. Voters at some level do respect that.
Yeah, Johnson as the "honest liar", a commendation that carried him for far longer than was respectable by any modest standard.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, Johnson as the "honest liar", a commendation that carried him for far longer than was respectable by any modest standard.
Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon were well-known liars, and quite good at it, until they lost that fig leaf of plausible deniability. Trump has succeeded because his supporters, in no small part, are happy when he lies as long as it drives liberals crazy. His lying is central to his appeal because they know liberals still play lip-service to honesty in politics.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 9:21am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon were well-known liars, and quite good at it, until they lost that fig leaf of plausible deniability. Trump has succeeded because his supporters, in no small part, are happy when he lies as long as it drives liberals crazy. His lying is central to his appeal because they know liberals still play lip-service to honesty in politics.
And then you have the poor sad ideologues on the left who get mocked and scorned by all sides. One thing about Johnson, for all they're knifing him now he'll always have a special place in their hearts for saving them from the abyss of the pro Russian stooge Corbyn, even though it was Johnson who secretly met with an ex KGB spy while foreign minister and then subsequently awarded him a life peerage when becoming pm. You can't even see the mirrors for all the smoke.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 9:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 9:21am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

And then you have the poor sad ideologues on the left who get mocked and scorned by all sides. One thing about Johnson, for all they're knifing him now he'll always have a special place in their hearts for saving them from the abyss of the pro Russian stooge Corbyn, even though it was Johnson who secretly met with an ex KGB spy while foreign minister and then subsequently awarded him a life peerage when becoming pm. You can't even see the mirrors for all the smoke.
The higher up the ladder of governance you go, the more prevalent the corruption. If you want decent people, it's going to be mayors and town councilpeople. Not always, of course, but there's a much greater chance of a sincere person who legit cares about the community and the responsible execution of their duties.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 7:47am
In fairness to what kory was saying yesterday, in relation to accountability, on reflection I'd have to agree there's definitely something in it. Johnson is the third tory pm to face a vote of confidence from his party in modern times, after Thatcher and Theresa May, and despite all three winning those votes, they were still summarily despatched a short time later. So while not perfect, I would have to concede there is at least some reckoning at play there.
THAT'S IT! I'm moving to England.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 1:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:
In fairness to what kory was saying yesterday, in relation to accountability, on reflection I'd have to agree there's definitely something in it. Johnson is the third tory pm to face a vote of confidence from his party in modern times, after Thatcher and Theresa May, and despite all three winning those votes, they were still summarily despatched a short time later. So while not perfect, I would have to concede there is at least some reckoning at play there.
Ireland could be a decent choice too if you can hack the rain. Last major scandal i recall here was a dinner event held during covid restrictions that took down a deputy leader and government minister, an EU commissioner, the vice chairman of the senate, a senior justice as well as sundry other hacks and minions. People were understandably hacked off about it all at the time, but does seem a rather heavy toll now when I look back on it.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 4:32am
Well, he's done. The big dog is finally taken down. I should have listened to the doommongers! And now to the next couple of months and the tory faithful coming together to figure out, can we find someone even worse than this 😭
I was kind of surprised he stepped down, especially after the speech he gave yesterday, something about leaders lead through tough times blah, blah blah.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 2:16pm
if you can hack the rain.
Well I AM from Seattle...

What about Scotland? I’ve been to Ireland but next on my list is the northernmost.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Ireland could be a decent choice too if you can hack the rain. Last major scandal i recall here was a dinner event held during covid restrictions that took down a deputy leader and government minister, an EU commissioner, the vice chairman of the senate, a senior justice as well as sundry other hacks and minions. People were understandably hacked off about it all at the time, but does seem a rather heavy toll now when I look back on it.
Leo's pretty brazen with his bullshit, but his lies do seem to come from a more innocent time than the US & UK.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
They won't let Kory through the trade barriers. I hear he's carrying.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 4:42am
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Leo's pretty brazen with his bullshit, but his lies do seem to come from a more innocent time than the US & UK.
Oh absolutely, and the air of arrogance and entitlement about him when he's challenged and pulled up on stuff! The biggest scandal about him, though, is him leaking a confidential government document to a pal that's dragged on for 3 years and, in the larger scheme of things, seems rather small beer when you consider what goes on elsewhere. Our politics a bit like our climate I guess - occasional squalls but very temperate overall. Obviously, that's an observation rather than a complaint!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 5:03am
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
He could try to apply for "trusted trader" status but frankly I'm not super confident of his chances.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 6:06am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 5:03am
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
He could try to apply for "trusted trader" status but frankly I'm not super confident of his chances.
Trust-a-Trader.com

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Too soon to call a death watch for the other Liz?