Low Down Low wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 4:13pm
Kory wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 4:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 2:35pm
Kory wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 1:48pm
Wish this kind of stuff would happen here.
Do you mean for the public good or just for entertainments sake? There's also rumours floating around that the main UK opposition leader might go too for being caught drinking a beer during lockdown which, if it did happen, would probably have to go down as one of the most ridiculous self inflicted sword-fellings in the history of politics. I don't think the public is the winner in any of this, but there's never a dull moment etc
I have plenty of my own entertainment, I just wish people would get their comeuppance once in a while around here. You know, instead of scandal being a feature and not a bug.
Ah ok, i getcha. It's already pretty astonishing what Johnson has gotten away with, though, and I wouldn't be betting my non existent mortgage that he'll go this time either, for all half his party seems to have quit him now. A bit of bloodletting is good every now and again, of course, though the aftermath is often a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".
No kidding—around here it was like every other week people were saying "this is going to be the thing that finally takes him down!" and of course I would get called "negative" all the time just for being a realist about the whole thing. All you have to do is pay attention to realize nothing is ever going to touch these guys in a meaningful way.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 6:38pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 1:48pm
Wish this kind of stuff would happen here.
Do you mean for the public good or just for entertainments sake? There's also rumours floating around that the main UK opposition leader might go too for being caught drinking a beer during lockdown which, if it did happen, would probably have to go down as one of the most ridiculous self inflicted sword-fellings in the history of politics. I don't think the public is the winner in any of this, but there's never a dull moment etc
I have plenty of my own entertainment, I just wish people would get their comeuppance once in a while around here. You know, instead of scandal being a feature and not a bug.
Ah ok, i getcha. It's already pretty astonishing what Johnson has gotten away with, though, and I wouldn't be betting my non existent mortgage that he'll go this time either, for all half his party seems to have quit him now. A bit of bloodletting is good every now and again, of course, though the aftermath is often a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".
No kidding—around here it was like every other week people were saying "this is going to be the thing that finally takes him down!" and of course I would get called "negative" all the time just for being a realist about the whole thing. All you have to do is pay attention to realize nothing is ever going to touch these guys in a meaningful way.
Some comedian—can't think who, but Patton Oswalt seems right—likened it to watching the The Dukes of Hazzard: Oooo, those Duke boys are caught for sure this time! [commercial break] Nope, Rosco P. Coltrane done blowed it again!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 7:09pm
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Some comedian—can't think who, but Patton Oswalt seems right—likened it to watching the The Dukes of Hazzard: Oooo, those Duke boys are caught for sure this time! [commercial break] Nope, Rosco P. Coltrane done blowed it again!
I think not just in US but most likely everywhere, something changed maybe last decade or more where politicians were pretty much goosed once they stepped out of line to basically saying fuck you anytime they're held to account. It's now pretty much stake through the heart stuff to actually get them out.

And still, some people just still refuse to get it:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 7:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:

I think not just in US but most likely everywhere, something changed maybe last decade or more where politicians were pretty much goosed once they stepped out of line to basically saying fuck you anytime they're held to account. It's now pretty much stake through the heart stuff to actually get them out.

I remember the days—tho, admittedly, I was a kid—when ministers resigned for all kinds of misconduct. One's reputation mattered. Strangely (or maybe not?), as the media became more pervasive and less respectful, politicians became less driven by reputation and "honour." Whether the two things are connected or not, but as the media lost its gatekeeping role, politicians became less accountable.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 7:57pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I remember the days—tho, admittedly, I was a kid—when ministers resigned for all kinds of misconduct. One's reputation mattered. Strangely (or maybe not?), as the media became more pervasive and less respectful, politicians became less driven by reputation and "honour." Whether the two things are connected or not, but as the media lost its gatekeeping role, politicians became less accountable.
I think there's definite correlation there, part of a complex picture at least. The 1990s tories were utter sleazebags but when caught pants down, as it were, it was out the door soon as you buckled up. Finito! Now, it's like they expect a promotion whenever they get exposed as perverts or sex pests. How or why it's changed I'm not sure, but I can say the sexual pecadillos of (mostly right wing) politicians barely makes a dent in newspaper headlines these days.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I think there's definite correlation there, part of a complex picture at least. The 1990s tories were utter sleazebags but when caught pants down, as it were, it was out the door soon as you buckled up. Finito! Now, it's like they expect a promotion whenever they get exposed as perverts or sex pests. How or why it's changed I'm not sure, but I can say the sexual pecadillos of (mostly right wing) politicians barely makes a dent in newspaper headlines these days.
There's an old piece of writing from Hunter Thompson, talking about (duh, who else) Richard Nixon:
McGovern made some stupid mistakes, but in context they seem almost frivolous compared to the things Richard Nixon does every day of his life, on purpose, as a matter of policy and a perfect expression of everything he stands for. Jesus! Where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to be President?
That last bit is what I come back to so often, as it's a barrel seemingly without a bottom to be scraped. There's just an endless line of knaves and clowns who take shamelessness and corruption as a personal challenge.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 8:41pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

There's an old piece of writing from Hunter Thompson, talking about (duh, who else) Richard Nixon:
McGovern made some stupid mistakes, but in context they seem almost frivolous compared to the things Richard Nixon does every day of his life, on purpose, as a matter of policy and a perfect expression of everything he stands for. Jesus! Where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to be President?
That last bit is what I come back to so often, as it's a barrel seemingly without a bottom to be scraped. There's just an endless line of knaves and clowns who take shamelessness and corruption as a personal challenge.
Yeah, it's a reminder that all this is nothing new whatsoever, merely a decades or even centuries old story. I feel at this stage, the best we can ever realistically hope for is some mid managerial type who might feed liberally from the trough but whose good side would still outweigh the bad. I don't foresee too many FDRs or Clement Attlees riding in on white horses to restore the good names of politics and democracy and if they did, the press would probably monster them anyway and kill them at the polls.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Well, he's done. The big dog is finally taken down. I should have listened to the doommongers! And now to the next couple of months and the tory faithful coming together to figure out, can we find someone even worse than this 😭

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You may have forced him out, you jackals, but a man without shame will not leave with his head bowed!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:46am
You may have forced him out, you jackals, but a man without shame will not leave with his head bowed!
The guy who once said events like these have 2 ways of happening, very gradually and then all at once. Kinda feels like that this morning. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in No.10 now absolutely mincing the gaff after spending 100k of other people's money redecorating it last year!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The guy who once said events like these have 2 ways of happening, very gradually and then all at once. Kinda feels like that this morning. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in No.10 now absolutely mincing the gaff after spending 100k of other people's money redecorating it last year!
Back during the Trump's time in the White House, when no scandal affected his base support, a historian said that the same thing happened with Nixon. Even before Watergate, no matter how dirty he got, it didn't affect the base, which led to the belief he'd be able to ride out Watergate. And then the dam just broke. Seemingly, there is a point where the spell is broken and seeming invulnerability is stripped away in a heartbeat. But nobody knows where the line is, so that's the game.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 7:12am
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Back during the Trump's time in the White House, when no scandal affected his base support, a historian said that the same thing happened with Nixon. Even before Watergate, no matter how dirty he got, it didn't affect the base, which led to the belief he'd be able to ride out Watergate. And then the dam just broke. Seemingly, there is a point where the spell is broken and seeming invulnerability is stripped away in a heartbeat. But nobody knows where the line is, so that's the game.
I think with BJ it's always been implicitly understood that the line veers round the question of electoral magnetism. Once he began to lose that weird x factor appeal, it would likely be a matter of time before his colleagues and media overlords began to turn on him. The litany of shame and scandals is merely a sidenote, a mild catalyst at best. Watching the trail of criticism and resignations past 2 days is all purely self preservation and, as someone said, rats deserting a sinking rat. One guy accepted promotion as chancellor only yesterday now decides it's in his better interests to join the plotters today and tell Johnson to go, just about sums it all up I'd say.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

In fairness to what kory was saying yesterday, in relation to accountability, on reflection I'd have to agree there's definitely something in it. Johnson is the third tory pm to face a vote of confidence from his party in modern times, after Thatcher and Theresa May, and despite all three winning those votes, they were still summarily despatched a short time later. So while not perfect, I would have to concede there is at least some reckoning at play there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The whole thing seems like the collapse of the Roman empire, with emperors ascending by murdering the top guy, then getting dispatched themselves a few months or years later, betrayed from within.

And meanwhile, Labour sits without a moral core after Blair/Brown sold it for temporary votes a couple decades ago.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 7:52am
The whole thing seems like the collapse of the Roman empire, with emperors ascending by murdering the top guy, then getting dispatched themselves a few months or years later, betrayed from within.

And meanwhile, Labour sits without a moral core after Blair/Brown sold it for temporary votes a couple decades ago.
Exactly this, et tu Brute? and all that. Johnson actually wailing about the press treatment in his resignation speech and referring to the "Darwinian" nature of it all. Well, live by the sword etc. And seems to me labours entire moral core revolves around the privilege to abandon any principle or promise whatsoever, no matter how righteous, on the basis it will claw them closer to power, just like Blair did. They all play the same game, but the tories lay out the pitch and the ground rules and always enjoy home advantage.