Hey limeys

Politics and other such topical creams.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2023, 7:51pm
I told the Boss that what I wanted was for Queen Tentaclia to burst forth at the last minute and scream, "I'm not dead!" That's why Limeys lost their influence to America—no understanding of how to do a proper narrative.
What I find so puzzling is why so many non Limey's care in the first place. Jealousy? morbid fascination? Fuck if you want them please take them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

The best thing about the coronation was little Louis and his facial expressions.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I told the Boss that what I wanted was for Queen Tentaclia to burst forth at the last minute and scream, "I'm not dead!" That's why Limeys lost their influence to America—no understanding of how to do a proper narrative.
What I find so puzzling is why so many non Limey's care in the first place. Jealousy? morbid fascination? Fuck if you want them please take them.
Celebrity culture. Hollywood recreated a type of royalty a hundred years ago, which has spread as a general dominant social value. It's the desire to look up to people who have a particular kind of skill—acting, athletics, musical ability—and then treat them as entirely our betters.

(In The Boss' case, tho, her maternal grandmother and aunts came from Liverpool and were staunch royalists/imperialists, so that was part of her upbringing. However much her critical brain rejects that stuff, this crap activates the emotional part. But it baffles me how someone whose academic speciality and passion is anti-colonialism and how indigenous people have resisted and/or fought back, can still embrace the beneficiaries of that system. I get that we all have blind spots, but I'm at a complete loss to process that.)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2023, 10:36am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Celebrity culture. Hollywood recreated a type of royalty a hundred years ago, which has spread as a general dominant social value. It's the desire to look up to people who have a particular kind of skill—acting, athletics, musical ability—and then treat them as entirely our betters.

(In The Boss' case, tho, her maternal grandmother and aunts came from Liverpool and were staunch royalists/imperialists, so that was part of her upbringing. However much her critical brain rejects that stuff, this crap activates the emotional part. But it baffles me how someone whose academic speciality and passion is anti-colonialism and how indigenous people have resisted and/or fought back, can still embrace the beneficiaries of that system. I get that we all have blind spots, but I'm at a complete loss to process that.)
I totally side with you here. I understand how these people are looked upon and that "Hollywood culture" you mention. But what I find totally alien is why through the ages these fuckers have been tolerated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2023, 11:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I totally side with you here. I understand how these people are looked upon and that "Hollywood culture" you mention. But what I find totally alien is why through the ages these fuckers have been tolerated.
Then, like now, it's about having a persuasive narrative, and claiming you've been picked by god to rule—and, hey, you're ruling aren't you? It must be true!—is a solid story. And it still works today—look at how evangelicals buy the idea that Trump has been selected by god.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2023, 11:48am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Then, like now, it's about having a persuasive narrative, and claiming you've been picked by god to rule—and, hey, you're ruling aren't you? It must be true!—is a solid story. And it still works today—look at how evangelicals buy the idea that Trump has been selected by god.
Yeah god knows who.

This is why I can't stand the royals and all the stuff that surrounds. The national anthem sucks "God Save the King" yeah save that privileged wealthy fucker but no mention of the people. It's all such bullshit. With the masses all joining in just to have a party. Drives me nuts

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah god knows who.

This is why I can't stand the royals and all the stuff that surrounds. The national anthem sucks "God Save the King" yeah save that privileged wealthy fucker but no mention of the people. It's all such bullshit. With the masses all joining in just to have a party. Drives me nuts
One of the questions I like to ask history majors is whether they think of history as a garden to be tended because it nurtures us, or a prison that we study in order to escape. The monarchy is an example of why we should treat the past as a prison. Keeping around a pre-modern institution because of tradition and some perverse version of romanticism is absurdity blended with tragedy. Absolutely nothing positive about them, while plenty corrosive.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah god knows who.

One of the questions I like to ask history majors is whether they think of history as a garden to be tended because it nurtures us, or a prison that we study in order to escape. The monarchy is an example of why we should treat the past as a prison. Keeping around a pre-modern institution because of tradition and some perverse version of romanticism is absurdity blended with tragedy. Absolutely nothing positive about them, while plenty corrosive.
Agreed. I find the "English" the worst with this nonsense just accepting that's the way it has to be because it's always been that way. It's just so appalling.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Same. If the French got anything right it was their approach to royalty

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:48pm
I find the "English" the worst with this nonsense just accepting that's the way it has to be because it's always been that way. It's just so appalling.
My dad used to argue that traditions endured for a good reason—they worked. He was far from a stupid man, but it was terrible logic. But he was a guy who played by the rules and prospered, so he couldn't fathom that there could be any other way. However unconsciously, I think he's shaped my attitude toward history.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 May 2023, 1:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Same. If the French got anything right it was their approach to royalty
During CBC's coverage yesterday of the Official Tentacling, as they were showing shots of various historical places in London, it was mentioned that this one place was the spot where the first King Charles was executed. Then everyone in the booth got embarrassed and said they shouldn't talk about such sad events. Yes, so sad when monarchs are dispatched. :rolleyes:

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah god knows who.

Agreed. I find the "English" the worst with this nonsense just accepting that's the way it has to be because it's always been that way. It's just so appalling.
I find it baffling.

One of my best friends from high school moved to the UK, married and had a kid, divorced but is still living there, got caught up in all this, which I found surprising. She was into punk as I was and had sort of railed against the establishment as most young kids do, but she was actually excited for the coronation. She said she loved the pageantry of it all, calling it a once in a lifetime thing. It almost sounded like she became a royalist while living over there. We were messaging and it was hard for me not to say something negative about it, but I managed to say something positive about the queen. Not Charles though. I won't say anything positive about that dingaling. :twitch:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mimi wrote:
07 May 2023, 1:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah god knows who.

I find it baffling.

One of my best friends from high school moved to the UK, married and had a kid, divorced but is still living there, got caught up in all this, which I found surprising. She was into punk as I was and had sort of railed against the establishment as most young kids do, but she was actually excited for the coronation. She said she loved the pageantry of it all, calling it a once in a lifetime thing. It almost sounded like she became a royalist while living over there. We were messaging and it was hard for me not to say something negative about it, but I managed to say something positive about the queen. Not Charles though. I won't say anything positive about that dingaling. :twitch:
They're all leeches as far as I'm concerned. They always have been and always will be. Andrew should be doing time for being a nonce. The rest are vampires with the masses offering their blood freely.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2023, 1:42pm
Mimi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah god knows who.

I find it baffling.

They're all leeches as far as I'm concerned. They always have been and always will be. Andrew should be doing time for being a nonce. The rest are vampires with the masses offering their blood freely.
The fact that Andrew was even there, was allowed to participate, is nauseating.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mimi wrote:
07 May 2023, 1:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2023, 1:42pm
Mimi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I find it baffling.

The fact that Andrew was even there, was allowed to participate, is nauseating.
I saw some shots of him in a car where he looked so shady he may as well had "nonce" tattooed on his head. Horrible excuse for a human being.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia