Re: Hey limeys

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 7:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 7:06am
Low Down Low wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 6:39am
That's it for me anyway. I've never forgotten the first time i saw Spike interviewed on a chatshow when i was a kid. The host was in the process of some long-winded typically smarmy intro when this voice bellows from behind the curtain: "get on with it!" and then out shuffles Milligan with a sly, sheepish grin on his face. He could be utterly charming one minute, then sharp and scabrous the next, without any warning. I remember at one point fellow guest Gilbert O'Sullivan saying he was an avid reader and Spike immediately butting in - "what's avid reading?" - and holding an imaginary book up to his face - "oh look, he's avid reading!" Poor inoffensive Gilbert didn't deserve that i thought, but that was Spike, sometimes cruel but always sharp and devastatingly amusing.
The life of a smart-ass. For all the things he said, imagine how much he kept to himself, knowing it was funny but would have created unnecessary hurt.
Yeah, cod analysis and hackneyed, but i think smart asshumour was simply how he countered the effects of a troubled childhood and manic depression. Bit like JG Ballard i think there were scars there that left them both with rather dim views of humanity in general.
Funny people, as a general rule, are expressing some kind of trauma. Experience has taught them not to see the world straight on. The laughter is a release, but they are damaged in some respect.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 7:56am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
That's it for me anyway. I've never forgotten the first time i saw Spike interviewed on a chatshow when i was a kid. The host was in the process of some long-winded typically smarmy intro when this voice bellows from behind the curtain: "get on with it!" and then out shuffles Milligan with a sly, sheepish grin on his face. He could be utterly charming one minute, then sharp and scabrous the next, without any warning. I remember at one point fellow guest Gilbert O'Sullivan saying he was an avid reader and Spike immediately butting in - "what's avid reading?" - and holding an imaginary book up to his face - "oh look, he's avid reading!" Poor inoffensive Gilbert didn't deserve that i thought, but that was Spike, sometimes cruel but always sharp and devastatingly amusing.
The life of a smart-ass. For all the things he said, imagine how much he kept to himself, knowing it was funny but would have created unnecessary hurt.
Yeah, cod analysis and hackneyed, but i think smart asshumour was simply how he countered the effects of a troubled childhood and manic depression. Bit like JG Ballard i think there were scars there that left them both with rather dim views of humanity in general.
Funny people, as a general rule, are expressing some kind of trauma. Experience has taught them not to see the world straight on. The laughter is a release, but they are damaged in some respect.
What about witty people?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 7:56am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
What about witty people?
They're mostly just asshole show-offs. Looking at you, Wilde.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
We are all damaged in some form or other. But it's how we treat others that counts. Spike just saw through the mundane bullshit of the situation and turned it on it's head. Gilbert would've been more than aware of Spike's acidic humour and I doubt he was offended in the least. Gilbert is a pretty laid back guy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

What the fuck is with this shlub?

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 4:22pm
For a hot second, I thought that was Roger Stone.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 4:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kinda thought the same thing, but there's no way in the world the Royals would invite that POS to the services.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
KR Meets The Queen.jpeg
KR Meets The Queen.jpeg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 670 times

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 8:00pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Okay, that's quite funny.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 7:00pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kinda thought the same thing, but there's no way in the world the Royals would invite that POS to the services.
Hello,

What are all those medals for?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

gkbill wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 12:22am
Sparky wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Not sure about charles, think he might have been in the navy for a week, but i do know andrew won all his medals for noncing.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I'm not positive, but I think one of them is for successfully using a fountain pen. :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 9:05am
gkbill wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I'm not positive, but I think one of them is for successfully using a fountain pen. :mrgreen:
I think he go one for bustin' some moves on the dance floor to Gloria Gaynor's"I Will Survive" at a Windsor night club in 1978.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss is home again, which means the tv has to be on to watch the funeral. Among the inane things I've heard from CBC personnel there, as the coffin rolls by we were told that that's the queen in her coffin. Which may sound stupidly obvious unless you know that at royal funerals there are always a dozen decoy coffins to foil Catholics who seek to steal the body in order to create an elixir that provides the Pope with dark power.