The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in the 50s, Dwight Macdonald railed about what he called middlebrow culture—stuff that looks intellectual or high culture, but is really an empty vessel and contributes to a more vacuous society. There's plenty wrong with that view, but whenever I hear about Thomas Friedman's latest pronouncements, I kinda feel like old Dwight.
https://splinternews.com/tom-friedman-t ... 1834609733
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Drew Magary writes in detail about the aneurysm that almost killed him: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-n ... 1834298070

It's harrowing stuff.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 1:24pm
Drew Magary writes in detail about the aneurysm that almost killed him: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-n ... 1834298070

It's harrowing stuff.
Harrowing is an understatement. He really is lucky to be alive. Aneurysms are the scariest fucking thing. My mom's significant other's niece died of one when she was 23. She was in tip top shape. Had a headache one night and was gone an hour later.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
16 May 2019, 4:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's harrowing stuff.
Harrowing is an understatement. He really is lucky to be alive. Aneurysms are the scariest fucking thing. My mom's significant other's niece died of one when she was 23. She was in tip top shape. Had a headache one night and was gone an hour later.
If he wasn't with a whole bunch of people and near a hospital when it happened, he would have been fucked. Such a disturbing mix. Deeply unlucky to have something go pop in his head in the first place, extremely lucky for his environment when it happened.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 4:47pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's harrowing stuff.
If he wasn't with a whole bunch of people and near a hospital when it happened, he would have been fucked. Such a disturbing mix. Deeply unlucky to have something go pop in his head in the first place, extremely lucky for his environment when it happened.
Yep.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Holy Jesus.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 4:47pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's harrowing stuff.
My friend in residency just told me a tale of brain hemorrhage that I couldn't forget for days. I'll not repeat it here, as it's too traumatizing.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 3:20pm
My friend in residency just told me a tale of brain hemorrhage that I couldn't forget for days. I'll not repeat it here, as it's too traumatizing.
We severely underpay medical professionals for both their skills and the horrible stuff they witness. That they can develop that kind of psychological insulation is remarkable. Even if I had the intellectual aptitude required, I know I wouldn't make it emotionally.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 3:27pm
Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 3:20pm
We severely underpay medical professionals for both their skills and the horrible stuff they witness. That they can develop that kind of psychological insulation is remarkable. Even if I had the intellectual aptitude required, I know I wouldn't make it emotionally.
Yeah, I suppose it takes a certain kind of person. Though I will say that he did faint the first time they cut open a cadaver, and Medical Student Syndrome is a real thing. They can't totally escape being human.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There are some media people who you know before clicking that it's going to be awful. Tom Friedman and David Brooks, of course. Amanda Marcotte, definitely. Which is why I don't look at their stuff unless tempted by how they're going to fuck something up. Like this morning, in which Marcotte explains how the Beyond Meat burger is a threat to vegetarianism by being too good: https://www.salon.com/2019/06/09/is-the ... tarianism/ Yes, stop eating meat—but not that way!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 7:17am
There are some media people who you know before clicking that it's going to be awful. Tom Friedman and David Brooks, of course. Amanda Marcotte, definitely. Which is why I don't look at their stuff unless tempted by how they're going to fuck something up. Like this morning, in which Marcotte explains how the Beyond Meat burger is a threat to vegetarianism by being too good: https://www.salon.com/2019/06/09/is-the ... tarianism/ Yes, stop eating meat—but not that way!
lol:
I don't want to be a curmudgeon or a snooty hipster
If that's the case, Marcotte seriously needs to rethink every article she has written in her entire career.

I don't even really disagree with her basic points: vegetables are good, menu diversity is good, if you want to become a vegetarian (and even if you don't!) it's probably good to appreciate the taste of vegetables for what they are. I do agree it would be a negative if these fake meat burgers eliminated quality meat-alternative menu options.

But the whole initial framing is inane, and derived from the same problem that plagues 100% of the rest of her work: she mistakes her (rather bad and unrepresentative) personal preferences for universal experience. She didn't become a vegetarian (pescetarian actually, lol) for health or moral reasons (in which case, it would be interesting to analyze this new meat substitute on either of those grounds, as some others have done). She stopped eating meat because she didn't really like the taste. Well, okay, but you personally not liking meat doesn't make for great culinary critique (and the quotes she got from her friend or whatever are dumb as hell). And seemingly begrudging other people for actually liking the thing that you personally, for no professed ethical or health related reason, don't like is no basis for an article.

In closing, of fucking course this is her worldview:
the rise of fake meats is creating a feeling that's reminiscent of the experience of watching the small indie band you've adored for a long time finally achieve mainstream success. On one hand, you're thrilled to see more people find their way to liking something you've liked for a long time. On the other hand, you worry that going mainstream will destroy the very thing you loved in the first place.
As with every other social and political position Marcotte affects, its purely with the goal of signaling what a uniquely tasteful and enlightened person she is compared to the unwashed masses. None of her views are rooted in solidarity or common struggle. She's absolutely the living embodiment of the smug liberal elitist.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 8:22am
In closing, of fucking course this is her worldview:
the rise of fake meats is creating a feeling that's reminiscent of the experience of watching the small indie band you've adored for a long time finally achieve mainstream success. On one hand, you're thrilled to see more people find their way to liking something you've liked for a long time. On the other hand, you worry that going mainstream will destroy the very thing you loved in the first place.
As with every other social and political position Marcotte affects, its purely with the goal of signaling what a uniquely tasteful and enlightened person she is compared to the unwashed masses. None of her views are rooted in solidarity or common struggle. She's absolutely the living embodiment of the smug liberal elitist.
The underlying argument of my diss was that intellectual elites' fear and contempt for the tastes of the masses back in the 50s is an ongoing narrative. I was surprised by the amount of pushback I got on this point. We all accept popular culture now, don't we? I didn't exactly have a hard time coming up with examples of contemporary critics disparaging mass taste and why it's dragging everyone down. That need to see the world as a pyramid, and one that they fear is inverted, guides the vast majority of cultural and political critics.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

On centrist pundits who know America's interests are their interests: https://thebaffler.com/civilifications/ ... dy-denison

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

:lol:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »