No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92646
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Once again, conservatives love talking about the experience of slavery if it can be applied to their present circumstances: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-bar ... 9eb6eaf9b9
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5652
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Olaf »

*wrong thread*

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48589
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 5:32pm
*wrong thread*
Racist!
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5652
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 6:15pm
Olaf wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 5:32pm
*wrong thread*
Racist!
;)

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92646
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u ... -1.5768730

Those academics citing freedom of expression and intellectual integrity are arguing that somehow they can't teach possibly teach without having access to racist and sexist slurs. Try fucking harder, assholes. The Boss teaches in a department that is focused on race and marginalization and, gee, somehow she's been able to do this quite well without resorting to ugly language. This ain't no slippery slope to 1984, and if you want to plant your flag on the same hill as a bunch of bigots, your principles are being revealed.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48589
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:13am
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u ... -1.5768730

Those academics citing freedom of expression and intellectual integrity are arguing that somehow they can't teach possibly teach without having access to racist and sexist slurs. Try fucking harder, assholes. The Boss teaches in a department that is focused on race and marginalization and, gee, somehow she's been able to do this quite well without resorting to ugly language. This ain't no slippery slope to 1984, and if you want to plant your flag on the same hill as a bunch of bigots, your principles are being revealed.
This seems beyond their pathetic reason to me. Yes the word exists and the word itself can not be eradicated from existence. But it offends and is offensive so why cause further hurt.

I suppose this word along with many other hateful words could be discussed by those wanting to understand how hatred has fuelled racism from year one. But it shouldn't be used openly in any classroom where the pupil doesnt have a right but to attend.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92646
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 7:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:13am
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u ... -1.5768730

Those academics citing freedom of expression and intellectual integrity are arguing that somehow they can't teach possibly teach without having access to racist and sexist slurs. Try fucking harder, assholes. The Boss teaches in a department that is focused on race and marginalization and, gee, somehow she's been able to do this quite well without resorting to ugly language. This ain't no slippery slope to 1984, and if you want to plant your flag on the same hill as a bunch of bigots, your principles are being revealed.
This seems beyond their pathetic reason to me. Yes the word exists and the word itself can not be eradicated from existence. But it offends and is offensive so why cause further hurt.

I suppose this word along with many other hateful words could be discussed by those wanting to understand how hatred has fuelled racism from year one. But it shouldn't be used openly in any classroom where the pupil doesnt have a right but to attend.
Going beyond issues of white privilege and the belief in speech without consequence, part of the problem, I think, is that for white male academics (predominantly, but not exclusively) these issues are entirely abstract and intellectual questions, and so they are approached as with any other scholarly matter. But for people of colour or women or LGBT students, this stuff hits not in an abstract way but as reminders of lived experience. There's a disconnect on the instructor side of the podium as to how the language can be received. These issues can and must still be discussed, but there are ways of doing so without seeming callous and dismissive. And, yes, there will be rare times when you pretty much can't get around the use of some of those words, but they are indeed rare. (Coincidentally, I have my Rock Against Racism lecture today. And I will be quoting extensively from Clapton's hideous rant and Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech, but I know I can get the point across very well without repeating the obvious slurs.)
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48589
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 8:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 7:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:13am
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u ... -1.5768730

Those academics citing freedom of expression and intellectual integrity are arguing that somehow they can't teach possibly teach without having access to racist and sexist slurs. Try fucking harder, assholes. The Boss teaches in a department that is focused on race and marginalization and, gee, somehow she's been able to do this quite well without resorting to ugly language. This ain't no slippery slope to 1984, and if you want to plant your flag on the same hill as a bunch of bigots, your principles are being revealed.
This seems beyond their pathetic reason to me. Yes the word exists and the word itself can not be eradicated from existence. But it offends and is offensive so why cause further hurt.

I suppose this word along with many other hateful words could be discussed by those wanting to understand how hatred has fuelled racism from year one. But it shouldn't be used openly in any classroom where the pupil doesnt have a right but to attend.
Going beyond issues of white privilege and the belief in speech without consequence, part of the problem, I think, is that for white male academics (predominantly, but not exclusively) these issues are entirely abstract and intellectual questions, and so they are approached as with any other scholarly matter. But for people of colour or women or LGBT students, this stuff hits not in an abstract way but as reminders of lived experience. There's a disconnect on the instructor side of the podium as to how the language can be received. These issues can and must still be discussed, but there are ways of doing so without seeming callous and dismissive. And, yes, there will be rare times when you pretty much can't get around the use of some of those words, but they are indeed rare. (Coincidentally, I have my Rock Against Racism lecture today. And I will be quoting extensively from Clapton's hideous rant and Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech, but I know I can get the point across very well without repeating the obvious slurs.)
Yes this is the fight against ignorance when discussing this subject and showing it the respect it deserves. Intellectually and morally using it to show the history of its sad usage is a necessary thing to do.

Best of luck with lecture mate. From the heart as always.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15044
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 8:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 7:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:13am
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u ... -1.5768730

Those academics citing freedom of expression and intellectual integrity are arguing that somehow they can't teach possibly teach without having access to racist and sexist slurs. Try fucking harder, assholes. The Boss teaches in a department that is focused on race and marginalization and, gee, somehow she's been able to do this quite well without resorting to ugly language. This ain't no slippery slope to 1984, and if you want to plant your flag on the same hill as a bunch of bigots, your principles are being revealed.
This seems beyond their pathetic reason to me. Yes the word exists and the word itself can not be eradicated from existence. But it offends and is offensive so why cause further hurt.

I suppose this word along with many other hateful words could be discussed by those wanting to understand how hatred has fuelled racism from year one. But it shouldn't be used openly in any classroom where the pupil doesnt have a right but to attend.
Going beyond issues of white privilege and the belief in speech without consequence, part of the problem, I think, is that for white male academics (predominantly, but not exclusively) these issues are entirely abstract and intellectual questions, and so they are approached as with any other scholarly matter. But for people of colour or women or LGBT students, this stuff hits not in an abstract way but as reminders of lived experience. There's a disconnect on the instructor side of the podium as to how the language can be received. These issues can and must still be discussed, but there are ways of doing so without seeming callous and dismissive. And, yes, there will be rare times when you pretty much can't get around the use of some of those words, but they are indeed rare. (Coincidentally, I have my Rock Against Racism lecture today. And I will be quoting extensively from Clapton's hideous rant and Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech, but I know I can get the point across very well without repeating the obvious slurs.)
Yeah people police their own speech all the time. Im not above cursing/swearing but I dont use those words in many settings.

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 6551
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Mimi »

I sat behind a proud boy at a traffic stop this morning. I was driving the man's honkin' big truck and never felt such a strong urge to run someone over. NRA sticker and an automatic rifle sticker on bumpers. Asshole.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4453
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 10:49am
I sat behind a proud boy at a traffic stop this morning. I was driving the man's honkin' big truck and never felt such a strong urge to run someone over. NRA sticker and an automatic rifle sticker on bumpers. Asshole.
Yuck. I don't know if I'm just noticing them more, but seems like a lot of these clowns are out and about right now. There is a guy down the street who has 2 large American flags attached to his truck...along with several Trump bumper stickers.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Rock on George, one time for Ringo." - Ringo Starr

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 6551
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:22am
Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 10:49am
I sat behind a proud boy at a traffic stop this morning. I was driving the man's honkin' big truck and never felt such a strong urge to run someone over. NRA sticker and an automatic rifle sticker on bumpers. Asshole.
Yuck. I don't know if I'm just noticing them more, but seems like a lot of these clowns are out and about right now. There is a guy down the street who has 2 large American flags attached to his truck...along with several Trump bumper stickers.
They do seem to be more open about it. I was actually shocked to see the OK symbol. It seemed so blatant.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 19445
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:22am
Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 10:49am
I sat behind a proud boy at a traffic stop this morning. I was driving the man's honkin' big truck and never felt such a strong urge to run someone over. NRA sticker and an automatic rifle sticker on bumpers. Asshole.
Yuck. I don't know if I'm just noticing them more, but seems like a lot of these clowns are out and about right now. There is a guy down the street who has 2 large American flags attached to his truck...along with several Trump bumper stickers.
They do seem to be more open about it. I was actually shocked to see the OK symbol. It seemed so blatant.
Yep. We were next to a white guy the other night who was blasting rap in his car that had a blue lives matter bumper stiucker.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 35418
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 12:08pm
Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:22am
Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 10:49am
I sat behind a proud boy at a traffic stop this morning. I was driving the man's honkin' big truck and never felt such a strong urge to run someone over. NRA sticker and an automatic rifle sticker on bumpers. Asshole.
Yuck. I don't know if I'm just noticing them more, but seems like a lot of these clowns are out and about right now. There is a guy down the street who has 2 large American flags attached to his truck...along with several Trump bumper stickers.
They do seem to be more open about it. I was actually shocked to see the OK symbol. It seemed so blatant.
Yep. We were next to a white guy the other night who was blasting rap in his car that had a blue lives matter bumper stiucker.
Kanye, duh.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Post Reply