No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 11:44am
revbob wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 8:56am
Sparky wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 8:45am
revbob wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 6:53pm

My daughter a straight A student in HS with excellent SAT scores was told by teachers and fellow students that she owed her college admissions to affirmative action.
I hope she had a good comeback response to such a thoughtless & ignorant statement.
She's only just told me like 9 years after the fact. Same with the shit she faced in elementary school. We were always close and all but she kept that stuff to herself unfortunately. She basically cut herself off from a lot of people from those days and seems better for it.
Hello,

I have occasionally told my son people like that are best viewed in a rear-view mirror.
True words of wisdom right there!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

My sentiments exactly!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 11:47am
My sentiments exactly!

Susan Neiman, in her book about how Americans and Germans have faced up (and not faced up) to their past, makes the observation that we don't have to work hard to appreciate the pain and disgust that a Jewish person would feel if their neighbours had swastikas publicly displayed, yet it is entirely foreign by so many to consider how the descendents of slaves feel about neighbours showing off the stars and bars. Why aren't the perspectives of African Americans taken into account? Why is there no shame in the fact that a war was fought to keep their ancestors in chains?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 12:10pm
Sparky wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 11:47am
My sentiments exactly!

Susan Neiman, in her book about how Americans and Germans have faced up (and not faced up) to their past, makes the observation that we don't have to work hard to appreciate the pain and disgust that a Jewish person would feel if their neighbours had swastikas publicly displayed, yet it is entirely foreign by so many to consider how the descendents of slaves feel about neighbours showing off the stars and bars. Why aren't the perspectives of African Americans taken into account? Why is there no shame in the fact that a war was fought to keep their ancestors in chains?
Because most of us (Jews) in the US are white/white passing? (I know this is a rhetorical question).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 8:54am
WTF is wrong with these people?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/flori ... 3#comments
There’s a consistent disconnect from the right where anything that affects them that they don’t like is “literally slavery” and a betrayal of god and the revolution (e.g., wearing masks in grocery stores), but actual slavery, nah, it wasn’t *that* bad. I remember when the subject of slaves building the White House popped up maybe a decade ago, Bill O’Reilly made a point of relating the quality of their diet and living quarters to say that, really, slaves had it pretty good compared to white people.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Sparky wrote:

Just insanity.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:

When I moved below the Mason-Dixon line, I took a few tours of local history. The plantations were small but they were still plantations. On one of the tours, I believe it was the tour guide who said it, but it was implied oh so subtly that the slaves on this particular plantation had it pretty good (I saw the slave's houses and they did not have it good) and the person was talking about how a group of them escaped. Someone in the tour group spoke up and said, if they had it so good here why did they risk leaving? The guide stammered a bit and tried to answer. It was eye opening for me as I had no idea, being a northerner, that people tried to hem and haw this shit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 11:57am
Sparky wrote:

When I moved below the Mason-Dixon line, I took a few tours of local history. The plantations were small but they were still plantations. On one of the tours, I believe it was the tour guide who said it, but it was implied oh so subtly that the slaves on this particular plantation had it pretty good (I saw the slave's houses and they did not have it good) and the person was talking about how a group of them escaped. Someone in the tour group spoke up and said, if they had it so good here why did they risk leaving? The guide stammered a bit and tried to answer. It was eye opening for me as I had no idea, being a northerner, that people tried to hem and haw this shit.
I was impressed when we did the Monticello tour that the guide didn't hide the problem of Jefferson's professed ideals and being a slaveholder. The guide didn't mention that Jefferson was also a rapist, but it was, well, implied.

But it is a fascinating thing that people today feel they need to defend or soften the evil acts of people long dead. Why are you making yourself a co-conspirator of sorts? Why are you choosing to identify with terrible people like that? For example, I can't help that my family homesteaded on land surrendered under coercive conditions, but I do have the choice to not defend it. Like, that's bare minimum and an easy thing to do. Yet so damned many people would rather deny and rationalize to defend sins committed by others.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 11:35am

Yeah this like the people who argue who good prisoners have it. Shit if its that good Im sure you can manage to get in and live the life.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

What a dick.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 8:05pm
What a dick.

Mind you, had he been a slave, he would have developed beneficial skills to finish the show.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 8:05pm
What a dick.

Has he had public opinions about slaves or something?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc