No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by BostonBeaneater »

What the fuck! The only thing these people understand is a bat to the knee. I say we start giving it to them.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 2:58pm
What the fuck! The only thing these people understand is a bat to the knee. I say we start giving it to them.
Nice job by the superintendent. We've been dealing with similar crap in our local district, going as far as putting together an equity group in 2019, but getting buy in from the school board or the superintendent has been very difficult. They're either indifferent, or will tell you one thing, but then take the safer route (the one that won't anger the racist, but vocal, minority of our community).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Racist poster created by Yorba Linda HS students directed at their football rivalry Esperanza HS. What is wrong with these kids?

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/09/29/y ... esperanza/
Attachments
Yorba Linda HS Racist Poster.jpg
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Assholes.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Talk about a totally inappropriate and hateful thing to say, especially from someone in a respected position such as a teacher. What a jerk.

North Carolina charter school teacher resigned for telling Black students in her class that if not for the constitution, they would be her "field slaves".

https://apnews.com/article/winston-sale ... f507eda0f2

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 5:43pm
Talk about a totally inappropriate and hateful thing to say, especially from someone in a respected position such as a teacher. What a jerk.

North Carolina charter school teacher resigned for telling Black students in her class that if not for the constitution, they would be her "field slaves".

Jesus assraping Christ, it's like the past seventy years never happened. It's the regularity of these kinds of stories that amaze and appall.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 6:47pm
Sparky wrote:

Jesus assraping Christ, it's like the past seventy years never happened. It's the regularity of these kinds of stories that amaze and appall.
It's North Carolina, land of the inbred Jebs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:

A fucking "charter school".

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 7:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Me and the missuz did our MA's down the road in Greensboro in the 90s, and that kind of discourse was wholly foreign to our experience. Even allowing that the real world is not inside the campus, we never had any hint of that level of retrograde attitudes. Was it going on under our nose? Was it being stifled but maintained internally? Or has it been more actively promoted in more recent years? I don't know but that openly contemptible language and attitude is just plain shocking to me.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 7:15pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Me and the missuz did our MA's down the road in Greensboro in the 90s, and that kind of discourse was wholly foreign to our experience. Even allowing that the real world is not inside the campus, we never had any hint of that level of retrograde attitudes. Was it going on under our nose? Was it being stifled but maintained internally? Or has it been more actively promoted in more recent years? I don't know but that openly contemptible language and attitude is just plain shocking to me.
I suspect it's always been there and most folks knew it was inappropriate to voice such opinions. IMO the MAGA movement changed all of that and empowered the hateful to crawl out from under their rocks and be heard. As tRumpy would say, "sad".

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 7:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I suspect it's always been there and most folks knew it was inappropriate to voice such opinions. IMO the MAGA movement changed all of that and empowered the hateful to crawl out from under their rocks and be heard. As tRumpy would say, "sad".
That's doubtless part of it. Yet I have a difficult time accepting that this is all to the story, that these loathsome ideas were just silenced for so long and then given licence to be spoken aloud.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

AM DJ on Sirius-XM's 1st Wave told an awful joke yesterday. The punchline involved him walking into a nail salon and having the owner scream "PICK A COLOR PICK A COLOR" in a very stereotypical Asian accent. Dude, it's 2021 and we've had some high profile anti-Asian hate crimes this year, so maybe not the best joke to tell.

Also, he typically plays boring songs, though this morning he spun I Fought the Law, but then immediately gave away any goodwill he had earned by playing the bloated This Corrossion, which went on and on and on...

PS: I just looked him up. He's known as Sluggo and/or Baron Von Slug and used to work at KROQ. He's not good, especially when they have the legendary Richard Blade in the afternoon.

PSS: I'm only listening to Sirius-XM because Ticketmaster gave me 3 months for free. I'm not a fan of the sound quality.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 8:12pm
Sparky wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 7:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's doubtless part of it. Yet I have a difficult time accepting that this is all to the story, that these loathsome ideas were just silenced for so long and then given licence to be spoken aloud.
Hello,

We've been in North Carolina for a while (moved to Oregon for 10 years in between NC stints). We've haven't seen much of this. The deepest concern is the old southern types - "We get along with black folk fine - they got their neighborhoods and we got ours". Although the old NC types wouldn't admit it, the best thing for NC has been the migration of outsiders to the state - new people bring new ideas.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 10:45am
Hello,

We've been in North Carolina for a while (moved to Oregon for 10 years in between NC stints). We've haven't seen much of this. The deepest concern is the old southern types - "We get along with black folk fine - they got their neighborhoods and we got ours". Although the old NC types wouldn't admit it, the best thing for NC has been the migration of outsiders to the state - new people bring new ideas.
Our department secretary was a lovely proper Southern lady who, I think, took special interest in us, to make sure these foreign students would have the best experience possible. She never said anything remotely racist to us and we never observed her treat any of the African American grad students differently, but a couple faculty members with whom we were friends said she'd make comments like how doves and crows should stay in their own nests. We have no reason to think those profs were lying, yet it didn't square with what we observed. But then again, Southerners have a long tradition of not revealing themselves to outsiders except on their own terms.

One of the things that I often heard, tho, from our friends down there was that, yes, people from elsewhere would move to the state, but more often than not, they'd be the ones to acculturate, rather than alter the culture. But change is often slow, so perhaps we're just impatient for more tolerant and cosmopolitan attitudes to take root. Still, it's depressing to read these kinds of stories of NC because we do have so many fond memories of our time there.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Met my new neighbour today, passed the time of day with him, had a little chat. Music came up and he told me he was an Al Jolson impersonator. Great, that sounds amazing - I'd love to see it one day, I said - fascinated by the idea that the fella 18cm away might be doing blackface in his spare time and not ready to find out. When I find out, you will.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/