No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 3:01pm
The alt-right are such fucking fantasy nerds: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alt-right_glossary

Somebody needs to eradicate them. In Minecraft.
I had a student last term do a zine on tabletop gaming—making your own models and playing war sims—because he was into it and was royally pissed about how alt-right assholes are ruining the community. I had no clue about those communities, but also how these shitfucks were ruining something fundamentally social with their asshole politics.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 4:35pm
Kory wrote:
The alt-right are such fucking fantasy nerds: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alt-right_glossary

I had a student last term do a zine on tabletop gaming—making your own models and playing war sims—because he was into it and was royally pissed about how alt-right assholes are ruining the community. I had no clue about those communities, but also how these shitfucks were ruining something fundamentally social with their asshole politics.
They ruin everything they get their hands on. Can't even use the goddamn OK sign.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:

I must live a sheltered life, I'd never heard of most of these symbols, completely disgusting, very disappointing. :disshame:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 6:46pm
Kory wrote:

I must live a sheltered life, I'd never heard of most of these symbols, completely disgusting, very disappointing. :disshame:
Reading through that last made me ill.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 7:50pm
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:

It looked too daunting to read, so I didn't.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 8:45pm
Mimi wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 7:50pm
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:

It looked too daunting to read, so I didn't.
I only skimmed it myself, but it's useful reference for whenever.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 11:33am
Karen and the Kops strike again.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/black-pastor- ... d=88814137
That's pretty f'd up, would they PD have done the same thing if a white guy had been watering the yard? Doubt it. :disshame:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:

Well, he wasn't shot, so there is that.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:49pm
revbob wrote:

That's pretty f'd up, would they PD have done the same thing if a white guy had been watering the yard? Doubt it. :disshame:
Nah but Karen wouldn't even have called them if the guy was white.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We had something like that happen when we lived in NC. We lived in a massive apartment complex (gkbill: if you know of Lincoln Green at Battleground and New Garden, that's where we lived) that had about 40–50 buildings of, I think, 16 units each. All units had outdoor entrances. Across the (outdoor) hallway from us was a single African-American woman. She was shy or stand-offish, so we never interacted, but seemed decent enough. Anyway, one day we got a call at school from the complex management asking permission to go into our unit. One of our neighbours reported an intruder standing on our balcony. Of course, we said, go on in to make sure our cats are safe. Nobody was in there, nobody had broken in, cats were fine and looking for a cuddle. Turns out, it was the unit across the hallway—her brother or cousin was visiting. But a nosy neighbour saw a strange black man—or maybe strange didn't enter into the calculus—out on a balcony and assumed the worst.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 2:42pm
We had something like that happen when we lived in NC. We lived in a massive apartment complex (gkbill: if you know of Lincoln Green at Battleground and New Garden, that's where we lived) that had about 40–50 buildings of, I think, 16 units each. All units had outdoor entrances. Across the (outdoor) hallway from us was a single African-American woman. She was shy or stand-offish, so we never interacted, but seemed decent enough. Anyway, one day we got a call at school from the complex management asking permission to go into our unit. One of our neighbours reported an intruder standing on our balcony. Of course, we said, go on in to make sure our cats are safe. Nobody was in there, nobody had broken in, cats were fine and looking for a cuddle. Turns out, it was the unit across the hallway—her brother or cousin was visiting. But a nosy neighbour saw a strange black man—or maybe strange didn't enter into the calculus—out on a balcony and assumed the worst.
Hello,

Lincoln Green is still there. Greensboro has come a long way - still a ways to go. When we moved about 20 years ago, we looked everywhere in the city - ended up moving to Yanceyville and Cone - a distinctly more black than white neighborhood. Apartments on that side of town were much cheaper. The downside was you had to drive a ways to find a decent supermarket/grocery store.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 1:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Lincoln Green is still there. Greensboro has come a long way - still a ways to go. When we moved about 20 years ago, we looked everywhere in the city - ended up moving to Yanceyville and Cone - a distinctly more black than white neighborhood. Apartments on that side of town were much cheaper. The downside was you had to drive a ways to find a decent supermarket/grocery store.
We didn't get over to that side of town that often (didn't know anybody over there, so not a lot of reason other than just exploring). Our recollection of Greensboro was that of a relatively moderate New South kind of city, less of the extreme wealth disparity of Winston-Salem, not diverse like Chapel Hill, and also allergic to its own past. For example, we were struck by the fact that the site of the Woolworth's sit-in was not well publicized. Likewise its Quaker pacifist history. Even UNCG, formerly a notable women's college, didn't play up its own history better.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 2:01pm
Sparky wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:49pm
revbob wrote:

Nah but Karen wouldn't even have called them if the guy was white.
We're flying to Alabama next month to visit our daughter next month, looking forward to the trip, but a little concerned about the inbred Jebs we may encounter.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 2:03pm
gkbill wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 1:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

We didn't get over to that side of town that often (didn't know anybody over there, so not a lot of reason other than just exploring). Our recollection of Greensboro was that of a relatively moderate New South kind of city, less of the extreme wealth disparity of Winston-Salem, not diverse like Chapel Hill, and also allergic to its own past. For example, we were struck by the fact that the site of the Woolworth's sit-in was not well publicized. Likewise its Quaker pacifist history. Even UNCG, formerly a notable women's college, didn't play up its own history better.
Hello,

Greensboro is probably ahead of the curve in race relations - other's opinions and experiences may vary. I'm also amazed that the International Civil Rights Center & Museum (located on the Woolworth's site https://www.sitinmovement.org/) doesn't attract more visitors (for what it's worth, my wife has not shown much interest). UNCG has downplayed it's past as it's tried to move forward into a more residential institution. It used to be a ghost town on weekends. Downtown has opened a lot of nightspots and students at UNCG are much more a part of Greensboro. Young people have helped Greensboro move forward socially. A&T is still a distant second to UNCG - the largest HBCU in the country with a really strong engineering program should have a bigger presence. There's still some "Aggie Pride" bumper stickers, t shirts, and the lot but overall A&T lacks exposure. They had a lot (lot!) of athletic department scandals but have cleaned things up and actually have had an undefeated season in NCAA football - without much publicity/recognition. That would probably be my biggest concern regarding racism in Greensboro - the failure to promote, appreciate, and provide exposure for NC A&T.

Greensboro suffers from the little sister syndrome in many ways but it's still a good place to raise a family (if that's what you're after).