No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 8:09pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:01pm
Don’t know how much of the Christchurch Mosque shooters sentencing has been covered overseas but listening to the victim impact statements they showed remarkable restraint and humility. Even when tempers boiled over they were able to control their actions.
I think a few lessons could be learnt in how to conduct yourself even in the face of extreme provocation.
Perhaps but this is a case of apples v kiwis. There is a big difference when agents of the state pull the trigger and historically they've done so largely without fear of prosecution or of even being charged with anything..
I don’t get your point. My post was nothing to do with what is happening in America.
Fair point

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 8:21pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 8:09pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
Don’t know how much of the Christchurch Mosque shooters sentencing has been covered overseas but listening to the victim impact statements they showed remarkable restraint and humility. Even when tempers boiled over they were able to control their actions.
I think a few lessons could be learnt in how to conduct yourself even in the face of extreme provocation.
Perhaps but this is a case of apples v kiwis. There is a big difference when agents of the state pull the trigger and historically they've done so largely without fear of prosecution or of even being charged with anything..
I don’t get your point. My post was nothing to do with what is happening in America.
Fair point
It was just a comment / observation of the civility of the victims.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

This is how those people raise their children...

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
Hey Wally, does NZ have the death penalty? Just saw the shooter's sentence was announced as life without parole, I'd assume that's the max penalty available.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 10:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
Hey Wally, does NZ have the death penalty? Just saw the shooter's sentence was announced as life without parole, I'd assume that's the max penalty available.
Yes it is the max sentence plus this is the first time it has been given out since the death penalty was abolished in 1961.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:27pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:57pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:48pm

No, in support of protesters. That pro athletes—normally pretty apolitical, don't court controversy people—are increasingly standing out is pretty remarkable and suggestive of how much the needle has moved.
Wow, didn't expect that. I guess I could support the Brew Crew now that they are an NL team.
And now all NBA playoff games have been postponed tonight.
Good on them.
If nothing else, it makes it harder for bigots to enjoy sports.
Their heads were exploding last night.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 9:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:50pm

Wow, didn't expect that. I guess I could support the Brew Crew now that they are an NL team.
Good on them.
Yes Id like to see this same thing happen in hockey and other major sports too. Im not a fan but those UFC matches draw huge numbers of viewers. Would love to see 2 of those fighters say fuck it we arent gonna fight

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 9:57am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Good on them.
Yes Id like to see this same thing happen in hockey and other major sports too. Im not a fan but those UFC matches draw huge numbers of viewers. Would love to see 2 of those fighters say fuck it we arent gonna fight
I heard (or read) more than one person say "I'm done with the Brewers/Bucks" last night. Fine. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. They apparently expect to be entertained by athletes of color, but they won't stand with athletes of color. The common trope is to say "why does everything need to be political" but really it's just their racism showing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 10:05am
revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 9:57am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Good on them.
I heard (or read) more than one person say "I'm done with the Brewers/Bucks" last night. Fine. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. They apparently expect to be entertained by athletes of color, but they won't stand with athletes of color. The common trope is to say "why does everything need to be political" but really it's just their racism showing.
Yeah and its the same with musical artists. I had this discussion with my daughter because she is currently living in a conservative white suburban dystopia of blue lives matter types. All these people love the music from African American artists but get all upset when their music or actions turn political in some way. She grew up in VT which is overwhelming white but not overwhelming asshole so its been a difficult adjustment for her.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

While it's too soon, of course, to see the effect of these efforts by athletes, the larger cultural effect, I hope, is kind of the equivalent of shaming. That is, make racists conscious that their teams do not share their values, that they can't rationalize it somehow, and that if they cheer for those teams they know that they're supporting people who think they're assholes. All forms of bigotry rely on being normalized and made unconscious, so that the people who call it out are the weirdos looking to stir up trouble. The aim is to make those people feel like the outcasts when they want to spout off, to understand that they are marginalized and will be shamed. Make them feel small and isolated, and that the only way to be accepted by the larger community is to embrace different values or stay quiet. Shame used to be an effective tactic for maintaining social order (in good ways and bad), but it's one that I fully support as an alternative to, say, violent intimidation or incarceration.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Someone in our community is trying to get a "Blue Lives Matter" rally going. Not sure of a proper response? Ignore it, or plan something to counter the message.

Flex

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 2:11pm
Someone in our community is trying to get a "Blue Lives Matter" rally going. Not sure of a proper response? Ignore it, or plan something to counter the message.
counter programming is good if you can get the numbers.

Side note, i saw a truck today at my grocery store with a blue lives matter american flag (i.e. black and white with the one blue line) but i also saw they had that was black and white with a single red line. what does that mean? I don't think I've seen that one before.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 2:53pm
WestwayKid wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 2:11pm
counter programming is good if you can get the numbers.

Side note, i saw a truck today at my grocery store with a blue lives matter american flag (i.e. black and white with the one blue line) but i also saw they had that was black and white with a single red line. what does that mean? I don't think I've seen that one before.
That's for firefighters. I don't think it has the same meaning as the blue one, more of a thing to honor fallen firefighters.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

William Felton Russell is a great American.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... -injustice

Flex

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:20pm
William Felton Russell is a great American.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... -injustice
great piece

Pex Lives!