No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:55pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:26pm

Yes in the US but it happens here in the UK in custody. The world over I expect. Yes the current death of George Floyd has at last got the world paying attention but sadly there have been many George Floyd's.
It is unlawful in UK to shoot someone for running away / escaping.
You can only shoot to protect your life or someone else’s.
The problem is, in the US, a cop just has to claim they believed they were in danger and they will almost always get by with zero repercussions, whether they were in danger or not.
I don’t get how they can argue that when a guy is running away or driving off in a car?
a combination of very powerful police unions and a populace who has been conditioned by entertainment media to trust the police implicitly. Oh, and racism. Lots of racism.
I understand that part unfortunately.
Would it be too simple to suggest that you can’t shoot someone for running away / driving away unless someone’s life is in immediate threat e.g. they are firing a gun!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:47pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:55pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:42pm

It is unlawful in UK to shoot someone for running away / escaping.
You can only shoot to protect your life or someone else’s.
The problem is, in the US, a cop just has to claim they believed they were in danger and they will almost always get by with zero repercussions, whether they were in danger or not.
I don’t get how they can argue that when a guy is running away or driving off in a car?
a combination of very powerful police unions and a populace who has been conditioned by entertainment media to trust the police implicitly. Oh, and racism. Lots of racism.
I understand that part unfortunately.
Would it be too simple to suggest that you can’t shoot someone for running away / driving away unless someone’s life is in immediate threat e.g. they are firing a gun!
Unfortunately they will argue they thought they heard a gun or saw a muzzle flash and that’s the ballgame.

Half the shit the police do now is against the rules but they do it anyway. They are not salvageable nor reformable in their current state.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolt is pretty much nailing it.

Police have been by default elevated to heroes for most white Americans and to even question that has been treasonous to some people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Add in the favourable bias if not outright corruption of district attorneys not pursuing charges against the police for certain criminal behaviour. Perhaps you can grant them some slack in knowing that they wouldn't able to convict, given the public's attitude toward cop-on-POC violence, but it smells more like an open cover-up. I remember during Ferguson, the DA engaged in tactics to *not* get a grand jury indictment that experienced court watchers found blatant.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 7:49pm
Add in the favourable bias if not outright corruption of district attorneys not pursuing charges against the police for certain criminal behaviour. Perhaps you can grant them some slack in knowing that they wouldn't able to convict, given the public's attitude toward cop-on-POC violence, but it smells more like an open cover-up. I remember during Ferguson, the DA engaged in tactics to *not* get a grand jury indictment that experienced court watchers found blatant.
I think it was you who pointed to 9/11 as a turning point and I tend to agree although there had been a ramping up before that, just think of the annual crime bills of the 90s. I think 9/11 allowed for the final stamp

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think it was you who pointed to 9/11 as a turning point and I tend to agree although there had been a ramping up before that, just think of the annual crime bills of the 90s. I think 9/11 allowed for the final stamp
I don't think it was me, but I agree. Yes, the War on Drugs gave police departments an interest in being aggressive, but 9/11 really encouraged police to act as military (with military gear) within the domestic sphere. There are sensible budgetary reasons for the police to act as gangs and exacting gang revenge on challengers.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 8:18pm
revbob wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't think it was me, but I agree. Yes, the War on Drugs gave police departments an interest in being aggressive, but 9/11 really encouraged police to act as military (with military gear) within the domestic sphere. There are sensible budgetary reasons for the police to act as gangs and exacting gang revenge on challengers.
Oh yeah War on Drugs

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 11:19pm
I mean, do you laugh or cry?

https://www.businessinsider.com/marco-r ... ker-2020-7
To his base, the worst part is even acknowledging either of them.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 6:07am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 11:19pm
I mean, do you laugh or cry?

https://www.businessinsider.com/marco-r ... ker-2020-7
To his base, the worst part is even acknowledging either of them.

But wait he's not the only one...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/us/m ... lewis.html

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

My mom just posted something from this group. I mean what the fuck: https://www.facebook.com/ExposeUrbanDoubleStandards/
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 11:47pm
My mom just posted something from this group. I mean what the fuck: https://www.facebook.com/ExposeUrbanDoubleStandards/
Yuck.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/2 ... -ad-384386

Georgia Democrat Jon Ossoff on Tuesday condemned a digital ad from his opponent, Republican Sen. David Perdue, that appeared to enlarge Ossoff's nose in a fundraising appeal, calling it anti-Semitic and saying Perdue should donate any funds raised from the since-revoked ad to groups promoting tolerance.

The ad, originally reported by the Forward, featured Ossoff's image next to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, both of whom are Jewish, and said Democrats are trying to "buy Georgia" with a link to raise funds for Perdue's campaign. Perdue's campaign said the ad was created by an outside vendor and the image was distorted because the photograph was resized and filtered. The campaign removed the ad from circulation.

I had no idea Photoshop now has a "Jewish Trope" filter.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

oliver wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 8:45am

Georgia Democrat Jon Ossoff on Tuesday condemned a digital ad from his opponent, Republican Sen. David Perdue, that appeared to enlarge Ossoff's nose in a fundraising appeal, calling it anti-Semitic and saying Perdue should donate any funds raised from the since-revoked ad to groups promoting tolerance.

The ad, originally reported by the Forward, featured Ossoff's image next to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, both of whom are Jewish, and said Democrats are trying to "buy Georgia" with a link to raise funds for Perdue's campaign. Perdue's campaign said the ad was created by an outside vendor and the image was distorted because the photograph was resized and filtered. The campaign removed the ad from circulation.

I think you just need to pay extra.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 8:45am

I wish I was a forensic designer.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc