No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 2:54pm
I wasn't to happy with her either, we need some new blood and there are quite a few good new faces out there, just got to get the old farts out of the way
Agreed.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
I wasn't to happy with her either, we need some new blood and there are quite a few good new faces out there, just got to get the old farts out of the way
That is always the hardest part trying to get rid of the established and politically privileged.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 2:42pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 1:32pm
coffeepotman wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 12:47pm
This is America
This is Trump's America...
Sadly the majority voted him in just like they did May here. So it's your America just as this is my stinking England. :disshame:
Oh goodness no. That’s not at all how our elections work. Majority rule is specifically to be avoided, per the astronomically rich white male landowners who wrote the rule book.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 3:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
This is America
Sadly the majority voted him in just like they did May here. So it's your America just as this is my stinking England. :disshame:
Oh goodness no. That’s not at all how our elections work. Majority rule is specifically to be avoided, per the astronomically rich white male landowners who wrote the rule book.
But he did win the majority of the white male vote, which is how the Founders would have wanted it. #originalism
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 3:31pm
coffeepotman wrote:
That is always the hardest part trying to get rid of the established and politically privileged.
They will hang on until the bitter end...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 4:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 3:31pm
coffeepotman wrote:
They will hang on until the bitter end...
Yep true. British politics has so many hanger-ons.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
This is America
He appeared to have given some of the disenfranchised and marginalised a voice. Then once in office he remarginalised and disenfranchised them further back than they ever were before by claiming he was building his wall on behalf of them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 5:58pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
This is America
He appeared to have given some of the disenfranchised and marginalised a voice. Then once in office he remarginalised and disenfranchised them further back than they ever were before by claiming he was building his wall on behalf of them.
He did a fantastic job of speaking to the disenfranchised voices of middle America. I think they were desperate for ANYONE to speak to them - to tell them they were going to be okay and he honed in on that and won them over. The very sad thing is that he never had any intention of actually helping them out. If they didn't believe Clinton because she was a member of the rich elite they deluded themselves into "forgetting" that Trump was a member of the same class and they didn't understand/realize that the rich elite have been using the marginalized to gain power for centuries. It is not a new con - but hope springs eternal and now those who put him in power are paying for their mistakes - even if many are still unable or unwilling to admit it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

He did a fantastic job of speaking to the disenfranchised voices of middle America. I think they were desperate for ANYONE to speak to them - to tell them they were going to be okay and he honed in on that and won them over. The very sad thing is that he never had any intention of actually helping them out. If they didn't believe Clinton because she was a member of the rich elite they deluded themselves into "forgetting" that Trump was a member of the same class and they didn't understand/realize that the rich elite have been using the marginalized to gain power for centuries. It is not a new con - but hope springs eternal and now those who put him in power are paying for their mistakes - even if many are still unable or unwilling to admit it.
Thatcher conned the working class here back in the 80's allowing some of them to step up the ladder by selling Council housing off cheaply thus leaving next to nothing for future generations. It's sickening really how low politicians will stoop to win votes. Killing off an entire generation(s) and all the time pretending to care and giving people something to believe in. Something they already had but couldn't see.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:21am
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Thatcher conned the working class here back in the 80's allowing some of them to step up the ladder by selling Council housing off cheaply thus leaving next to nothing for future generations. It's sickening really how low politicians will stoop to win votes. Killing off an entire generation(s) and all the time pretending to care and giving people something to believe in. Something they already had but couldn't see.
I just read an article about the big jump in farm foreclosures in the Midwest - places like Iowa, Minnesota and my home state of Wisconsin - places that went for Trump in 2016. It sounds like many farmers were hanging over the precipice and his trade policies/tariffs were the thing that kicked them over. I definitely do not take any joy from this. There is no "they got what they deserved" from me. I believe they are good, hard working people. They were sold a bill of goods by Trump: vote for me and I'll take care of you. He made promises that he never intended to keep. It's really sad. These farmers are going to lose everything. Trump could declare bankruptcy whenever he wanted to because he was rich enough to never truly feel any pain. I just hope those impacted by his policies will remember when they head to the polls in 2020 - and I hope the other side can provide them with a candidate who truly is better.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 10:22am
I just read an article about the big jump in farm foreclosures in the Midwest - places like Iowa, Minnesota and my home state of Wisconsin - places that went for Trump in 2016. It sounds like many farmers were hanging over the precipice and his trade policies/tariffs were the thing that kicked them over. I definitely do not take any joy from this. There is no "they got what they deserved" from me. I believe they are good, hard working people. They were sold a bill of goods by Trump: vote for me and I'll take care of you. He made promises that he never intended to keep. It's really sad. These farmers are going to lose everything. Trump could declare bankruptcy whenever he wanted to because he was rich enough to never truly feel any pain. I just hope those impacted by his policies will remember when they head to the polls in 2020 - and I hope the other side can provide them with a candidate who truly is better.
I'm originally from Saskatchewan, which is still predominantly an agricultural province, and I admit to having mixed emotions about farmers. When times are good, they go on about being a business and that government needs to get out of the way and let the market do its magic. When times are bad, then they're part of Canada's heritage, it's about family and tradition and noble toil, and government has an obligation to keep the family farm alive for future generations. I want to be sympathetic—hell, my dad grew up on a farm and several of his brothers farmed their entire lives—but they exhibit the same mentality of big business: privatize the profits, socialize the losses.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 11:03am
WestwayKid wrote:
I'm originally from Saskatchewan, which is still predominantly an agricultural province, and I admit to having mixed emotions about farmers. When times are good, they go on about being a business and that government needs to get out of the way and let the market do its magic. When times are bad, then they're part of Canada's heritage, it's about family and tradition and noble toil, and government has an obligation to keep the family farm alive for future generations. I want to be sympathetic—hell, my dad grew up on a farm and several of his brothers farmed their entire lives—but they exhibit the same mentality of big business: privatize the profits, socialize the losses.
Whilst I understand the above comment and I know nothing of Canadian farmers. I do feel sorry for the farmers here in the UK as the majority would not only lose their livelihood but their family homes as well. In a lot of these cases the home comes as a package with their work.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 12:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Whilst I understand the above comment and I know nothing of Canadian farmers. I do feel sorry for the farmers here in the UK as the majority would not only lose their livelihood but their family homes as well. In a lot of these cases the home comes as a package with their work.
Don't get me wrong, I hate the widespread loss of family farms to large corporations, where farmers become tenants with little say over what they do on the land, but it's that convenient shifting of identity or status that gets on my nerves, especially when the one is pursued as emotional manipulation.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Fair point

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
In NZ when farming prices are good you hear about the farmers propping up the economy buying new cars, holiday homes by the beach etc.. but as soon as there is a weather event (err hello) they are screaming for government handouts.
How about you pay back last winters hand out before you buy a new car.