No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 2:50pm
Mimi wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 8:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 2:37pm
Watching an episode of 1970s Match Game—aside: why do they keep trying to redo it? It will always fail because its charm came from the context of a bunch of minor celebrities revelling in post-sexual/drug awakening America and acting like it was one big key party—and it had a warning beforehand that says that it contains culturally and racially sensitive language. Which, yeah, it certainly does. It's still a bit jarring because of how that kind of frankness was at the forefront of public discussion. The stuff that All in the Family was celebrated for is now discomforting. That's not a criticism—I largely support the evolution of how we are increasingly treating language—but rather a reminder of how the past is a foreign country.
I loves me some Match Game and refuse to even look at a redo. Like you said, that kind of charm can't be created.
Speaking of, I'm watching right now and the head-to-head match offered the following: "Wife ______." The 1970s context played out perfectly, as the contestant said "Wife swapper." (Alas, Richard Dawson went with "Wife beater.")
That Richard. lol

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Don't know how much the revived residential school story has played outside of Canada, but I came across this today and thought it a decent intro to explaining why this system was a monstrous nightmare: https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/colum ... ool-trauma
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 6:13pm
Don't know how much the revived residential school story has played outside of Canada, but I came across this today and thought it a decent intro to explaining why this system was a monstrous nightmare: https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/colum ... ool-trauma
I read about this the other day. Straight up child murder is a bad look.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 12:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I read about this the other day. Straight up child murder is a bad look.
To say the least. It was a multi-generational policy of genocide that operated without any serious effort to cover it up because the public was already conditioned not to think of indigenous people as real human beings. The idea of genocide has become too closely tied to the Holocaust, so that people tend to think it requires gassing, mass executions, and the like, but this was no less a state policy of extermination, if not exclusively of body, certainly of culture and self-determination. I've argued that Canadian history is not that dissimilar than alternate histories where Germany won World War II and the Holocaust was never exposed. This stuff just didn't happen except to a bunch of phony historians, activists, and indigenous people, and those people are liars and troublemakers who hate Canada. I hope this is the start of a reckoning and atonement that this country requires.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I learned of residential schools about a decade ago when I watched the documentary 500 Nations. Up until that time, I had never heard of it. Putting Indigenous peoples on reservations was bad enough, but at least the family unit was still intact (to some extent). Stealing kids from their families, shipping them off thousands of miles away, stripping them of their identity and culture, and then to have to endure abuse on top of that is the most calculated form of erasure. These monsters knew exactly what they were doing. The trauma that these kids carried with them into adulthood is now a generational trauma that may never heal. I'm glad this is getting the attention it deserves.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 9:34am
I learned of residential schools about a decade ago when I watched the documentary 500 Nations. Up until that time, I had never heard of it. Putting Indigenous peoples on reservations was bad enough, but at least the family unit was still intact (to some extent). Stealing kids from their families, shipping them off thousands of miles away, stripping them of their identity and culture, and then to have to endure abuse on top of that is the most calculated form of erasure. These monsters knew exactly what they were doing. The trauma that these kids carried with them into adulthood is now a generational trauma that may never heal. I'm glad this is getting the attention it deserves.
Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I never heard a peep about it in school. And it got only a passing mention in a Canadian history survey course I took in '89 or so. Really, it was my relationship with the Boss that began my education on these things. That's one of the unsettling things as someone from a demographic who benefited from Canada's race policy—it was both open and hidden. There was no effort to cover it up because there was no inclination to expose it. The whole "could it happen here?" re. the Holocaust or Communist slaughters—it did happen, all across Canada for decades and decades, and most never knew it was happening. And those in charge (govt) and its agents (the church) saw it all as beneficial—get civilized or get to the graveyard. As difficult as it is having this issue pushed to fore, it's so important that we can no longer ignore it as a past abstraction.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 10:40am
Mimi wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 9:34am
Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I never heard a peep about it in school. And it got only a passing mention in a Canadian history survey course I took in '89 or so. Really, it was my relationship with the Boss that began my education on these things. That's one of the unsettling things as someone from a demographic who benefited from Canada's race policy—it was both open and hidden. There was no effort to cover it up because there was no inclination to expose it. The whole "could it happen here?" re. the Holocaust or Communist slaughters—it did happen, all across Canada for decades and decades, and most never knew it was happening. And those in charge (govt) and its agents (the church) saw it all as beneficial—get civilized or get to the graveyard. As difficult as it is having this issue pushed to fore, it's so important that we can no longer ignore it as a past abstraction.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 10:49pm
Saskatoon, no less.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bouncing off a wholly unrelated conversation with the Boss about ignorance, a very old childhood memory surfaced. A kid I was friends with and was pretty athletic believed that black people were naturally athletic because they had an extra muscle in their calf. I'm curious whether this, um, theory circulated beyond my dumbass town.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 8:31pm
Bouncing off a wholly unrelated conversation with the Boss about ignorance, a very old childhood memory surfaced. A kid I was friends with and was pretty athletic believed that black people were naturally athletic because they had an extra muscle in their calf. I'm curious whether this, um, theory circulated beyond my dumbass town.
Isn't that basically what Jimmy the Greek said that got him (rightfully) into so much trouble?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 11:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Isn't that basically what Jimmy the Greek said that got him (rightfully) into so much trouble?
No, JtG was talking about, in essence, selective breeding—the fittest pairing off to produce more above average fit kids. This guy was claiming that black people were physiologically different, that they were born with more muscles than other human beings.

edit: A few months ago, on a sibling Zoom, two of my sisters and brother-in-laws, who live close to each other in Saskatchewan and regularly golf and curl together, put forth a theory that indigenous people are really good golfers because of skills developed over millennia as hunters—superior hand-eye coordination. I'm listening with an "oh good lord" sense bubbling, as other siblings were nodding along, and then they asked me what I thought. They prefaced it by saying their kids think they're being racist. I gently suggested that they consider how many First Nations people they've encountered playing golf compared to the total number there are, and to ask if they've unconsciously ignored those they've met who aren't very good golfers. In essence, inventing an elaborate general explanation from a very small sample size. I figured that was better than simply saying, yeah, that kind of essentialism is racist. Ah, the seduction of the big explanation.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 11:37am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No, JtG was talking about, in essence, selective breeding—the fittest pairing off to produce more above average fit kids. This guy was claiming that black people were physiologically different, that they were born with more muscles than other human beings.

edit: A few months ago, on a sibling Zoom, two of my sisters and brother-in-laws, who live close to each other in Saskatchewan and regularly golf and curl together, put forth a theory that indigenous people are really good golfers because of skills developed over millennia as hunters—superior hand-eye coordination. I'm listening with an "oh good lord" sense bubbling, as other siblings were nodding along, and then they asked me what I thought. They prefaced it by saying their kids think they're being racist. I gently suggested that they consider how many First Nations people they've encountered playing golf compared to the total number there are, and to ask if they've unconsciously ignored those they've met who aren't very good golfers. In essence, inventing an elaborate general explanation from a very small sample size. I figured that was better than simply saying, yeah, that kind of essentialism is racist. Ah, the seduction of the big explanation.
So is that how they rationalize losing to an indigenous person?

As for the extra muscle thing, yeah Ive hear that somewhere.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 11:37am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well almost everybody knows Canadians shred at hockey, it's in their blood from birth, right? :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung