No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 11:38am
Met my new neighbour today, passed the time of day with him, had a little chat. Music came up and he told me he was an Al Jolson impersonator. Great, that sounds amazing - I'd love to see it one day, I said - fascinated by the idea that the fella 18cm away might be doing blackface in his spare time and not ready to find out. When I find out, you will.
Small town life, in England or Canada. Which isn't to say that kind of racism doesn't exist in cities, but holy hell is it more naturalized in rural areas.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
Met my new neighbour today, passed the time of day with him, had a little chat. Music came up and he told me he was an Al Jolson impersonator. Great, that sounds amazing - I'd love to see it one day, I said - fascinated by the idea that the fella 18cm away might be doing blackface in his spare time and not ready to find out. When I find out, you will.
There's a fucking market for this?

Also neighbors are a bit like family, in the sense you get who you get.

All this sort of reminds me when my son did a "English Soccer Camp". I went to pick him up one day and they had some kind of cowboys and Indians game going on with the kids.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 12:02pm
Silent Majority wrote:
That was my question. How old is this guy?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 4:26pm
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Apparently it is a thing.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 10:02am
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

James is this your neighbor?

Who is the audience for this shit? What kind of business puts on shows like this? Do they advertise for it or is it some kind of underground thing?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 10:14am
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Who is the audience for this shit? What kind of business puts on shows like this? Do they advertise for it or is it some kind of underground thing?
It's very popular amongst Canada's young elites.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Any time I hear the name “Al Jolson”, I’m reminded of this scene from Seinfeld with Kramer and Newman trying to sell old records.

“Al Jolson? What the hell do I care about Al Jolson? I’d just as soon hear you sing Mammy.”

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 10:14am
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Probably popular at retirement communities...but not sure where else. Even hearing the guy do Mammie without blackface is brutal.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

"Where do you perform, cemeteries?" is what I might have asked.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Jon Gruden out as Raiders head coach after his racist comments from a few years ago. Good. Buh-bye.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 11:01am
Any time I hear the name “Al Jolson”, I’m reminded of this scene from Seinfeld with Kramer and Newman trying to sell old records.

“Al Jolson? What the hell do I care about Al Jolson? I’d just as soon hear you sing Mammy.”

I was at the local used record shop today, digging through the $1/$2 bins and came across at least 5 Al Jolson records. Every time I did, I thought about this post/clip!!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

He sent me a video of him performing - no blackface, happily. Wasn't the dude above, either.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 7:46am
He sent me a video of him performing - no blackface, happily. Wasn't the dude above, either.
It was unconventional Al Jolson. Like, Al Jolson at home, reading the paper, tweezing nose hairs, tapping the barometer, asking his wife if there was any grape juice left ("not the purple stuff, the other kind").

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 9:50pm
Jon Gruden out as Raiders head coach after his racist comments from a few years ago. Good. Buh-bye.
Yeah fuck him. Unfortunately he's already made his millions.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 7:46am
Sounds like you have an important note for him on how to bring his performance to the next level.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!