No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:41pm
matedog wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 3:34pm
Essay on the creation of whiteness and race more generally: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/a ... erous-idea
Took me awhile to get through, but that was a good read. Unfortunately, I don't see a good way to move beyond the hundreds of years of pseudo-science. I find the genetic comparisons to be a compelling argument (ie lack of genetic differences).
It's a very long game. It won't happen in our lifetime, but if narratives of race can achieve truth over time, they can also be discredited over time. If it's any comfort, a number of precepts of racism—biological racism—have taken major hits since the 1950s. When racism is justified or rationalized, it's now something more akin to culture than biology. Which does demonstrate that these ideas are fluid and can be overcome.
I wonder if 23andme and Ancestry are helping dispel the myth of racial purity. I found out I was 0.6% sub-Saharan African for example. So yeah, I'm not going to go around saying the N word, but it goes to show that even the whitest of whites (ie me) isn't "pure."
I hope it has that effect, while traumatizing a few barrels of bigots along the way. Those ads always show people so happy to find out their genetic ancestry. C'mon, I wanna see the bigot who finds out he's got a lot of Middle Eastern peoples swimming in his DNA and he breaks down sobbing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Cancel culture, snowflakes, critical race theory, cultural Marxism … MAGA!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 8:27am
Cutting the mic on one of their own.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 9:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For all the "respect the troops" blather, the right has no problem silencing or demonizing their own when it comes to politics. Then "thank you for your service" becomes "you lied about your record" and "traitor." When it was revealed that Trump called people in the military a bunch of suckers for risking their lives, his deviance was in saying the quiet part loud, not his contempt for sacrifice.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

At my daughter's softball game last night and a parent on the other team shows up in a minivan with a bumper sticker that says: "Paid for with my White Privilage Card"...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 9:12am
revbob wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 9:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For all the "respect the troops" blather, the right has no problem silencing or demonizing their own when it comes to politics. Then "thank you for your service" becomes "you lied about your record" and "traitor." When it was revealed that Trump called people in the military a bunch of suckers for risking their lives, his deviance was in saying the quiet part loud, not his contempt for sacrifice.
Yeah because most of the military is made up of people from poorer backgrounds. They join as a means to an end and certainly some sense of duty as well but they arent connected people for the most part, its a way to learn trades/skills/education and/or money for further education afterwards as well as a means to provide for families.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 10:58am
At my daughter's softball game last night and a parent on the other team shows up in a minivan with a bumper sticker that says: "Paid for with my White Privilage Card"...
D-bag.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Yeah because most of the military is made up of people from poorer backgrounds. They join as a means to an end and certainly some sense of duty as well but they arent connected people for the most part, its a way to learn trades/skills/education and/or money for further education afterwards as well as a means to provide for families.
WWII changed my dad's life. Grew up poor on a farm in Saskatchewan during the Depression. The army taught him a trade—electrical work—which he turned into eventually owning his own electrical contracting business. He was a classic Red Tory—conservative (meaning modest and self-reliant) but saw a positive role for government to help people who wanted to succeed. His life, to him, proved the philosophy (that he didn't realize being white and, despite being second-gen Norwegian, identifying with the Scottish-English norms of the nation gave him a huge advantage was his huge blind spot). My brother-in-law made a career of the military. Similarly poorish family, not especially academically motivated, but rose to lt-col and provided him with incredible organizational skills. Despite being a pacifist, I have no quarrels with people who join the military. They're doing what they think is right, for themselves and for their country. It's terrible when they're ground up by the experience and if they lose their sense of common humanity, but, well, that can happen with most any job to one degree or another.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
At least he had the decency to announce that he's not someone you want to be around.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 11:20am
revbob wrote:
WWII changed my dad's life. Grew up poor on a farm in Saskatchewan during the Depression. The army taught him a trade—electrical work—which he turned into eventually owning his own electrical contracting business. He was a classic Red Tory—conservative (meaning modest and self-reliant) but saw a positive role for government to help people who wanted to succeed. His life, to him, proved the philosophy (that he didn't realize being white and, despite being second-gen Norwegian, identifying with the Scottish-English norms of the nation gave him a huge advantage was his huge blind spot). My brother-in-law made a career of the military. Similarly poorish family, not especially academically motivated, but rose to lt-col and provided him with incredible organizational skills. Despite being a pacifist, I have no quarrels with people who join the military. They're doing what they think is right, for themselves and for their country. It's terrible when they're ground up by the experience and if they lose their sense of common humanity, but, well, that can happen with most any job to one degree or another.
With the draft gone, I see it as a job choice. Consequently, I don't believe in superficially lionizing the troops as we tend to do in this country.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Drove an hour south to a couple trout streams yesterday to do a bit of fly fishing for the first time in years. Beautiful day. As I was leaving the last stream around 6pm to head home, I got in a conversation with a guy in the parking lot. Overweight older guy in camo who was sitting in his car with the door open. We talked about a few western New York fishing holes we were both familiar with. Seemed a nice enough guy, looked like Grizzly Adams, but it was tough to extract myself from the conversation. Every time I queued up a “Welp, think I’ll hit the road, nice talking to you” he seemed to sense it and started telling another fishing story. He seemed lonely and desperate for conversation.

At one point he started telling me about a 50lb carp he had caught many years ago. He mentioned the huge lips on the fish, and then wondered aloud if it was a black carp, ya know, cuz of the lips. For crying out loud, why would you take a conversation with a complete stranger in that direction? I shook my head and did a wtf half-chuckle, not knowing how else to react. I’m sure he misinterpreted my reaction - I guess he figured all of us whiteys were in on the joke. He then told me about being chased by 4 or 5 black guys on his bicycle, hitting a curb, and smashing his head and nuts. He thought he was going to get his ass kicked, but when he looked back the black guys were gone. He couldn’t remember what he had done to get chased. At that point I just said “Welp, gotta head out, take it easy” and left. He was not a particularly bright bulb.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 2:05pm
Drove an hour south to a couple trout streams yesterday to do a bit of fly fishing for the first time in years. Beautiful day. As I was leaving the last stream around 6pm to head home, I got in a conversation with a guy in the parking lot. Overweight older guy in camo who was sitting in his car with the door open. We talked about a few western New York fishing holes we were both familiar with. Seemed a nice enough guy, looked like Grizzly Adams, but it was tough to extract myself from the conversation. Every time I queued up a “Welp, think I’ll hit the road, nice talking to you” he seemed to sense it and started telling another fishing story. He seemed lonely and desperate for conversation.

At one point he started telling me about a 50lb carp he had caught many years ago. He mentioned the huge lips on the fish, and then wondered aloud if it was a black carp, ya know, cuz of the lips. For crying out loud, why would you take a conversation with a complete stranger in that direction? I shook my head and did a wtf half-chuckle, not knowing how else to react. I’m sure he misinterpreted my reaction - I guess he figured all of us whiteys were in on the joke. He then told me about being chased by 4 or 5 black guys on his bicycle, hitting a curb, and smashing his head and nuts. He thought he was going to get his ass kicked, but when he looked back the black guys were gone. He couldn’t remember what he had done to get chased. At that point I just said “Welp, gotta head out, take it easy” and left. He was not a particularly bright bulb.
MAGA hat in the back window or passenger seat by chance?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 3:02pm
MAGA hat in the back window or passenger seat by chance?
I didn't see one, but definitely got that vibe.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 2:05pm
For crying out loud, why would you take a conversation with a complete stranger in that direction?
Bigots tend to have a weird compulsion to not hide their views, especially with strangers, because they also believing in "telling it like it is." Nuance and discretion is for losers.