No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

This actually aired on TV here in the Bay Area today...

[youtube][/youtube]

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/ktvu-apol ... ort/nYpSg/

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130712.html

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

USA! USA! USA!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Let this be a lesson to black people: Stop walking around and being scary.

Meanwhile, fourteen months ago: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... ing-shots/
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I had a look at Anderson Cooper's interview with one of the Martin/Zimmerman jurors — what a fucking idiot. From the twitter feed:
"I don't want people to think that we didn't think about this because we did, we're very sad that it happened to him."
"I would say I'm terribly sorry for your loss. It's a tragedy." - #JurorB37's message to Trayvon's parents
"He could've avoided the whole situation by staying in the car. But he wanted to do good."
"I think he had good in his heart, he just went overboard."
"When the end came the end ... He was justified in shooting Trayvon Martin."
EDIT: More from thinkprogress.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

This one goes down in the annals of incompetently prosecuted cases. For one, how in the fuck do they just say "Yeah, sure. OK." at the jury selection and not contest the makeup, get better representation from the alternates pool? Not one dude on the jury. Only 1 minority on a case race-baited into oblivion before it ever went to court? Contest the jury selection, you fuckers! Basic Law & Order 101.

Second, if they weren't absolutely sure they could nail with that prosecution for murder...manslaughter has to go on the table. Because you don't want to fucking lose this thing and end up setting precedent for the Stand Your Ground law which OopsExceptIJustDid! They didn't put manslaughter on the table until the last day of trial when they already knew they fucked it all up to hell, and needed a deus-ex-machina to save their worthless asses. And then the jury instructions about the lesser charge were so incomprehensibly written they were gibberish (no really, try to read this autistic Klingon assemblage of ASCII characters: http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Rel ... ctions.pdf. Now remind yourself that the purpose of jury instructions is to convey in layman's words something a slack-jawed, jorts-wearing, Bon-Bon eating juror simpleton has to understand. This failed so badly it required the additional clarification after 10 hours of the jurors quinting at it, and never stood a chance of being seriously considered...because it was utter gibberish! If the murder charge was taking on water and that pooch was screwed, they should've put manslaughter on the table way earlier than they did. Or better yet...led from the safe defensive position so an unfavorable result doesn't open a pandora's box of precedent. They would've gotten a conviction with it or a quick plea. But noooo...nobody gets famous without taking a scalp and making Nancy Grace jizz the studio underwater. If they hadn't had their heads up their next promotion, there wouldn't be this utter unredeemable travesty of justice on our hands that--ohbytheway!--ends up implicitly upholding of every JesusRand, ALEC-penned SYG law in the land. Take a bow!

Third, they walked straight into the defense bear trap and let the whole damn thing get defined by the victim, and the he-said/she-said of the stuggle with only one viewpoint represented. Which is only the ABSOLUTE WORST POSSIBLE THING you can do in a trial sitting on a racial hair-trigger that's already been race-baited to the hilt in a part of a state that has a not-too-good history of handling these hot potatoes. And the most senseless part of that bit of rank incompetence?...it's not AT ALL relevant compared to this: http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/ ... -have.html. Zimmerman would NOT have gotten off with slap on the wrist or probation with manslaughter given that he had priors and a long, documented history with the police of being a racist asshole. He would have done some amount of hard time.

And where the trial actually went astray had nothing to do with this hard fact: that Zimmerman's 'intent to start some shit' happened the second the exasperated cops told him "STAY THE FUCK IN THE CAR" and he immediately got out of the fucking car. That's what this case should've rested on. Whether Martin (please, casually racist media and jurors, stop patronizing him by only calling him "Trayvon" / codeword-for-"Boy" while Zimmerman gets called by his proper name) overpowered him in the he-said/she-didn't-say accounting of the struggle doesn't matter. Whether Martin was threatening face-to-face and liable to force a life-or-death defensive struggle doesn't matter. Because this asshole couldn't have determined that from the distance he was at in his car...AND HE WILLINGLY EMBARKED TO START SHIT THE SECOND HE BLEW OFF AN ORDER FROM THE COPS TO STAY IN THE FUCKING CAR. If that only nets an involuntary manslaughter charge...who the fuck cares? Nobody would be dead were it not for that deliberate decision on his part. And nobody would be dead were it not for this wannabe-cop vigilante hothead with his own criminal record, lengthy history of being a royal PITA to local cops who have to keep talking him out of fucking things up for them, and damning rap sheet (if Florida law and Central Fla. authorities actually cared about cracking down on this) of outright racial profiling while being a vigilante PITA spamming local police with nuisance calls. And he would be in jail without a reduced sentence because he has priors and is a police-documented violent racist asshole. Jail. That's justice. A goodly dose of justice. It may not satisfy all appetites for vengeance but...hey, could be worse. Oh wait...IT IS THE WORST POSSIBLE THING!

But, no...somebody had visions of running for state Attorney General or something, so prosecution's gonna swing for the fences on a wing and a prayer instead of getting him dead to rights on the root premeditated decision that set the night's events into motion. They wanted the "satisfying" result, not the "correct" result rooted in the law and the crime. The prosecutors are no better than any of the other racist shitheads appropriating this to their own means. Not only did their appropriating this to their own means failed, but it served it up on a platter for all the white rage in this country yearning to legitimize itself.

And...the gun??? These wastes of prosecutorial brain cells not only flub it and inadvertently uphold SYG, but fail to set any precedent for the gun debate. This dude has infractions on his record that should've REMOVED the gun from his legal possession altogether and removed all chance of him going vigilante and legally being protected by SYG. Lax Florida law failed to weed that out. This would've been precedent that sucky gun law sucks and needs to be strengthened. Instead we get the worst of both worlds with lax gun regs not even being part of the conversation, sucky SYG law that sucks getting a big wet kiss, and this asshole gets his fucking murder weapon back to add exclamation point to injury.

This was such a clusterfuck they prosecuted the wrong case. And I do believe the jury didn't have a lot of options but to reject the prosecution, especially when that gobbledygook dog-ate-homework "Oops, our bad" manslaughter instructions got written in crayon on a cocktail napkin last week. And B37 is a horrible person who thinks horrible things. And I have little doubt some other juror is also going to be a horrible person who thinks horrible things when it's their turn to attention-whore for CNN. But I'm not sure they had much to work with trying to convict when the prosecution laid out a borderline irrelevant prosection. I do think the Justice Dept. investigating this is a correct move, because it was just that much of an abomination. Although I have zero confidence that Holder is going to do jack shit at investigating the actual jurisprudence or perversion-of here and is only interested in furrowing brows for talking points underscoring and blah blah blah.

Basically, everyone is horrible. And things are horrible. And this country is horrible.

. . .

HORRIBLE!

[/rant] :curses1:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

On a lighter note: Americans are stupid racist idiots.

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:On a lighter note: Americans are stupid racist idiots.

Sometimes the Internet makes me want to build a cabin in the middle of nowhere and have no contact with any humans ever again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I'm sure some of that is trolling, but a good amount has to be legit.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Oh, for fuck's sake, Marc Anthony is Puerto Rican, not Mexican. He's an American citizen. The only reason he should be banned from singing at a ballgame is because he sucks, not because of his ethnicity.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

JennyB wrote:

Oh, for fuck's sake, Marc Anthony is Puerto Rican, not Mexican. He's an American citizen. The only reason he should be banned from singing at a ballgame is because he sucks, not because of his ethnicity.
The whole 'Puerto Ricans are real-deal dual citizens' explanation might as well be an advanced course in quantum physics to anyone who is not a Puerto Rican dual citizen. The only possible response is "But, but!. . ."

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Rat Patrol wrote:
JennyB wrote:Oh, for fuck's sake, Marc Anthony is Puerto Rican, not Mexican. He's an American citizen. The only reason he should be banned from singing at a ballgame is because he sucks, not because of his ethnicity.
The whole 'Puerto Ricans are real-deal dual citizens' explanation might as well be an advanced course in quantum physics to anyone who is not a Puerto Rican dual citizen. The only possible response is "But, but!. . ."
It's not even as "complicated" as all that: dude was born in NYC, he's just of Puerto Rican decent. So, he's about as American as you can get.*

*Without being white, I mean. Which is to say: nice try, Paco.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I think it was Hoy who mentioned some time ago a co-worker or acquaintance who used the term "illegal" to refer to anyone of Hispanic descent. That pretty much captures how xenophobic and nativist things have gotten on the right—if you're Latino of any kind, you don't belong.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I think it was Hoy who mentioned some time ago a co-worker or acquaintance who used the term "illegal" to refer to anyone of Hispanic descent. That pretty much captures how xenophobic and nativist things have gotten on the right—if you're Latino of any kind, you don't belong.
Not sure if that was me, it doesn't really ring a bell specifically, but I am aware of the general notion.

BTW, Marc Anthony is American because he was in Hackers.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yeah, the Tea Party is just about small government and civil liberties. Not at all about promoting every bigoted stereotype about black people.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 30217.html

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Yeah, the Tea Party is just about small government and civil liberties. Not at all about promoting every bigoted stereotype about black people.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 30217.html
I have a dream that blacks will continue to do amazing dunks and be good rappers.