No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Some fifty years after the civil rights movement, folks!
https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/s ... e-worn-bl/
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2019/09/12 ... candidate/

What a world we live in where a candidate is turfed for suggesting his party leader should denounce racism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/sandra_ ... g_from_snl

Disappointing but not surprising to see where so many white, male comedians fall on this issue. These guys think of themselves as libertarian, but come off more as nihilistic. Who cares about reinforcing bigotry, especially in a tinderbox environment, the real victim is an asshole who doesn't get to be on tv.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 2:42pm

Disappointing but not surprising to see where so many white, male comedians fall on this issue. These guys think of themselves as libertarian, but come off more as nihilistic. Who cares about reinforcing bigotry, especially in a tinderbox environment, the real victim is an asshole who doesn't get to be on tv.
Norm is my #1 example of a famous person I really, really wish I knew nothing of their personal views.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 2:42pm

Norm is my #1 example of a famous person I really, really wish I knew nothing of their personal views.
However, your lust for more on Rob Schneider's views can never be extinguished!

But, yeah, Norm is a baffling mix of comedic genius and political and intellectual imbecility (strange, too, that his brother is a pretty sharp political reporter for CBC; guess it doesn't spread throughout the family). The best I can say is that he belies the idea that conservatives are never funny.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

What do we all think of Bill Burr? I have a lot of people in my life who love him, but I don't think he's funny and I also think he's one bad day away from calling somebody a snowflake, if he hasn't already.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:13pm
What do we all think of Bill Burr? I have a lot of people in my life who love him, but I don't think he's funny and I also think he's one bad day away from calling somebody a snowflake, if he hasn't already.
Several people have recommended him to me, but he's never caught my ear.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
I like him. He’s got a bit of Carlin in him. I think he’s a very equal opportunity off-color guy. He picks on everyone which I like. We watched the new Netflix stand up show last night and both laughed quite a bit.
Attachments
4F9BFE29-4CD1-4213-A0E9-8E58D2361E77.jpeg

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
I’m in this boat. I feel like he’s a stiff breeze away from making a special called “Triggered” that goes full maga. Again, if he hasn’t already.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 11:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
I like him. He’s got a bit of Carlin in him. I think he’s a very equal opportunity off-color guy. He picks on everyone which I like. We watched the new Netflix stand up show last night and both laughed quite a bit.
Haha I like him.
Had to go to a full on Catholic funeral last Friday in Mrs W home town.
On way to the funeral I pointed out to the kids a small waterfall on the side of the road where someone once saw the Virgin Mary and why people leave flowers there to this day. 50.5W responded with “wait who was the Virgin Mary again” 😂
We went to the Roserry the night before the funeral, it was f’ing weird!!! 25.25W came out and said “well that was very cultish”. He wasn’t wrong.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

"I am a rich whitey" and "I am a super rich Whitey" would've worked much better. :rolleyes:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

My community has an issue with race. This does not make us unique (sadly). It has been a particular issue in our schools: racial slurs, racist graffiti, and so on. The administration (school and district level) has been slow to respond. The community is mostly white, but an increasing number of people of color have been moving in and this obviously rubs many people the wrong way.

There was a parent group formed in the wake of particularly ugly incident in September 2018. I joined earlier this year and have gotten increasingly involved. Our main accomplishment has been working with the district and the community to create an action plan to address issues of equity and racism in our schools and our community.

It's been tough, however. The school district has had "let's wait it out and hopefully it will go away" attitude. They have been consistently reactive instead of proactive. The superintendent, who was a co-chair of the steering committee that drafted the plan, didn't even attend the meeting 2-weeks ago where it was presented to the public. He was in China on a district trip, but had neglected to tell anyone he wasn't going to be in town. We found out because someone got an "out of office" reply.

He resigned last night. The cause given was that he was caught using his district credit card to make personal purchases.

It's just been a real journey into white privilege and white fragility. They're both very strong forces in America and huge roadblocks to change.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 12:32pm
My community has an issue with race. This does not make us unique (sadly). It has been a particular issue in our schools: racial slurs, racist graffiti, and so on. The administration (school and district level) has been slow to respond. The community is mostly white, but an increasing number of people of color have been moving in and this obviously rubs many people the wrong way.

There was a parent group formed in the wake of particularly ugly incident in September 2018. I joined earlier this year and have gotten increasingly involved. Our main accomplishment has been working with the district and the community to create an action plan to address issues of equity and racism in our schools and our community.

It's been tough, however. The school district has had "let's wait it out and hopefully it will go away" attitude. They have been consistently reactive instead of proactive. The superintendent, who was a co-chair of the steering committee that drafted the plan, didn't even attend the meeting 2-weeks ago where it was presented to the public. He was in China on a district trip, but had neglected to tell anyone he wasn't going to be in town. We found out because someone got an "out of office" reply.

He resigned last night. The cause given was that he was caught using his district credit card to make personal purchases.

It's just been a real journey into white privilege and white fragility. They're both very strong forces in America and huge roadblocks to change.
China with all them foreigners what a traitor! Seriously good on you mate and stick with it even if you manage to make a few think a little more then it's a worthy cause.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 12:32pm

I chatted a tiny bit about this with Maj in our last podcast, but I think getting involved at the school-level is so critical for the real groundwork that needs to be done in this country. Right wingers figured that out years ago and the Left has been kind of slow to catch on- good on you for taking a stand and doing the grunt work.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!