No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:55pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:26pm


Yes in the US but it happens here in the UK in custody. The world over I expect. Yes the current death of George Floyd has at last got the world paying attention but sadly there have been many George Floyd's.
It is unlawful in UK to shoot someone for running away / escaping.
You can only shoot to protect your life or someone else’s.
The problem is, in the US, a cop just has to claim they believed they were in danger and they will almost always get by with zero repercussions, whether they were in danger or not.
I don’t get how they can argue that when a guy is running away or driving off in a car?
a combination of very powerful police unions and a populace who has been conditioned by entertainment media to trust the police implicitly. Oh, and racism. Lots of racism.
I understand that part unfortunately.
Would it be too simple to suggest that you can’t shoot someone for running away / driving away unless someone’s life is in immediate threat e.g. they are firing a gun!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks
Posts: 54965
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:47pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 6:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:55pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 5:42pm


It is unlawful in UK to shoot someone for running away / escaping.
You can only shoot to protect your life or someone else’s.
The problem is, in the US, a cop just has to claim they believed they were in danger and they will almost always get by with zero repercussions, whether they were in danger or not.
I don’t get how they can argue that when a guy is running away or driving off in a car?
a combination of very powerful police unions and a populace who has been conditioned by entertainment media to trust the police implicitly. Oh, and racism. Lots of racism.
I understand that part unfortunately.
Would it be too simple to suggest that you can’t shoot someone for running away / driving away unless someone’s life is in immediate threat e.g. they are firing a gun!
Unfortunately they will argue they thought they heard a gun or saw a muzzle flash and that’s the ballgame.

Half the shit the police do now is against the rules but they do it anyway. They are not salvageable nor reformable in their current state.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 16428
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by revbob »

Wolt is pretty much nailing it.

Police have been by default elevated to heroes for most white Americans and to even question that has been treasonous to some people.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Add in the favourable bias if not outright corruption of district attorneys not pursuing charges against the police for certain criminal behaviour. Perhaps you can grant them some slack in knowing that they wouldn't able to convict, given the public's attitude toward cop-on-POC violence, but it smells more like an open cover-up. I remember during Ferguson, the DA engaged in tactics to *not* get a grand jury indictment that experienced court watchers found blatant.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 16428
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 7:49pm
Add in the favourable bias if not outright corruption of district attorneys not pursuing charges against the police for certain criminal behaviour. Perhaps you can grant them some slack in knowing that they wouldn't able to convict, given the public's attitude toward cop-on-POC violence, but it smells more like an open cover-up. I remember during Ferguson, the DA engaged in tactics to *not* get a grand jury indictment that experienced court watchers found blatant.
I think it was you who pointed to 9/11 as a turning point and I tend to agree although there had been a ramping up before that, just think of the annual crime bills of the 90s. I think 9/11 allowed for the final stamp

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 7:49pm
Add in the favourable bias if not outright corruption of district attorneys not pursuing charges against the police for certain criminal behaviour. Perhaps you can grant them some slack in knowing that they wouldn't able to convict, given the public's attitude toward cop-on-POC violence, but it smells more like an open cover-up. I remember during Ferguson, the DA engaged in tactics to *not* get a grand jury indictment that experienced court watchers found blatant.
I think it was you who pointed to 9/11 as a turning point and I tend to agree although there had been a ramping up before that, just think of the annual crime bills of the 90s. I think 9/11 allowed for the final stamp
I don't think it was me, but I agree. Yes, the War on Drugs gave police departments an interest in being aggressive, but 9/11 really encouraged police to act as military (with military gear) within the domestic sphere. There are sensible budgetary reasons for the police to act as gangs and exacting gang revenge on challengers.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 16428
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 8:18pm
revbob wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 7:49pm
Add in the favourable bias if not outright corruption of district attorneys not pursuing charges against the police for certain criminal behaviour. Perhaps you can grant them some slack in knowing that they wouldn't able to convict, given the public's attitude toward cop-on-POC violence, but it smells more like an open cover-up. I remember during Ferguson, the DA engaged in tactics to *not* get a grand jury indictment that experienced court watchers found blatant.
I think it was you who pointed to 9/11 as a turning point and I tend to agree although there had been a ramping up before that, just think of the annual crime bills of the 90s. I think 9/11 allowed for the final stamp
I don't think it was me, but I agree. Yes, the War on Drugs gave police departments an interest in being aggressive, but 9/11 really encouraged police to act as military (with military gear) within the domestic sphere. There are sensible budgetary reasons for the police to act as gangs and exacting gang revenge on challengers.
Oh yeah War on Drugs

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 11144
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 95794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 11:19pm
I mean, do you laugh or cry?

https://www.businessinsider.com/marco-r ... ker-2020-7
To his base, the worst part is even acknowledging either of them.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 16428
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 6:07am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 11:19pm
I mean, do you laugh or cry?

https://www.businessinsider.com/marco-r ... ker-2020-7
To his base, the worst part is even acknowledging either of them.

But wait he's not the only one...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/us/m ... lewis.html

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13886
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Kory »

My mom just posted something from this group. I mean what the fuck: https://www.facebook.com/ExposeUrbanDoubleStandards/
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4851
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 11:47pm
My mom just posted something from this group. I mean what the fuck: https://www.facebook.com/ExposeUrbanDoubleStandards/
Yuck.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Rock on George, one time for Ringo." - Ringo Starr

oliver
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 933
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by oliver »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/2 ... -ad-384386

Georgia Democrat Jon Ossoff on Tuesday condemned a digital ad from his opponent, Republican Sen. David Perdue, that appeared to enlarge Ossoff's nose in a fundraising appeal, calling it anti-Semitic and saying Perdue should donate any funds raised from the since-revoked ad to groups promoting tolerance.

The ad, originally reported by the Forward, featured Ossoff's image next to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, both of whom are Jewish, and said Democrats are trying to "buy Georgia" with a link to raise funds for Perdue's campaign. Perdue's campaign said the ad was created by an outside vendor and the image was distorted because the photograph was resized and filtered. The campaign removed the ad from circulation.



I had no idea Photoshop now has a "Jewish Trope" filter.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 16428
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by revbob »

oliver wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 8:45am
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/2 ... -ad-384386

Georgia Democrat Jon Ossoff on Tuesday condemned a digital ad from his opponent, Republican Sen. David Perdue, that appeared to enlarge Ossoff's nose in a fundraising appeal, calling it anti-Semitic and saying Perdue should donate any funds raised from the since-revoked ad to groups promoting tolerance.

The ad, originally reported by the Forward, featured Ossoff's image next to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, both of whom are Jewish, and said Democrats are trying to "buy Georgia" with a link to raise funds for Perdue's campaign. Perdue's campaign said the ad was created by an outside vendor and the image was distorted because the photograph was resized and filtered. The campaign removed the ad from circulation.



I had no idea Photoshop now has a "Jewish Trope" filter.
I think you just need to pay extra.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13886
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 8:45am
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/2 ... -ad-384386

Georgia Democrat Jon Ossoff on Tuesday condemned a digital ad from his opponent, Republican Sen. David Perdue, that appeared to enlarge Ossoff's nose in a fundraising appeal, calling it anti-Semitic and saying Perdue should donate any funds raised from the since-revoked ad to groups promoting tolerance.

The ad, originally reported by the Forward, featured Ossoff's image next to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, both of whom are Jewish, and said Democrats are trying to "buy Georgia" with a link to raise funds for Perdue's campaign. Perdue's campaign said the ad was created by an outside vendor and the image was distorted because the photograph was resized and filtered. The campaign removed the ad from circulation.



I had no idea Photoshop now has a "Jewish Trope" filter.
I wish I was a forensic designer.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Post Reply