No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84309
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 Sep 2019, 3:39pm

Some fifty years after the civil rights movement, folks!
https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/s ... e-worn-bl/
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84309
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 13 Sep 2019, 10:39am

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2019/09/12 ... candidate/

What a world we live in where a candidate is turfed for suggesting his party leader should denounce racism.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84309
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Sep 2019, 2:42pm

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/sandra_ ... g_from_snl

Disappointing but not surprising to see where so many white, male comedians fall on this issue. These guys think of themselves as libertarian, but come off more as nihilistic. Who cares about reinforcing bigotry, especially in a tinderbox environment, the real victim is an asshole who doesn't get to be on tv.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28287
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Flex » 18 Sep 2019, 3:43pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 2:42pm
https://exclaim.ca/film/article/sandra_ ... g_from_snl

Disappointing but not surprising to see where so many white, male comedians fall on this issue. These guys think of themselves as libertarian, but come off more as nihilistic. Who cares about reinforcing bigotry, especially in a tinderbox environment, the real victim is an asshole who doesn't get to be on tv.
Norm is my #1 example of a famous person I really, really wish I knew nothing of their personal views.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84309
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Sep 2019, 4:03pm

Flex wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 2:42pm
https://exclaim.ca/film/article/sandra_ ... g_from_snl

Disappointing but not surprising to see where so many white, male comedians fall on this issue. These guys think of themselves as libertarian, but come off more as nihilistic. Who cares about reinforcing bigotry, especially in a tinderbox environment, the real victim is an asshole who doesn't get to be on tv.
Norm is my #1 example of a famous person I really, really wish I knew nothing of their personal views.
However, your lust for more on Rob Schneider's views can never be extinguished!

But, yeah, Norm is a baffling mix of comedic genius and political and intellectual imbecility (strange, too, that his brother is a pretty sharp political reporter for CBC; guess it doesn't spread throughout the family). The best I can say is that he belies the idea that conservatives are never funny.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10931
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Kory » 18 Sep 2019, 5:13pm

What do we all think of Bill Burr? I have a lot of people in my life who love him, but I don't think he's funny and I also think he's one bad day away from calling somebody a snowflake, if he hasn't already.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84309
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Sep 2019, 5:34pm

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:13pm
What do we all think of Bill Burr? I have a lot of people in my life who love him, but I don't think he's funny and I also think he's one bad day away from calling somebody a snowflake, if he hasn't already.
Several people have recommended him to me, but he's never caught my ear.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 9572
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by BostonBeaneater » 18 Sep 2019, 11:48pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:13pm
What do we all think of Bill Burr? I have a lot of people in my life who love him, but I don't think he's funny and I also think he's one bad day away from calling somebody a snowflake, if he hasn't already.
Several people have recommended him to me, but he's never caught my ear.
I like him. He’s got a bit of Carlin in him. I think he’s a very equal opportunity off-color guy. He picks on everyone which I like. We watched the new Netflix stand up show last night and both laughed quite a bit.
Attachments
4F9BFE29-4CD1-4213-A0E9-8E58D2361E77.jpeg
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 52585
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Wolter » 18 Sep 2019, 11:52pm

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:13pm
What do we all think of Bill Burr? I have a lot of people in my life who love him, but I don't think he's funny and I also think he's one bad day away from calling somebody a snowflake, if he hasn't already.
I’m in this boat. I feel like he’s a stiff breeze away from making a special called “Triggered” that goes full maga. Again, if he hasn’t already.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by 101Walterton » 19 Sep 2019, 12:01am

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 11:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:13pm
What do we all think of Bill Burr? I have a lot of people in my life who love him, but I don't think he's funny and I also think he's one bad day away from calling somebody a snowflake, if he hasn't already.
Several people have recommended him to me, but he's never caught my ear.
I like him. He’s got a bit of Carlin in him. I think he’s a very equal opportunity off-color guy. He picks on everyone which I like. We watched the new Netflix stand up show last night and both laughed quite a bit.
Haha I like him.
Had to go to a full on Catholic funeral last Friday in Mrs W home town.
On way to the funeral I pointed out to the kids a small waterfall on the side of the road where someone once saw the Virgin Mary and why people leave flowers there to this day. 50.5W responded with “wait who was the Virgin Mary again” 😂
We went to the Roserry the night before the funeral, it was f’ing weird!!! 25.25W came out and said “well that was very cultish”. He wasn’t wrong.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84309
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Oct 2019, 6:17am

Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Marky Dread » 26 Oct 2019, 7:09am

"I am a rich whitey" and "I am a super rich Whitey" would've worked much better. :rolleyes:
Image

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3115
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by WestwayKid » 29 Oct 2019, 12:32pm

My community has an issue with race. This does not make us unique (sadly). It has been a particular issue in our schools: racial slurs, racist graffiti, and so on. The administration (school and district level) has been slow to respond. The community is mostly white, but an increasing number of people of color have been moving in and this obviously rubs many people the wrong way.

There was a parent group formed in the wake of particularly ugly incident in September 2018. I joined earlier this year and have gotten increasingly involved. Our main accomplishment has been working with the district and the community to create an action plan to address issues of equity and racism in our schools and our community.

It's been tough, however. The school district has had "let's wait it out and hopefully it will go away" attitude. They have been consistently reactive instead of proactive. The superintendent, who was a co-chair of the steering committee that drafted the plan, didn't even attend the meeting 2-weeks ago where it was presented to the public. He was in China on a district trip, but had neglected to tell anyone he wasn't going to be in town. We found out because someone got an "out of office" reply.

He resigned last night. The cause given was that he was caught using his district credit card to make personal purchases.

It's just been a real journey into white privilege and white fragility. They're both very strong forces in America and huge roadblocks to change.
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Marky Dread » 30 Oct 2019, 6:55am

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 12:32pm
My community has an issue with race. This does not make us unique (sadly). It has been a particular issue in our schools: racial slurs, racist graffiti, and so on. The administration (school and district level) has been slow to respond. The community is mostly white, but an increasing number of people of color have been moving in and this obviously rubs many people the wrong way.

There was a parent group formed in the wake of particularly ugly incident in September 2018. I joined earlier this year and have gotten increasingly involved. Our main accomplishment has been working with the district and the community to create an action plan to address issues of equity and racism in our schools and our community.

It's been tough, however. The school district has had "let's wait it out and hopefully it will go away" attitude. They have been consistently reactive instead of proactive. The superintendent, who was a co-chair of the steering committee that drafted the plan, didn't even attend the meeting 2-weeks ago where it was presented to the public. He was in China on a district trip, but had neglected to tell anyone he wasn't going to be in town. We found out because someone got an "out of office" reply.

He resigned last night. The cause given was that he was caught using his district credit card to make personal purchases.

It's just been a real journey into white privilege and white fragility. They're both very strong forces in America and huge roadblocks to change.
China with all them foreigners what a traitor! Seriously good on you mate and stick with it even if you manage to make a few think a little more then it's a worthy cause.
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28287
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Flex » 31 Oct 2019, 11:02am

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 12:32pm
My community has an issue with race. This does not make us unique (sadly). It has been a particular issue in our schools: racial slurs, racist graffiti, and so on. The administration (school and district level) has been slow to respond. The community is mostly white, but an increasing number of people of color have been moving in and this obviously rubs many people the wrong way.

There was a parent group formed in the wake of particularly ugly incident in September 2018. I joined earlier this year and have gotten increasingly involved. Our main accomplishment has been working with the district and the community to create an action plan to address issues of equity and racism in our schools and our community.

It's been tough, however. The school district has had "let's wait it out and hopefully it will go away" attitude. They have been consistently reactive instead of proactive. The superintendent, who was a co-chair of the steering committee that drafted the plan, didn't even attend the meeting 2-weeks ago where it was presented to the public. He was in China on a district trip, but had neglected to tell anyone he wasn't going to be in town. We found out because someone got an "out of office" reply.

He resigned last night. The cause given was that he was caught using his district credit card to make personal purchases.

It's just been a real journey into white privilege and white fragility. They're both very strong forces in America and huge roadblocks to change.
I chatted a tiny bit about this with Maj in our last podcast, but I think getting involved at the school-level is so critical for the real groundwork that needs to be done in this country. Right wingers figured that out years ago and the Left has been kind of slow to catch on- good on you for taking a stand and doing the grunt work.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests