The Dictator observations thread.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Too truthful to go in the Onion thread.
Mom Scolds Child For Pointing At Homeless Man Instead Of Ignoring His Very Existence
ARCATA, CA—Yanking the girl into the grocery store to avoid further embarrassment, local mom Tara Cochran scolded her daughter Wednesday for pointing at a homeless man instead of ignoring his very existence. “Sophia, no. We do not acknowledge a homeless person’s humanity, it’s impolite,” said Cochran, quietly admonishing her daughter’s rudeness while avoiding eye contact with the man sitting on a dirty piece of cardboard begging for change. “You’re going to make him feel bad instead of making him feel invisible. We need to be respectful of these people by treating them as objects blocking the sidewalk. If they talk to you first, then it’s ok to shake your head and murmur “Sorry, can’t help,” but otherwise, leave them in destitute peace. Yes, even if you have some change, you shouldn’t go giving it to them because that’s wrong.” Cochran went on to explain to her daughter why it’s important to tell the Salvation Army bell-ringer that you just donated, even if you didn’t.
https://local.theonion.com/mom-scolds-c ... 1840206043
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 4:41pm
Too truthful to go in the Onion thread.
Mom Scolds Child For Pointing At Homeless Man Instead Of Ignoring His Very Existence
ARCATA, CA—Yanking the girl into the grocery store to avoid further embarrassment, local mom Tara Cochran scolded her daughter Wednesday for pointing at a homeless man instead of ignoring his very existence. “Sophia, no. We do not acknowledge a homeless person’s humanity, it’s impolite,” said Cochran, quietly admonishing her daughter’s rudeness while avoiding eye contact with the man sitting on a dirty piece of cardboard begging for change. “You’re going to make him feel bad instead of making him feel invisible. We need to be respectful of these people by treating them as objects blocking the sidewalk. If they talk to you first, then it’s ok to shake your head and murmur “Sorry, can’t help,” but otherwise, leave them in destitute peace. Yes, even if you have some change, you shouldn’t go giving it to them because that’s wrong.” Cochran went on to explain to her daughter why it’s important to tell the Salvation Army bell-ringer that you just donated, even if you didn’t.
https://local.theonion.com/mom-scolds-c ... 1840206043
Devastating truth.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/atlas-finally-shrugged

This piece is twenty years old, but in some respects feels more relevant than when it was published, at neoliberalism's apex. It's also striking for being a history that has been excised from public memory.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Go tumour!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 3:08pm
Go tumour!
"I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction."
Clarence Darrow
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

This is probably bad:

Reminds me of

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ke/605536/

Okay, it's by David Brooks, but, that said, this is a rather useful, long-form piece on the failure of the nuclear family model written from the position of a conservative communitarian. He comes close in places to realizing that the core problem is modernity—i.e., urbanization and intensified capitalism in all aspects of our lives—but that's probably a step too far for that kind of critique. But I do appreciate his critique of individualism (as expressed by both the right and left) has resulted in family structures that are more corrosive the lower down the ladder you go.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Apparently 3rd Amendment memes exist:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Just being honest, dude.
Attachments
F6BAB300-8F1C-4A33-810B-E7224B36D082.png

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 7:52pm
Just being honest, dude.
Well done.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 7:57pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 7:52pm
Just being honest, dude.
Well done.
I looked up the race. It was a good opportunity to educate myself. I'm going for the Black lady who used to be homeless:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/ ... story.html

Current incumbent: Dan Cullinane, Democratic Party
Population: 39,298
Race 23.07% White, 64.65% Black, 3.40% Asian

Massachusetts' Twelfth Suffolk state house district is represented by Democratic Representative Dan Cullinane.

As of the 2010 census, a total of 39,298 civilians reside within Massachusetts' Twelfth Suffolk state house district. Massachusetts state representatives represent an average of 40,923 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 39,682 residents.