Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 12:07pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 11:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 10:04am
Heard on CBC radio this morning an American journalist (didn't catch the name) describe the US as like the Soviet Union in the 80s—septuagenarian leaders, corrupt elections, and lines to get into grocery stores with bare spots on the shelves.
Ive seen no lines to get into grocery stores.
Really? We've had to stand in line for our neighbourhood grocery store and pharmacy. It's been that way since shit went sideways.
That's Marxism for ya.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 12:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heard on CBC radio this morning an American journalist (didn't catch the name) describe the US as like the Soviet Union in the 80s—septuagenarian leaders, corrupt elections, and lines to get into grocery stores with bare spots on the shelves.
Really? We've had to stand in line for our neighbourhood grocery store and pharmacy. It's been that way since shit went sideways.
That's Marxism for ya.
We will bury you, imperialist pig.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 12:56pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 12:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's Marxism for ya.
We will bury you, imperialist pig.
Get in line. HA!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

But seriously waiting in line to get inside or for the checkout process?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 1:12pm
To go inside—limiting the number of people in the store at one time to encourage distancing. Mind you, the longest wait I had in line was maybe five minutes, so it wasn't torturous.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 1:15pm
revbob wrote:
To go inside—limiting the number of people in the store at one time to encourage distancing. Mind you, the longest wait I had in line was maybe five minutes, so it wasn't torturous.
I imagine it might happen in some places here and/or maybe the hippie store but I go to the regional grocery chain.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 1:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 1:15pm
revbob wrote:
I imagine it might happen in some places here and/or maybe the hippie store but I go to the regional grocery chain.
I'm quite surprised that you haven't encountered that. Vermont ain't Mississippi.

Haven't found anyone grumbling about the lines, either, but I figure it's because we're a government town, where people are used to following protocols.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

We mostly do curbside pickup and forego lines altogether, but when I've had to go into stores I've had a wait a few times. Mostly just a few minutes but had to wait about 15 minutes to get into a Trader Joe's a couple weeks ago.

Our biggest problem is we must be at the tail end of the regional supply chain because we really struggle getting meat and fresh produce. Have to head into the city to get that stuff.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Yeah, I've only seen lines at TJ's.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:11pm
We mostly do curbside pickup and forego lines altogether, but when I've had to go into stores I've had a wait a few times. Mostly just a few minutes but had to wait about 15 minutes to get into a Trader Joe's a couple weeks ago.

Our biggest problem is we must be at the tail end of the regional supply chain because we really struggle getting meat and fresh produce. Have to head into the city to get that stuff.
G-damn hippie store. Ill bet they make you wear masks too.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:11pm

We've been doing a meat-share thing where they send us 6-7 lbs of frozen local meats once a month for like $100. The meat is high quality keeps our cooking somewhat creative while also limiting our meat intake. Between this and a very good local fish market we eat pretty well.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Trump's America as Starship Troopers: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... can-defeat

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 6:44am
Trump's America as Starship Troopers: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... can-defeat
Extremely sharp essay
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... od-1303210

I admit that I'm only vaguely aware of these antisemitic incidences—a Jewish friend recently asked me about the Eagles one, but otherwise I haven't clued in on any of this. Sad that a column like this still has to be written.