Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 2:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2023, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 1:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2023, 1:00pm

That sounds like it would be a fascinating read. Will see if I can find a copy. 😎
Lasch is on the dense side in terms of prose—he was an academic historian, after all—but I like him more and more because he was a leftist who was curmudgeonly and turn most of his grouchiness on what the left had become since the 60s. For that reason he was often seen as a conservative, which isn't altogether fair. Which isn't to say I agree with what he argued, but, well, I tend to be some seen as curmudgeonly and much of the time my grouchiness is at the left (esp. the academic left and the online left).
Found a site who has a PDF. So when I'm little less busy it will be on my list.
You and James, reading the kinds of books grad students are forced to grind thru. Absolutely nuts.
I'm not in the same league as James. But there was once a time when I was voracious reader.
While I've normally got 3 or 4 things on the go at any given time, I've become a very slow reader now. I used to tear thru shit, just let my brain explode with ideas, but I sip instead of gulp now. Like everything else, reading is a young person's game. :meh:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 2:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2023, 2:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 2:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2023, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 1:25pm

Lasch is on the dense side in terms of prose—he was an academic historian, after all—but I like him more and more because he was a leftist who was curmudgeonly and turn most of his grouchiness on what the left had become since the 60s. For that reason he was often seen as a conservative, which isn't altogether fair. Which isn't to say I agree with what he argued, but, well, I tend to be some seen as curmudgeonly and much of the time my grouchiness is at the left (esp. the academic left and the online left).
Found a site who has a PDF. So when I'm little less busy it will be on my list.
You and James, reading the kinds of books grad students are forced to grind thru. Absolutely nuts.
I'm not in the same league as James. But there was once a time when I was voracious reader.
While I've normally got 3 or 4 things on the go at any given time, I've become a very slow reader now. I used to tear thru shit, just let my brain explode with ideas, but I sip instead of gulp now. Like everything else, reading is a young person's game. :meh:
Yep agree. I use to have a fascination with any famous name I'd heard of from the movies or music or anyone mentioned in a song by an artist I liked. It felt like I was joining all these dots together. But in reality the only thing they truly had in common was fame.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2023, 2:48pm
I use to have a fascination with any famous name I'd heard of from the movies or music or anyone mentioned in a song by an artist I liked. It felt like I was joining all these dots together. But in reality the only thing they truly had in common was fame.
And yet, there is something wonderfully romantic about all that, just wanting to know more and more and think you're figuring out something huge. If I have a disappointment in students, it's that I don't encounter that ravenous desire to just take in information, to be insatiably curious about diverse things. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think I was *that* unusual when I was their age. That's one of the things I loved about Suzanne when she was posting here. Every week or two she was falling in love with a band, inevitably something we'd all gone thru so we didn't have that same passion. But for her it was happening in real time, that discovery and amazement and need to hear and read more. That stuff is beautiful, finding out that there's all this stuff out there that can alter how you perceive the world, that it can make you happy and sad and hungry for more. It's just sad to me how so many students don't approach school with a hunger. It gets a whole lot harder once you start racking up bills and being responsible for kids.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 3:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I use to have a fascination with any famous name I'd heard of from the movies or music or anyone mentioned in a song by an artist I liked. It felt like I was joining all these dots together. But in reality the only thing they truly had in common was fame.
And yet, there is something wonderfully romantic about all that, just wanting to know more and more and think you're figuring out something huge. If I have a disappointment in students, it's that I don't encounter that ravenous desire to just take in information, to be insatiably curious about diverse things. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think I was *that* unusual when I was their age. That's one of the things I loved about Suzanne when she was posting here. Every week or two she was falling in love with a band, inevitably something we'd all gone thru so we didn't have that same passion. But for her it was happening in real time, that discovery and amazement and need to hear and read more. That stuff is beautiful, finding out that there's all this stuff out there that can alter how you perceive the world, that it can make you happy and sad and hungry for more. It's just sad to me how so many students don't approach school with a hunger. It gets a whole lot harder once you start racking up bills and being responsible for kids.
I would read sleeve notes to see where the record was made, where it had been recorded and who recorded and produced it. What session musicians had played on it. Then check other record sleeves to see that the same studio had been used and the same session musicians etc etc. Eveything just seemed to fit together like one huge puzzle. I would buy records by bands who hardly anyone had heard because one member had been in a previous band or was the brother of someone in another band.

I still find it incredibly fascinating just how many musicians in bands you wouldn't ever consider listening to from the 60s went on to produce bands you later loved from the 70s and beyond. All these dots need to be joined together in my mind. It's like an obsession to know as much as possible.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2023, 3:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I would read sleeve notes to see where the record was made, where it had been recorded and who recorded and produced it. What session musicians had played on it. Then check other record sleeves to see that the same studio had been used and the same session musicians etc etc. Eveything just seemed to fit together like one huge puzzle. I would buy records by bands who hardly anyone had heard because one member had been in a previous band or was the brother of someone in another band.

I still find it incredibly fascinating just how many musicians in bands you wouldn't ever consider listening to from the 60s went on to produce bands you later loved from the 70s and beyond. All these dots need to be joined together in my mind. It's like an obsession to know as much as possible.
It's all goofy stuff—you don't need to know any of it to enjoy a record—but to those of that bent you just *need* to know. It's been argued by some popular culture scholars that the ardent fan is fundamentally a scholar. They acquire and synthesize vast amounts of information, developing arguments like any other academic field. And it's completely true. (Right down to ardent fans able to be snobbish dicks like university professors when it comes to their specialties.)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 3:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's all goofy stuff—you don't need to know any of it to enjoy a record—but to those of that bent you just *need* to know. It's been argued by some popular culture scholars that the ardent fan is fundamentally a scholar. They acquire and synthesize vast amounts of information, developing arguments like any other academic field. And it's completely true. (Right down to ardent fans able to be snobbish dicks like university professors when it comes to their specialties.)
I would spend a lot of time in London and see musicians everywhere. I would recognise the guy who played the bass in a support band I had seen 6 months earlier. I would approach people and say I recognise you from such and such band and previously that they played in another band. They would be stunned to be recognised and that I knew about their previous band who hadn't played more than 5 gigs. Friends would think I was nuts when I pulled a record out by some unknown band and say I met the bass player yesterday.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2023, 3:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I would spend a lot of time in London and see musicians everywhere. I would recognise the guy who played the bass in a support band I had seen 6 months earlier. I would approach people and say I recognise you from such and such band and previously that they played in another band. They would be stunned to be recognised and that I knew about their previous band who hadn't played more than 5 gigs. Friends would think I was nuts when I pulled a record out by some unknown band and say I met the bass player yesterday.
As much as anything, who pays attention to the bass player? :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 4:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I knew your eternal love for Kory wouldn't fail you here. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2023, 5:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

He knows I love him like a secret, shameful fetish.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2023, 5:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's OK your secret is safe with me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 May 2023, 9:43am
I've been staying with my father in law in the bay area and he's always been fairly paranoid about getting robbed (he does have an unfortunate, fairly statistically improbable, history of getting robbed in every house he's lived in and had his car broken into all his security precautions, so it's not exactly an inexplicable fear) but with all the crime coverage of San Francisco he has become almost paralyzed with fear of crime. It's actually a little sad to see. He's just being fed total nonsense. From what I can tell from area crime stats, where he lives is "safer" than where I live in Colorado - which is an extremely safe neighborhood (I have neighbors who also complain about perceived crime in our neighborhood and I think they're deranged) and he was just yesterday extolling the virtues of how much safer it is where I live than where he lives. I wasn't about to try to persuade him otherwise, but it's really striking how much the perception of safety is based entirely on vibes and almost nothing to do with, like, crime statistics or anything.

The San Francisco Chronicle has done pretty good analysis that crime in the bay area is following a pretty steady decades long decline and is only "up" over the last couple of years because their was a precipitous drop in all crime during covid lockdowns (iirc, rape and violent crime - against women, particularly - HAS had a small increase vs the trend, which is alarming, but also as far as I can tell almost totally absent as a concern from the broader discussions of crime in the area). I'm just a visitor to the area so I'm happy to stand corrected if I'm missing something, but by pretty much every measure the bay area is actually safer than when I last visited in 2019 but people seem to be having a collective meltdown about how unsafe the area has gotten.
This piece about people at gun shows speaks to this matter of perceived lack of safety: https://archive.ph/zPN9q

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2023, 6:40am
This piece about people at gun shows speaks to this matter of perceived lack of safety: https://archive.ph/zPN9q
Yeah, it's a running gag at this point how gun owners are terrified, cowardly little piss babies but it's still a good point to underline. There's also several comments in the article that allude to a sort of biblical fall for society and the evil that runs amuck now. Definitely our country's fall from grace is a huge part of this narrative. Complaining about how dangerous/unsafe things now almost necessarily requires as part of the argument that there was an older, safer golden age. For these gun nuts, I'd wager the fall happened right around the signing of the civil rights act.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 May 2023, 10:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2023, 6:40am
Yeah, it's a running gag at this point how gun owners are terrified, cowardly little piss babies but it's still a good point to underline. There's also several comments in the article that allude to a sort of biblical fall for society and the evil that runs amuck now. Definitely our country's fall from grace is a huge part of this narrative. Complaining about how dangerous/unsafe things now almost necessarily requires as part of the argument that there was an older, safer golden age. For these gun nuts, I'd wager the fall happened right around the signing of the civil rights act.
Entirely. The essence of “make America great again”—whether it’s when Trump uses it or when Reagan used it—is that there used to be a time when people knew their place. Everything they hate about the contemporary world is that so many people are acting improperly. Queer people aren’t in the closet and ashamed. Non-whites aren’t quiet and want the same respect and opportunity as white men. Women aren’t taking care of the house. That’s the collapse of civilization right there. And the more public this disorder is demonstrated, the more evidence is gathered that the world is uncertain and dangerous. The irony, of course, is that amassing guns and consuming narratives of collapse is bringing about the violence and danger they fear.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm the 9" strap-on of friends.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 May 2023, 7:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm the 9" strap-on of friends.
To some, a blessing; to others, a nightmare.