The Dictator observations thread.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 2:19pm
And I got my deferral. I will not be dispensing hot, cold, or lukewarm justice.
...yet
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 3:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
...yet
Now, if I can get in one of the trucker occupier trials, ho-daddy!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't fret, there's always the next time! :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... ket-newtab

I've mentioned before that what I find so fascinating about this is that between the 50s and 70s, being anti-science (or at least deeply skeptical) was found mostly on the left, which tied science to things like the Holocaust, nuclear weapons, pollution, and, more esoteric, mind control. It was the right (and centre) that championed science, connecting it to progress, security, and national pride.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 1:58pm

I've mentioned before that what I find so fascinating about this is that between the 50s and 70s, being anti-science (or at least deeply skeptical) was found mostly on the left, which tied science to things like the Holocaust, nuclear weapons, pollution, and, more esoteric, mind control. It was the right (and centre) that championed science, connecting it to progress, security, and national pride.
The right have now fully embraced religion as their science.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 3:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The right have now fully embraced religion as their science.
I'm not sure it's even that. Increasingly, it seems like they embrace a xenophobic nihilism—we believe in nothing but loathing for those different from us.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Further proof that ignorance is bliss.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elon-mus ... 4b0e825db1

Funny, a couple days ago, my nephew who is visiting and runs a small agro-tech business, said that he'd be surprised if the Musk Twitter deal goes thru, and one of the reasons he cited was the iffy nature of his collateral because of the tech stocks taking a beating. Most of what he was saying went over my head—don't ask me how the economy works, indeed—but I was amused all the same by his prescience.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2022, 1:42pm

Funny, a couple days ago, my nephew who is visiting and runs a small agro-tech business, said that he'd be surprised if the Musk Twitter deal goes thru, and one of the reasons he cited was the iffy nature of his collateral because of the tech stocks taking a beating. Most of what he was saying went over my head—don't ask me how the economy works, indeed—but I was amused all the same by his prescience.
Also, I don't follow the guy's life much because I hate him, but it seems like he says things a lot and then doesn't follow up on them. It appears to be a pattern.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 May 2022, 3:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Also, I don't follow the guy's life much because I hate him, but it seems like he says things a lot and then doesn't follow up on them. It appears to be a pattern.
Attention whore. He strikes me as the kid who desperately wants to be popular and does dumb shit just to be talked about.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2022, 4:07pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Attention whore. He strikes me as the kid who desperately wants to be popular and does dumb shit just to be talked about.
He should team up with Mozzer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 May 2022, 4:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2022, 4:07pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He should team up with Mozzer.
There can only be one star in this band, each of them would say.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I'm inclined to agree with much of that. I check twitter a few times a day and find it useful enough but there's so much I hate about it, not least the obsessive lust after likes and followers and how that validates people. "Twitter activism," if not exactly an oxymoron, doesn't sound to me like something to ever aspire to.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
31 May 2022, 7:16am
I'm inclined to agree with much of that. I check twitter a few times a day and find it useful enough but there's so much I hate about it, not least the obsessive lust after likes and followers and how that validates people. "Twitter activism," if not exactly an oxymoron, doesn't sound to me like something to ever aspire to.
One of the many reasons why I've never gotten into social media is the, to me, unsettling combination of abstraction and status. That is, measuring significance by how many followers or friends you have or someone else has. With select exceptions, they aren't really your friend. They aren't likely to help you move a couch or meet you for drinks. I remember when Facebook broke out, a friend was telling me about all the famous Facebook friends she had, and looked at me like I kicked her dog when I said, "But you're not really friends with them." Which is to say, friends in a conventional, personal—properly human—way. The elevation of the abstract number—friends, followers, reposts, retweets, etc—over the real and human abuses the understanding and value of friendship. Measuring your sense of self in this way is, to me, kind of pitiable, not unlike comparing bank accounts. As a way of communicating, I'm mostly ambivalent, but its political and social effects seem pretty wretched to me.