The Dictator observations thread.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Flex »

Yeah, Lemon was credibly accused of various sexual harassment stuff. Weird timing, but I think it's basically coincidental. I'll be real curious what Tucker does. I think he crossed the line from cynical charlatan to true believer some time ago, but he's still fundamentally about his own enrichment, so wonder exactly what that will mean. Whatever it is, I suspect that whatever restraints Fox had on him will be gone and he'll be getting more deranged for a smaller but more rabid fanbase.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 1:20pm
I'll be real curious what Tucker does. I think he crossed the line from cynical charlatan to true believer some time ago, but he's still fundamentally about his own enrichment, so wonder exactly what that will mean. Whatever it is, I suspect that whatever restraints Fox had on him will be gone and he'll be getting more deranged for a smaller but more rabid fanbase.
Yup, he can go more unhinged, but Fox News is still the biggest stage for that segment of sewer dwellers. He'd have more freedom at NewsMax or whatever, but he won't be able to piss off as many liberals over there, which, in turn, eliminates much of his juice.

edit: The authorized leaks about his behaviour behind the scenes are going to be delicious. The dude almost certainly made a ton of enemies there and the knives will be out. It'll be like a Red Sox manager being fired.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

JennyB wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 10:59am
This isn't at all horrifying.
Doesn't sound like this worked out the way they had hoped it would. :lol: :lol: :lol:

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

Flex wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 1:20pm
Yeah, Lemon was credibly accused of various sexual harassment stuff. Weird timing, but I think it's basically coincidental. I'll be real curious what Tucker does. I think he crossed the line from cynical charlatan to true believer some time ago, but he's still fundamentally about his own enrichment, so wonder exactly what that will mean. Whatever it is, I suspect that whatever restraints Fox had on him will be gone and he'll be getting more deranged for a smaller but more rabid fanbase.
Don Lemon has been a dead man walking at CNN for about the last year or so, pretty much everyone knew this shoe was going to drop eventually. It seems likely that when the Carlson firing was announced, CNN saw an opportunity to bury his ouster under a much larger story.

As for Tucker Carlson, he's going to be fine. Wherever he ends up, I'd disagree that there's any reason to believe that his audience is going to significantly shrink or be made up solely of far-right crazies—it's important to remember that he was the most-watched mainstream news host by not only Republican voters, but by Democrats as well. I think it's a bit myopic for us on the left to celebrate his firing, as he was the only figure in MSM that pretty regularly gave a platform to leftist/anti-imperialist journalists and commentators, which is something that the entire rest of Fox News, CNN and MSNBC would never do. I don't actively watch his show, so I don't know everything he's said about the 2020 election, but he was—as far as I know—the only Fox News host to call out Sidney Powell on her outrageous "stolen election" lies...

This certainly isn't me giving an endorsement of Carlson or of his political positions in general—his views on immigration and homelessness, in particular, are completely reprehensible—but it's really not a good thing to have the only anti-war voice in mainstream media taken off the air. This is really the death knell for corporate media, IMHO.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Carlson's a fascist, mate, his being gone from a multi-million dollar mainstream organisation is to be celebrated. His populism and acknowledgement of the state's brutal embedding with capital is integral to his white supremacism.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 8:23am
Carlson's a fascist, mate, his being gone from a multi-million dollar mainstream organisation is to be celebrated. His populism and acknowledgement of the state's brutal embedding with capital is integral to his white supremacism.
I also wasn't aware of his anti-war creds

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Sparky wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 8:43pm
JennyB wrote:
Doesn't sound like this worked out the way they had hoped it would. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 10:11am
Silent Majority wrote:
Wanting Ukraine's backers to let Russia seize the territory isn't exactly the same thing as being anti-war.

But, guys, don't engage the Putin puppet, huh? There's is nothing constructive about legitimizing that shit.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 10:37am
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wanting Ukraine's backers to let Russia seize the territory isn't exactly the same thing as being anti-war.

But, guys, don't engage the Putin puppet, huh? There's is nothing constructive about legitimizing that shit.
Exactly.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 8:43pm
JennyB wrote:

Over and over, authoritarians try snitch lines and every time the same thing happens. In Canada around 8 or 9 years ago, the Harper Conservatives established a "barbaric cultural practices" hotline to stoke anti-immigrant (mainly anti-Muslim) sentiment. It never results in anything but looking incompetent and evil. But, well, evil incompetents, like water, find their own level.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

But it all makes sense now. Tucker is really ANTIFA and that's why he got fired.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 8:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

But it all makes sense now. Tucker is really ANTIFA and that's why he got fired.
He was deliberately discrediting white supremacy and fascism by playing the role of a white supremacist fascist. 9th dimensional metaironic space chess.

(It reminds me of the time I listened to an Ann Coulter audiobook. It was torturous until I pretended it was satire, then it became quite entertaining.)

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

Silent Majority wrote:
You're missing my point—it's not about Carlson himself, it's about the fact that an audience of Fox News viewers were exposed to an anti-war message they wouldn't see anywhere else whenever he would have leftist voices on.
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wasn't just talking about Ukraine. The US and allied governments are proactively trying to provoke WWIII with Russia and China; not to mention all the other countries we're bombing.

And, "Putin puppet"? Were you smearing people as "Saddam puppets" for being opposed to the Iraq War twenty years ago? In your first response to my post last year laying out the circumstances that led to the war in Ukraine, you admitted that you didn't know any of the background—nothing wrong with that in itself, obviously, but it's bizarre that you then just immediately pivoted to parroting the Western government/media line on the issue and won't actually engage in good faith debate if you disagree with me. I've been nothing but polite and more than willing to have that debate.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Howard Beale wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 9:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
You're missing my point—it's not about Carlson himself, it's about the fact that an audience of Fox News viewers were exposed to an anti-war message they wouldn't see anywhere else whenever he would have leftist voices on.
I don't think I am - which leftist voices has he had on? Jimmy Dore? Glenn Greenwald? Both are riding the money train all the way to Strasser Station.

He's not anti-war. He just wants war on China instead.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/