The Dictator observations thread.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 8:20pm
Ken "Popehat" White on how privileged people perceive the legal system when they're on trial: https://www.popehat.com/p/bret-stephens ... inst-trump
Popehat taking a brett Stephens column to the woodshed feels a bit like shooting Brett Stephens in a barrel (easy, fun and socially valuable, in other words) and it's a great overall point be makes.

Slightly different, but related, is the great saying I use whenever discussing the legal system: the law in it's wisdom makes it equally a crime for the rich and poor alike to sleep under a bridge.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 9:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 8:20pm
Ken "Popehat" White on how privileged people perceive the legal system when they're on trial: https://www.popehat.com/p/bret-stephens ... inst-trump
Popehat taking a brett Stephens column to the woodshed feels a bit like shooting Brett Stephens in a barrel (easy, fun and socially valuable, in other words) and it's a great overall point be makes.

Slightly different, but related, is the great saying I use whenever discussing the legal system: the law in it's wisdom makes it equally a crime for the rich and poor alike to sleep under a bridge.
So the system works!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

My alma mater, Hampshire College, is having Chelsea Manning as their commencement speaker, good on them: https://www.hampshire.edu/news/hampshir ... -e-manning

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 12:29pm
My alma mater, Hampshire College, is having Chelsea Manning as their commencement speaker, good on them: https://www.hampshire.edu/news/hampshir ... -e-manning
Isn't Hampshire's motto something like "Death to America"?

But, yeah, solid move to have someone who can actually talk about challenges and being a good citizen.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
Definitely a plus of doing Liberal Arts (downside is being basically unemployable) is having celebs doing your commencement. Engineers never get anyone interesting.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 12:58pm
Definitely a plus of doing Liberal Arts (downside is being basically unemployable)
:sad:

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

matedog wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 12:58pm
Flex wrote:
Definitely a plus of doing Liberal Arts (downside is being basically unemployable) is having celebs doing your commencement. Engineers never get anyone interesting.
I resemble that remark. :meh:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.avclub.com/johnny-depp-moha ... 1851260898

Man, Johnny Depp has made it all but impossible to still enjoy the stuff of his I used to enjoy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We really thought our bigotry would be enough to fit in. :sad:
https://www.wonkette.com/p/right-wing-c ... uple-drags

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 1:00pm
I think it's documented that I'm not Putin's #1 fan here - despite his devotion to the brotherhood of all mankind - but I one kajilliin support him in this effort:
But Putin and the Motherland are still plugging away at that rebranding potential! He has lately been calling it “the Fatherland” instead, very butch, and last May Russian state TV announced the possibility of an expatriate village outside of Moscow for the hundreds of “conservative-minded” Americans and Canadians who Russia now claims want to emigrate for ideological reasons, declaring, “the reason is propaganda of radical values: Today they have 70 genders, and who knows what will come next!”
Please, please set up a special village/prison to encourage as many conservative freaks as possible to move there and get out of our countries.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 3:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think it's documented that I'm not Putin's #1 fan here - despite his devotion to the brotherhood of all mankind - but I one kajilliin support him in this effort:
But Putin and the Motherland are still plugging away at that rebranding potential! He has lately been calling it “the Fatherland” instead, very butch, and last May Russian state TV announced the possibility of an expatriate village outside of Moscow for the hundreds of “conservative-minded” Americans and Canadians who Russia now claims want to emigrate for ideological reasons, declaring, “the reason is propaganda of radical values: Today they have 70 genders, and who knows what will come next!”
Please, please set up a special village/prison to encourage as many conservative freaks as possible to move there and get out of our countries.
I'm cool with tankies relocating there, too, to recreate the glories of the 1930s.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 3:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yep, I'd pass the hat or start a "Go Fund Me" to help pay their travel expenses!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss just shared this with me. It's part of a 1975 letter from a First Nations chief in northern Ontario to a company that was seeking to build a pipeline that would have gone thru a reserve: "You are like the Pentagon, Mr. Blair, planning the slaughter of innocent Vietnamese. Don't tell me you are not responsible. You are the 20th-century General Custer. You are coming with your troops to slaughter us and steal land that is rightfully ours. You are coming to destroy a people that have a history of 30,000 years. Why? For 20 years of gas? Are you really that insane?"

You can really see the Red Power influence there, of forcefully speaking back to a white authority in a way that would have been unheard of a decade earlier.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 6:53pm
The Boss just shared this with me. It's part of a 1975 letter from a First Nations chief in northern Ontario to a company that was seeking to build a pipeline that would have gone thru a reserve: "You are like the Pentagon, Mr. Blair, planning the slaughter of innocent Vietnamese. Don't tell me you are not responsible. You are the 20th-century General Custer. You are coming with your troops to slaughter us and steal land that is rightfully ours. You are coming to destroy a people that have a history of 30,000 years. Why? For 20 years of gas? Are you really that insane?"

You can really see the Red Power influence there, of forcefully speaking back to a white authority in a way that would have been unheard of a decade earlier.
That's awesome.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 6:53pm

That kicks ass

Pex Lives!