The Dictator observations thread.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 36263
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 3:12pm
I just learnt that people with dementia and without capacity can vote here in the UK. AITA for thinking that shouldn't be?
I feel like an ignoramus, but what does "without capacity" mean?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 18894
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: South Londoner in the Midlands.

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 4:40pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 3:12pm
I just learnt that people with dementia and without capacity can vote here in the UK. AITA for thinking that shouldn't be?
I feel like an ignoramus, but what does "without capacity" mean?
People with severe learning disabilities, for example.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 36263
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 4:43pm
Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 4:40pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 3:12pm
I just learnt that people with dementia and without capacity can vote here in the UK. AITA for thinking that shouldn't be?
I feel like an ignoramus, but what does "without capacity" mean?
People with severe learning disabilities, for example.
Got it. Yeah, to what Doc's saying, it seems like there's a baked in notion that a vote is supposed to be taken by someone capable of their own independent decision making. Someone without that capacity can't participate in the voting process in any meaningful sense.

Now, that's assuming one believes in the value of voting. If one is an abstentionist, I don't think it would really matter either way. Might be good to have more people with dementia vote in order to heighten the contradictions and so forth.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 18894
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: South Londoner in the Midlands.

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 6:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 4:43pm
Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 4:40pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2024, 3:12pm
I just learnt that people with dementia and without capacity can vote here in the UK. AITA for thinking that shouldn't be?
I feel like an ignoramus, but what does "without capacity" mean?
People with severe learning disabilities, for example.
Got it. Yeah, to what Doc's saying, it seems like there's a baked in notion that a vote is supposed to be taken by someone capable of their own independent decision making. Someone without that capacity can't participate in the voting process in any meaningful sense.

Now, that's assuming one believes in the value of voting. If one is an abstentionist, I don't think it would really matter either way. Might be good to have more people with dementia vote in order to heighten the contradictions and so forth.
For sure. In essence, I don't believe that voting for one flavour of capitalist management vs another is an especially righteous act, but in practice I'm not an abstentionist at this point because the far right are awake and thriving and amelioration has to figure into our choices. I've decided to walk down the road next week and vote for the Greens and take pleasure in voting against our two conservative parties and the soaring racism of the Reform party.

I can't give into an accelerationist argument, because every moment counts in climate collapse and the institutionalisation of bigotry, so, in looking at the system and its kneejerk claims, if we're doing the vote thing we should at least expect it to exist on its own already sullied claims. Thousands of write ins for that promising young up and comer Ted Heath, or the Make Food Mush Again Party, kind of belies the whole structure in a way that makes choosing the least worst option even less appetising.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 26184
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by revbob »

.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 36263
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Flex »

Good on ya, France.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5328
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Low Down Low »

Flex wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:17pm
Good on ya, France.
Very reassuring but Macron is still one lucky fucker. No doubt they'll try to spin it as a big win for him, but it's nothing of the sort.

bazarboy75
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2239
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:31pm

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by bazarboy75 »

Flex wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:17pm
Good on ya, France.
Tonight it s a victory
Thx to have thinking of us
We re not wining the war here but it s time to celebrate
Image

I said nothing about england yet but we re very happy here too abput what happened !

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 117634
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Straight Banana, Idaho

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We keep waiting for the authoritarian fever to break. Maybe France (and to a lesser extent Britain) is a positive sign?
Move over Tom Cruise time for the new fucking blood.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5328
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Low Down Low »

bazarboy75 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 3:00pm
Flex wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:17pm
Good on ya, France.
Tonight it s a victory
Thx to have thinking of us
We re not wining the war here but it s time to celebrate
Image

I said nothing about england yet but we re very happy here too abput what happened !
Great stuff. Enjoy the night!

bazarboy75
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2239
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:31pm

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by bazarboy75 »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:58pm
Flex wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:17pm
Good on ya, France.
Very reassuring but Macron is still one lucky fucker. No doubt they'll try to spin it as a big win for him, but it's nothing of the sort.
You re probably right mate he s will try some move
But you re 100% right he is a fucker

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5328
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Low Down Low »

bazarboy75 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 3:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:58pm
Flex wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:17pm
Good on ya, France.
Very reassuring but Macron is still one lucky fucker. No doubt they'll try to spin it as a big win for him, but it's nothing of the sort.
You re probably right mate he s will try some move
But you re 100% right he is a fucker
Should be fun if the left demand Melenchon is appointed next Prime Minister!

bazarboy75
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2239
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:31pm

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by bazarboy75 »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 3:57pm
bazarboy75 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 3:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:58pm
Flex wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:17pm
Good on ya, France.
Very reassuring but Macron is still one lucky fucker. No doubt they'll try to spin it as a big win for him, but it's nothing of the sort.
You re probably right mate he s will try some move
But you re 100% right he is a fucker
Should be fun if the left demand Melenchon is appointed next Prime Minister!
Well i don t think its the good option.
We nees a reunite the left wing here melenchon can t do that and he never will

bazarboy75
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2239
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:31pm

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by bazarboy75 »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 3:57pm
bazarboy75 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 3:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:58pm
Flex wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 2:17pm
Good on ya, France.
Very reassuring but Macron is still one lucky fucker. No doubt they'll try to spin it as a big win for him, but it's nothing of the sort.
You re probably right mate he s will try some move
But you re 100% right he is a fucker
Should be fun if the left demand Melenchon is appointed next Prime Minister!
Well i don t think he is the good option.
We need to reunite the left wing here melenchon can t do that and he never will

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 59590
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 3:05pm
We keep waiting for the authoritarian fever to break. Maybe France (and to a lesser extent Britain) is a positive sign?
The fight continues...
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty


We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Post Reply