Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 2:02pm
Cuomo to resign...
And he would have gotten away with it if not for them meddling dames!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

How do people this posh exist?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 6:04pm

How do they keep getting votes? Seriously how does the average working person look at this prick and thinks "yeah, I'll put my trust in him, for he'll look after me." But they must do, and it's baffling.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

RockNRollWhore wrote:

I know he was speaking English but what the fuck did he say?

And that hat.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 6:55pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:

And that hat.
He first among equals. :crazy:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 6:55pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:

And that hat.
I think the hat's because he styles his hair sort of like tRump.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: I iThe Dictator observations thread.

Post by Low Down Low »

BitterTom wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 6:09pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:

How do they keep getting votes? Seriously how does the average working person look at this prick and thinks "yeah, I'll put my trust in him, for he'll look after me." But they must do, and it's baffling.
Biggest political con trick in like, well, fucking ages anyway, Nixon maybe? I guess uk working class voters have no trump-style iconoclastic figure to embrace as a salve to their anti establishment leanings so Johnson, having cynically embraced brexit himself, sort of filled that gap. It's totally fucked up, of course. Brexit fucked it.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Late stage capitalism much?
B05A7C9A-33AE-44CD-8784-4666800688FC.jpeg

This is the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen on supermarket shelves.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

You want truly mind boggling absurd? I instantly thought of this:

iso74
Corner Soul

Post by iso74 »

RockNRollWhore wrote:

iso74
Corner Soul

Post by iso74 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2012, 9:56am
JennyB wrote:
Kaleb wrote:Isn't that a personality disorder?
Maybe it's a Cult of Personality disorder.

I remember being called a racist back in the late 80s for not thinking Living Color were the greatest band ever. Seriously.
I remember the lead singer, Corey Glover, being interviewed on The Word. Mica Paris was next to him and couldn't take her eyes off his tight leather shorts. This isn't going to mean much to non-British members (oh, I just noticed the pun there as I typed it lol).

Checked YouTube, the interview's not there, but he's there singing about abstract expressionism with those shorts on.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

iso74 wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2012, 9:56am
JennyB wrote:
Kaleb wrote:Isn't that a personality disorder?
Maybe it's a Cult of Personality disorder.

I remember being called a racist back in the late 80s for not thinking Living Color were the greatest band ever
. Seriously.
I remember the lead singer, Corey Glover, being interviewed on The Word. Mica Paris was next to him and couldn't take her eyes off his tight leather shorts. This isn't going to mean much to non-British members (oh, I just noticed the pun there as I typed it lol).

Checked YouTube, the interview's not there, but he's there singing about abstract expressionism with those shorts on.

I stand by this comment.

I saw them play back in the late 80s, thought it was a good show. Afterwards they went up to the university where there was a protest/occupation of the UVM president's office going on.

iso74
Corner Soul

Post by iso74 »

Very depressing that this thread started all the way back in 2010. That now seems like some lost Golden Age compared to today. I'm just baffled how there can be so many Dictators, or would-be Dictators in the 21st Century, especially when so many of them are total buffoons. You can't help coming to the conclusion that actually being a clown is an advantage for some of them.

The other night I was watching an interview with Jordan Klepper about following Trump rallies. Klepper recently went to a Mike Lindell, the MyPillow guy, event and said:

What fascinated me (was) how quickly they gave Mike Lindell the status they gave Donald Trump. That people we talked to there saw him as a saviour. They said, "He sees it like I see it. He speaks the truth. He's got the guts to say it." The way they talked about him was as if he's been on the scene for decades. Speaking truth, fighting the good fight. This guy sells pillows and has got into politics in the last few months, but you're giving this guy all the credit of a saviour.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

iso74 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 12:22pm
Very depressing that this thread started all the way back in 2010. That now seems like some lost Golden Age compared to today. I'm just baffled how there can be so many Dictators, or would-be Dictators in the 21st Century, especially when so many of them are total buffoons. You can't help coming to the conclusion that actually being a clown is an advantage for some of them.

The other night I was watching an interview with Jordan Klepper about following Trump rallies. Klepper recently went to a Mike Lindell, the MyPillow guy, event and said:

What fascinated me (was) how quickly they gave Mike Lindell the status they gave Donald Trump. That people we talked to there saw him as a saviour. They said, "He sees it like I see it. He speaks the truth. He's got the guts to say it." The way they talked about him was as if he's been on the scene for decades. Speaking truth, fighting the good fight. This guy sells pillows and has got into politics in the last few months, but you're giving this guy all the credit of a saviour.
One of the scariest parts of the Mr Pillow saga is tRump and others actually believe the bizarro stuff he spews out. I put him right up there with Sidney Powell (Ms. Kraken) and good ole Rudy G. What a team!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

iso74
Corner Soul

Post by iso74 »

And when the Matt Gaetz stuff came out you got QAnon believers saying, "I don't believe it! Let's see the evidence!" Like Hillary Clinton running a satanic-pedophile ring from a pizza parlour is a well-substantiated fact.

Jordan Klepper's videos of talking to Trump supporters are unbelievable. And hilarious. Ah, cognitive bias, that's liberal elite bullshit!

I used to read a lot about the Nazis, particularly during the Weimar Republic. Always wanted to know how and why it happened, that they could get take power after getting 40% of the vote. Then one day, a couple of years ago, I thought, "Why am I bothering reading history? It's happening right now all over the world!"

There's been quite a few times when i've felt so depressed and frustrated that i've wanted to switch off from it all. But then I always think how irresponsible it would have been to have said in the 1930s, "Oh, I can't read about Fascism and the Nazis, it's too fuckin' annoying!"